What does ROTO mean to fantasy sports? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

What does ROTO mean to fantasy sports?

What does ROTO mean to fantasy sports?

Postby Regalus » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:28 pm

Sorry but this is a bit of a Newb Question. I was wondering what roto means in terms of fantasy sports. Why are there so many sites like ROTONATION, ROTOWORLD, iROTO, etc. People call themselves the ROTO king, ROTO guru. Andy Behrens writes articles in ROTO Arcade. I tried searching the internet, but didnt find much useful information. Can someone please clarify this up for me?
Regalus
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What does ROTO mean to fantasy sports?

Postby irishbar » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Regalus wrote:Sorry but this is a bit of a Newb Question. I was wondering what roto means in terms of fantasy sports. Why are there so many sites like ROTONATION, ROTOWORLD, iROTO, etc. People call themselves the ROTO king, ROTO guru. Andy Behrens writes articles in ROTO Arcade. I tried searching the internet, but didnt find much useful information. Can someone please clarify this up for me?

What we now call fantasy baseball (well, many of us) used to be referred to as rotisserie baseball. The name, according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_baseball) originated "from the New York City restaurant La Rotisserie Francaise where [Daniel Okrent] and some friends used to meet and play." Okrent is credited by most as one of the "founders" of fantasy baseball.
irishbar
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby AcidRock23 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:55 am

Also, Roto = the form where your stats are tallied all year long and the winner is determined by the best end of season numbers. Head to head (H2H) = the variant where you have a weekly matchup and each matchup is decided on a weekly basis. I think that basic Yahoo give you 'W-L' based on your # of cats but you can also play where a 8-2 category massacre will still give the winner only the W for the week, if that makes sense.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby stevethumb » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:22 pm

imagine the fortune glen waggoner and daniel okrent would have accrued had they copywighted/trademarked their idea

welcome to the cafe, regalus ;-D
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Return to Beginner's Forum