David Price hits 99 mph - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Price hits 99 mph

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: David Price hits 99 mph

Postby RAmst23 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:46 pm

Rays will and should keep him in the minors for the season/September call-ups. they won't be competing this year, and no reason to start the arbitration clock ticking on Price quiet yet. Let him do well in the minors this year, build up his strength, then bring him up into the rotation by '09. Not too bad a situation in Tampa where they almost have too many stud SP prospects!
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:53 pm

The Rays should wait another year before starting his arbitration clock. They might have a shot at 75 to 80 wins this year if thing break right for them, but they aren't going to be competing for the AL East title quite yet. So there is no need to race him to majors quickly only to lose him to free agency a year earlier.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:10 pm

If Price dominates like Lincecum did, then it would be very hard for them to keep him down. To be honest, I don't think that they should if he really is lights out.

The velocity is great news although it was only for 1 IP. This means he will be around mid 90s on average throughout the start.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby jlm53089 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:46 am

The FO is smart when it comes to young pitchers for the Rays.
Let him dominate AA and AAA, then ease him into it.

Even if he dominates AAA like everyone thinks he will, I do not think they will call him up.
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:55 am

Even if he does dominate, it wouldn't be likely unless there is a rash of injuries to Rays' SPs. Their top 4 starters are locked in, and with McGee, Davis, and Niemann all actually having pitched innings at the professional level, the Rays have several options. There is simply no reason to possibly set back Price's development.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:22 am

J35J wrote:I wouldn't want him starting straight out of college personally. I'd put him in AA and if he dominates after a month I'd let him finish out the year in AAA. Then give him a look in Sept and give him every opportunity to win a job in '09.

Wise words from a wise man ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Old_Style » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:40 am

jake_harv88 wrote:
J35J wrote:I wouldn't want him starting straight out of college personally. I'd put him in AA and if he dominates after a month I'd let him finish out the year in AAA. Then give him a look in Sept and give him every opportunity to win a job in '09.

The words may be wise, but I don't know about the second part of that statement...
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:30 am

Old_Style wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:

The words may be wise, but I don't know about the second part of that statement...

!+)

I was wondering who was going to say it.....I see how it is Old_Spice....I see! }:-) :-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 435)

Postby raiders_umpire » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:11 am

If Price dominates like Lincecum did in the minors last year, we might see him this year, but I would count on him seeing him in 2009.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:27 am

Old_Style wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:

The words may be wise, may be not.
IMO if Price is good enough to play with the big boys than he shouldnt waste time in AA or AAA.
After a month of excelling (a la Lincecum) at AA just skip AAA and install him into the rotation. And shut him down when he reaches a certain pitch limit (and not Inning limit) for the year.

Arbitration clock?
He is signed through 2012. If the Rays cant conjure up money to extend their stud players by 2012, then they don't deserve a spot in the Majors.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers