Thoughts on Nick Markakis: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thoughts on Nick Markakis:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Nick Markakis:

Postby horatio » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:58 am

He had a great year last year but what do you all think his HR ceiling is? Will he hit 25 this year?

Also he had 18 stolen bases last year but he was caught 6 times, anybody think he'll be less likely to get the green light this year?
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Thoughts on Nick Markakis:

Postby rib217 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:05 pm

I don't see any reason why he doesnt get the green light. I am planning 20-22 SB with 25 or so HR, he should just continue to get better!!
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:17 pm

I think he can post 30 HR, 20 SB as soon as this year, but Roberts being traded could have some bearing on his RBI total and the lineup protection a bit lacking. Markakis should produce well nonetheless.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 451)

Postby hot4tx » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:41 pm

All things being equal with a player's lineup getting a lot worse, I'd look for his batting average and HRs to dip just a bit (as well as his Rs and RBIs) but his SB chances to go up. Now depending on the strides he makes as a hitter, that could change.

I'd predict about the same for HR and average, with less Rs and RBI but maybe a few more SBs as they should give him the green light even more if no one is there to knock him in. Also his OBP might go up if they are more careful and pitch around him a bit.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 208)

Postby Field » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:57 pm

Does he really have 20+ SB type of speed? I'm somewhat skeptical, he seems to be more of a 10 SB or so player. In his rookie season and his last year in the minors he only managed to get 4 SBs total. I guess the stolen bases might be more of a product of him and the O's trying to make something happen - still, expecting 20+ isn't really wise. There are actually some comparisons to be made between him and Jason Bay a few years ago with regards to team situation and SBs; however, Markakis' career is much more advanced than Bay's was at the same age.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby stevethumb » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:06 pm

best oriole greek ever !! way ahead of gus triandos and milt pappas

look for 25-100-15 .295 $26 value comps are abreu and rios
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:18 pm

Field wrote:Does he really have 20+ SB type of speed? I'm somewhat skeptical, he seems to be more of a 10 SB or so player. In his rookie season and his last year in the minors he only managed to get 4 SBs total. I guess the stolen bases might be more of a product of him and the O's trying to make something happen - still, expecting 20+ isn't really wise. There are actually some comparisons to be made between him and Jason Bay a few years ago with regards to team situation and SBs; however, Markakis' career is much more advanced than Bay's was at the same age.

Well, he stole 18 in 2007 so 20+ is not so far out of the question. I also believe most of his SB came after Palazzo was fired. Also account for the poor lineup support and I can see him getting the green light. I'd expect around 15 and anything above is just gravy.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby rib217 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:25 pm

Is the O's lineup really that much different than last year? Obviously if Roberts leaves that is a different story but what is so different from last year? Tejada is gone but you added Jones and Luke Scott. It's pretty much the same, with potential to be better if the young guys develop throughout the year.
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 20)

Postby Russell James » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:24 pm

I love Markakis in fantasy because he gives me something in every stat.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The River » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:48 pm

A cheap 5 tool OF. Even thought it looks like Roberts may be traded, that should only affect his RBI total but nonetheless the O's lineup does have some nice rookies surrounding the Greek Freak in Adam Jones and Luke Scott.
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers