Max Innings in Roto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Max Innings in Roto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Max Innings in Roto

Postby Murderers Rowboat » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:04 pm

My keeper league voted on a couple of changes this season: 1) we are now doing daily instead of weekly changes; and 2) we have put a cap on total innings. I am concerned that the IP limit, which has been set at 1150, may be too low. How can one go about determining a good IP cap? We start 3 SP, 2 RP, and 2 P. The stat categories are standard 5X5 plus quality starts.

My concern is twofold. For simplicity's sake, let's say I start the same 5 SPs every week (meaning I start SPs in my P slots). Now let's say that these SPs average 210 IP. That's 1050 innings right there, leaving only 100 IP for the two RPs. That would mean that my IP would almost certainly be capped, essentially penalizing teams with workhorse pitchers. Secondly, this math means that I wouldn't really be able to start my bench pitchers when my "starting 5" were off, since it would accelerate the accumulation of IPs to that low limit. It kind of seems silly to discourage people from starting their extra pitchers. It also seems that part of the fun of moving to daily changes is that I would now be able to play those guys instead of determining at the beginning of the week who would have to sit (but now I'll still have to make those decisions).

I think the IP limit was set to prevent people from churning pitchers and/or punting saves (i.e. by using SP/RP eligible players to try to accumulate as many Wins, Ks, and Quality Starts as possible--we had a major controversy about this last issue last year which led to the changes). Still 1150 seems too low. Do I have the right idea or am I on the wrong track?
Murderers Rowboat
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Max Innings in Roto

Postby Field » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:06 pm

I like a 1350 innings limit. In standard yahoo leagues the limit is 1250 which I find to be a bit restrictive.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Old_Style » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:16 pm

I've got no gripes with Yahoo's 1250 IP limit.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Grouperman941 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:38 pm

That is a little low -- around 1300 is about right for those settings.

However, if everyone has the same rules, it is fair. You just have to figure out how to manage to it. If there are 26 scoring periods, you need about 44/week IP on average. Use the best mix of pitchers, based on your matchups, that gets you about 45 innings. Some weeks you will get more, others less. As the end of the season approaches, you can check how you are doing against the pace and adjust. If you have really good matchups one week, pile on the starts. Make up for it when matchups are bad.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:19 pm

We use 1450 in my league, because that's how many IP the typical team sends the season with in real baseball.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Bloody Sox » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:51 am

With the default Yahoo settings you are using (2 SP, 2 RP, 3 P), 1250 seems to work well.

You are right that 1150 seems really low... though you can't assume your 5 starters will average 210 IP each. Assuming more like 175, especially if you consider that you might play matchups here and there and sit some of those guys for their matchups against great offenses.

Worst case, just use the low IP limit to your advantage - only run with 4 SP and load up on middle relievers.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby swyck » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:29 pm

Murderers Rowboat wrote:My keeper league voted on a couple of changes this season: 1) we are now doing daily instead of weekly changes; and 2) we have put a cap on total innings. I am concerned that the IP limit, which has been set at 1150, may be too low. How can one go about determining a good IP cap? We start 3 SP, 2 RP, and 2 P. The stat categories are standard 5X5 plus quality starts.

My concern is twofold. For simplicity's sake, let's say I start the same 5 SPs every week (meaning I start SPs in my P slots). Now let's say that these SPs average 210 IP. That's 1050 innings right there, leaving only 100 IP for the two RPs. That would mean that my IP would almost certainly be capped, essentially penalizing teams with workhorse pitchers. Secondly, this math means that I wouldn't really be able to start my bench pitchers when my "starting 5" were off, since it would accelerate the accumulation of IPs to that low limit. It kind of seems silly to discourage people from starting their extra pitchers. It also seems that part of the fun of moving to daily changes is that I would now be able to play those guys instead of determining at the beginning of the week who would have to sit (but now I'll still have to make those decisions).

I think the IP limit was set to prevent people from churning pitchers and/or punting saves (i.e. by using SP/RP eligible players to try to accumulate as many Wins, Ks, and Quality Starts as possible--we had a major controversy about this last issue last year which led to the changes). Still 1150 seems too low. Do I have the right idea or am I on the wrong track?

Considering that only 19 SPs had over 210 IP's last year, you'd have to be reaching for SP's to have 5 of them. A 12 team league would on average have 1 1/2 per team. I think you're overstating the IPs your 5 SPS would come up with. If they average 200 IP, then that leaves 150 for your RPs, a more reasonable number, but I think even a 200 IP average is high for 5 SPs since there would be the inevitable injuries and washouts.

Since you have 7 starting pitching slots I'd recommend using the Yahoo 1250 limit anyway.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby chipper » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:24 pm

Yeah I'd say 1150 is too low. If they are worried about churning, try making a Max Moves limit instead of such a low IP Max.

I'd say 1300 IP Max and 100 max moves would be solid settings to make them happy.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby AllDay » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:56 pm

1450 is the correct-ish answer.

You probably have a 'games played' max of 162 per position. In efect that is a full season.

Pitching should be the same. Given a standard 9 inning game, you take 9 x 162 = 1458.

Add a few innings for 'extra innings' games, take a few off for 'rain shortened' games and most ball clubs generally wind up tossing about 1450 IP.

1400-1500 IP isn't exactly easy to achieve by standing pat with your rotation, so it encourages a bit of 'spot starting', using MR's, etc. It adds a bit of strategy IMO reaching those limits.
AllDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ramble2 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:15 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:We use 1450 in my league, because that's how many IP the typical team sends the season with in real baseball.

Ditto. We did a similar calculation as AllDay above. And we just looked at the range of IP for MLB teams over the course of a season.

MLB average last season: 1447.
"The game has a cleanness. If you do a good job, the numbers say so. You don't have to ask anyone or play politics. You don't have to wait for the reviews." - Sandy Koufax
ramble2
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers