Cleat Marks - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Cleat Marks

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Cleat Marks

Postby WebHamster » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:45 am

This thread contains comments on Madison Jones's Article "Cleat Marks", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on March 11, 2008. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 400)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Cleat Marks

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:56 am

Good point about Japan. It really sucks to have the first game there. It sucks even more if it's your team who is going there. I was pretty angry when the Yankees and Tampa opened there a few years ago. A 4:00am wakeup call is not convenient for those of us wanting to see our favorite team open the season.

:-t
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Old_Style » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:23 am

In order for me to watch the “actual” first game of the 2008 Major League Baseball season that counts for the standings, I’ll have to be up and awake at 2:05 AM Central Time on Tuesday, March 25th. Note to Bud Selig and Major League Baseball: Some of us have kids in school, some of us have jobs, and quite a few people have both, so not all of us can tune in at that time of morning.

I think we should all pitch in and get our good friend a TiVo. :-D

I do agree, that having opening day in Japan is kind of a drag.
It would be cool if MLB did something like the NBA has been doing for a couple years now. Sometime before the season starts, send four ball clubs over to Japan and have them play their baseball teams as an exhibition.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Smipims » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:55 am

Well I know the NHL had their season open up in the UK, but that's not as far away as Japan AND they had it on a weekend at a time when pretty much all of America could watch.

Yay for hockey! ;-D

Perhaps MLB could do something a bit cleverer like that.

On another note: why the hell Japan? Its not like they aren't already obsessed with this game. Pick somewhere where baseball isn't as popular like, say, Switzerland or something.
~Smipims~
Smipims
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:10 pm

I also like the point about Japan. Globalization into sports is all the rage these days. Even the English Premier League is mulling over having an extra game for each club to play a game abroad which I think is absurd in a season that's a long grind. I don't mind that exhibition games are being played abroad (i.e. Dodgers in China), but league games there shouldn't happen there. Fans and casual looky-loos will pay to see our clubs play, even if it's a game with no bearing on anything.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:13 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:A 4:00am wakeup call is not convenient for those of us wanting to see our favorite team open the season.

Whenever Man United have a 12pm British time fixture (4am here), I still cringe even if I've grown used to it. Takes special dedication and a rivalry match like Liverpool to drag me out of bed. Furthermore, I'd have to drive to the pub if the game is on Setanta Sports where I wake up with a few pints of Guinness. :-b
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby AussieDodger » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:47 am

Madison Jones wrote:The fire sale in Oakland caught my attention as well. Not so much as in who and how many players got shipped off, more about the ones who were not. Billy Beane is a very sharp man, and while I don’t know exactly what his current plan is, it can be fun to speculate a bit. My guess is that we’ll see Eric Chavez, Huston Street, and possibly even Rich Harden moved before the trading deadline this season. Those three guys are not enough to hold the A’s in contention, but they could land Oakland with some nice compensation via trades to contenders at the deadline. To add a fantasy spin to this, a player worth watching in Oakland is Bobby Crosby. Yes I’m aware of his injury history and I’m aware the lineup isn’t as potent, but someone’s got to score runs and drive runs in. I think Crosby will be a large piece of that. Let’s not forget that he did hit 22 home runs as a rookie, and did manage to steal 10 bases last season. If he can get his average into the .270 range like he did in his second year, a line of .270 with 20 home runs and 15 steals from your shortstop isn’t too shabby at all. And you can’t beat the price, I’m seeing him go undrafted in most leagues. He’s a gamble of course and I’m not saying to bank on him, but he’s got a better chance of putting up a more valuable line than some of the other players I’m seeing go in the final rounds of a lot of drafts.

I don't think Eric Chavez will be on the field enough in 2008 to generate big trade interest. It's only spring training and already he's out with back problems. He might be an Esteban Loaiza style salary dump, but then who wants to pay $26+ mil for someone who can't stay fit?

Huston Street might be gone in the blink of an eye, but I think a closer vacancy would have to open on another team first. I can't see Uncle Billy screwing over Dombrowski or Shapiro (two teams with dodgy closers).

The thing with Crosby this year (if he can stay fit), is that apparently Oakland has loosened it's stance on SB slightly. So that could be worth 10 SB to him this year. A full healthy year to him could mean a 20/25 year.
However......

thebaseballcube.com wrote:Disabled List:

Apr 6,2005 - 15 Day Disabled list - (stress fracture in his ribs ) ... May 30,2005 - Activated ... Aug 31,2005 - 15 Day Disabled list - (fractured left ankle) ... Sep 19,2005 - Activated ... Aug 4,2006 - 15 Day Disabled list - (lower back strain) ... Aug 18,2006 - Activated ... Aug 25,2006 - 15 Day Disabled list - (lower back strain) ... etc etc

And

Bobby Crosby-SS - Athletics Mar. 3 2008 - 3:44 pm et

Bobby Crosby suffered upper back spasms while taking grounders on Monday and is day-to-day.
Crosby homered on Saturday and Sunday, but he reminded everyone today why he's only a fallback option at shortstop in AL-only leagues.
Source: San Francisco Chronicle

I wish Oakland didn't have so many players made of glass. !+)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Madison » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:30 pm

Agreed, Chavez's health will play into it. I still think it's very possible he gets moved because it wouldn't take much due to his contract. A decent prospect or two, and with Beane being able to pick some real diamonds out there, he could get what appears to be a mid-level prospect, dump Chavez's salary, and wind up with a solid player at a cheap price in a couple of years.

As to Street, there's always a market for closers, no worries there at all.

And Crosby's injury history: A broken hand because he got hit by a 98-mph fastball. A broken ankle after a collision at home plate. The ribs was because he got hit by a pitch and he got spiked at the bag which was the hand injury. The back is a concern, but more than anything, he's just been unlucky. And while I say the back is a concern, don't forget he's already hit 3 home runs this spring. Can't be that big of an issue. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Article Discussions