Michael Bourn: An Elite Source of Speed? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Michael Bourn: An Elite Source of Speed?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Michael Bourn: An Elite Source of Speed?

Postby EverybodyHits » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:13 am

just having him on your bench and off someone else's roster is worth 3-4 roto points. fantastic ;-D

matsui in the 2-hole is also going to help a ton. he'll wait for him steal 2nd - then bunt him to 3rd. unlike pence who usually fouled of 2-pitches then popped up !+)
EverybodyHits
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pat189 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:42 am

He's especially good in H2H leagues..behind in steals? Just plug Bourn in the lineup. Houston is running A LOT..even Tejada has swiped 2 bags, and I believe Berkman has 3.

When will Towles join in on the fun? He's got a OBP around .400..so he's been getting on.
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Sea Dog Fan » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:09 pm

He's out till this weekend according to yahoo, I forgot what type of injury.
Sea Dog Fan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rudeboy21 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:10 pm

groin
rudeboy21
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Bwanna » Wed May 14, 2008 9:54 am

Matt Buser wrote:If Michael Bourn could raise his average above .198 or his on-base percentage above .269, he'd really be something. Here's an unscientific study: Bourn has a steal every 1.94 trips to first base (1B+BB+HBP for our purposes). Jose Reyes' figure in 2007 (78 SB) was once every 2.70 trips and Rickey Henderson's was 1.72 during his record-setting 1982 season in which he had 130 steals.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby The Mighty Trow » Thu May 15, 2008 12:02 pm

Bwanna wrote:
Matt Buser wrote:If Michael Bourn could raise his average above .198 or his on-base percentage above .269, he'd really be something. Here's an unscientific study: Bourn has a steal every 1.94 trips to first base (1B+BB+HBP for our purposes). Jose Reyes' figure in 2007 (78 SB) was once every 2.70 trips and Rickey Henderson's was 1.72 during his record-setting 1982 season in which he had 130 steals.

Thats the kind of stuff I love to hear. But that average was killing me... its below the Mendoza if I recall correctly. I just traded him straight up for Justin Upton... those steals will be dearly missed, but hey there is always next year to draft him ;-D
The Mighty Trow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby byfrcp » Thu May 15, 2008 6:39 pm

More like an elite source of K's and Bad AVG. :~(

And when the Astros make the correct baseball move and he starts hitting 8th he'll be stealing even less. :-[
byfrcp
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby superslugger616 » Thu May 15, 2008 6:44 pm

idk why i started him this week...he sucks so bad at getting on base. every f'n game is an 0-fer
superslugger616
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Millhouse » Thu May 15, 2008 7:22 pm

byfrcp wrote:More like an elite source of K's and Bad AVG. :~(

And when the Astros make the correct baseball move and he starts hitting 8th he'll be stealing even less. :-[

you think he can't hit now? wait until he moves to the #8 spot and sees ZERO hittable pitches per AB. he's a one category wonder. speed without OB skills, frustrating combo.
Millhouse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Ender » Fri May 16, 2008 9:22 am

Personally I think the groin is still bothering him and it is suppressing his other stats. He does not project as a low AVG hitter, not high AVG either though.

Also batting 8th does not give you fewer good pitches to hit, that is a myth. In most cases pitchers go after the 8 hitter to either let the pitcher lead off the next inning or to keep him out of a bunting situation. When we looked at the data for the Brewers, JJ Hardy had the most pitches against in the zone of anyone on the team and he is batting right before the pitcher.

2 outs and runners on is about the only time you really pitch around the #8 hitter and then only in the first 5-6 innings.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers