Soriano question for Ranger fans - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Soriano question for Ranger fans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Soriano question for Ranger fans

Postby Pete O » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:36 am

In my league, position eligibility is only for position that player is currently playing, so if Soriano gets moved to the OF to start new season, that is where he is eligible, not 2B. Is there any talk in Texas that they may keep him at 2B, making him my first round pick, 4th overall. Or are they going to put him in the OF, in which case I would lean toward Todd Helton.
Pete O
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mightyian5 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:14 am

theres talk of him playing at either cf, 2b or ss. i have a feeling that hell end up playing ss, but either way, hell maintain his 2b eligibility, and that first round choice will still be justified.
theyre coming.....
mightyian5
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ZAZ » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:28 am

My question is does he make the All Star game as an OF? As a 2B he's a lock of course every year. The Yanks wanted to maybe move him to LF after last season but he put up a stink about it. I suspected then that he liked his All Star status and how it can get him more money at contract time, so he wanted to stay put. I wonder how he's feeling about the possible move now?
ZAZ
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tlef316 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 11:34 am

if the guy has 20+ HR and 20+ SB's at the break he is going to make the all star game. he might not start though

C- Pudge/posada
1B- Delgado or giambi
2B- Boone(if soriano moves)
SS- Nomar/Tejada/Jeter?(Prob. Nomar though)
3B- A-Rod
OF- Ichiro(no matter what kind of year he is having, the japanese will stuff the ballot box)
OF- Vlad(always a leading vote getter)
OF- tons of guys could be at this spot, since its a popularity contest
-soriano, manny, sheffield, beltran, vernon wells, matsui and mags are all possibilities
welcome home andy
tlef316
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Madison » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:20 pm

As a Ranger fan, what I've been hearing down here is one of two scenarios.

Option 1--Soriano plays 2B, Mike Young shifts to SS, and either Nivar or Nix plays center field.

Option 2--Soriano plays center field and Eric Young plays SS.

Haven't heard an official announcement just yet on the matter. I know it's not very helpful in your situation, just letting you know what the papers and the news is saying down here. Personally, I hope they let him play 2B, but we'll just have to wait and see.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby John Bonzo » Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:52 pm

Showalter also said he would give Soriano a shot at SS, but it does not seem to be as prominent as the two scenerios that Madison mentioned
John Bonzo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby djacks » Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:43 pm

from what i've read, the rangers want to give Nix a shot a CF, so that leaves Soriano at 2B or SS...

MYoung has more recent experience at SS, but Soriano played there in Japan and in the minors, and is said to have a better arm from short than he does from 2B. For my fantasy teams sake I hope he stays at 2B with MYoung at SS...but who knows?

EYoung is probably best served as a utility guy at both MI spots and in the OF...he played some LF last year.
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pete O » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:36 pm

Is he worth drafting #4 overall even if he is only eligible as OF? His numbers are close to Beltran.
Pete O
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Pedantic » Thu Feb 19, 2004 9:44 pm

Pete O wrote:Is he worth drafting #4 overall even if he is only eligible as OF? His numbers are close to Beltran.

I'd say his number mostly surpass Beltran's.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:13 am

Rangers know they arent playing for anything this year. There is absolutely no reason for them to use Eric Young. They are going to experiment with they kids this year in my opinion. Soriano will not be playing the outfield. I think hes going to wind up being given a chance at SS. It will help his value for this season, but long term if he switched to short his value goes down slighty down because SS is deeper than 2b for the time being. He has never played OF,I dont think they will even try him there and in the event that they do to experiment, he will be bad enough there for them to switch him back to the infield very fast.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers