Ryan Doumit - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ryan Doumit

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ryan Doumit

Postby soty » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:14 pm

What is the latest on him? Is he going to have a spot in the lineup this year? I have my last pick of my off line keeper draft coming up and I am debating on taking him. I like his C/OF eligibility and I think it could come in handy for my team since I would like to have one more OF and a backup C to play when Towles doesnt.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Ryan Doumit

Postby mak1277 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:53 pm

If he plays, it's going to be at catcher. I don't think he's done anything else besides catch this spring so far. I really believe that they WANT him to win the starting job over Paulino. Unfortunately, he hasn't done much at the plate this spring.

I think he's a great option at C if he does get the job, but I think it's 60/40 at best right now.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby soty » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:51 pm

mak1277 wrote:If he plays, it's going to be at catcher. I don't think he's done anything else besides catch this spring so far. I really believe that they WANT him to win the starting job over Paulino. Unfortunately, he hasn't done much at the plate this spring.

I think he's a great option at C if he does get the job, but I think it's 60/40 at best right now.
First off sorry guys I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry about that.

As for Doumit, you dont sound too sure that he will be playing this year. Like I said he dual eligibility would be very nice to have, but I dont want to draft a guy that is not going to play. Not sure what to do at this point. :-?
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:13 pm

Keep in mind that Nady is one of the guys targeted by the Mets to deal with Alou's injury. If that happens, Doumit could step into the OF.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby soty » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:17 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Keep in mind that Nady is one of the guys targeted by the Mets to deal with Alou's injury. If that happens, Doumit could step into the OF.
Very true I forgot about that. Thanks for reminding me. Maybe I will draft Doumit.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Postby mak1277 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:16 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Keep in mind that Nady is one of the guys targeted by the Mets to deal with Alou's injury. If that happens, Doumit could step into the OF.

That's not impossible, but I don't think it's likely, even if Nady is traded.

First crack at RF (I think) would be given to Steve Pearce. If he's not ready, I wouldn't be surprised if they let McLouth play there and start Morgan in CF.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:44 pm

mak1277 wrote:

First crack at RF (I think) would be given to Steve Pearce. If he's not ready, I wouldn't be surprised if they let McLouth play there and start Morgan in CF.

The Pirates have been so protective of Pearce that I can't see them throwing him out there into the starting lineup at the same time he tries to learn a new position in the field. I think it's much more likely that they'd send him down to AAA to get some experience in RF, while letting someone else handle the OF.

Nyjer Morgan is a 27 year old who has a career .724 OPS in the minors. The old Pirate organization might have been fooled by an empty .300 batting average. I don't think the new group is that dumb.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:48 pm

mak1277 wrote:

The Pirates have been so protective of Pearce that I can't see them throwing him out there into the starting lineup at the same time he tries to learn a new position in the field. I think it's much more likely that they'd send him down to AAA to get some experience in RF, while letting someone else handle the OF.

Nyjer Morgan is a 27 year old who has a career .724 OPS in the minors. The old Pirate organization might have been fooled by an empty .300 batting average. I don't think the new group is that dumb.
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:55 pm

mak1277 wrote:

Yeah I love Doumit's bat but I don't see the Pirates giving him much playing time. Plus he is ALWAYS injured so it's hard to predict anything positive out of him.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby soty » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:01 pm

Well the more I read everyones notes, the more it scares me to pick him. He has upside, but will he get the playing time? Hard to tell.
soty
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicGraphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers