David Price hits 99 mph - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

David Price hits 99 mph

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

David Price hits 99 mph

Postby bsblallstr » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:32 pm

A lot of people thought he could go straigh to the pros last year, he was pretty dominant in his spring start, when is he going to get to the majors, I think the Rays should bring him up pretty quick, like mark prior with the cubs his first season. He has a plus plus slider and throws some serious heat. Your thoughts
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: David Price hits 99 mph

Postby pokerplaya » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:42 pm

I highly doubt you see him before September, or possibly opening day '09.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Old_Style » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:48 pm

The smart thing to do would be to keep him in the minor for at least one season. He won't be ready for a major league work load coming straight out of college.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pat189 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:56 pm

I watched him against the Yankees and wow can he throw hard. He nailed a yankee player right near his elbow :-° looked like it hurt.
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AcidRock23 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:54 pm

bsblallstr wrote:A lot of people thought he could go straigh to the pros last year, he was pretty dominant in his spring start, when is he going to get to the majors, I think the Rays should bring him up pretty quick, like mark prior with the cubs his first season. He has a plus plus slider and throws some serious heat. Your thoughts

LOL, I am not sure that 'bring him up quick, like Mark Prior with the Cubs' worked out very well for either Prior or the Cubs...although I suspect that it was the freak collision w/ Marcus Giles that did him in...

That being said, I have read so much hype stuff on Price that I went ahead and got him at our auction. I am not in need of SP too badly and figure if he comes up and does well it would be a cheap filler. I don't see why the Rays would bring him up though, since they are still in kind of a build for the future mode more than trying to contend just yet. They seem to be filled w/ potential all over their lineup though... :-?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby bsblallstr » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:22 pm

Mark Prior got injured for 2 reasons
1) That freak collision and some others with his own 1B, Mr. Choi
2) Dusty Baker should know better than throwing a young pitcher for 230 innings, not smart

now that said, the rays will not contend this year, but if price can get some experience and is an ace type, they could contend next year for sure, they have a great nucleus of hitters and with shields kazmir garza and price they would have an amazing staff if price is that good, so i dont think that they will compete with the aging red sox and yankees, remember that the sox lineup is very old and that the yanks top end of the rotation is old, now i know they both will spend, but i do think the rays will make the playoffs in either 2009 or 2010
Reyes and guerrero, the two most blessed players in the league, not to mention the most fun to watch
bsblallstr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:28 pm

I wouldn't want him starting straight out of college personally. I'd put him in AA and if he dominates after a month I'd let him finish out the year in AAA. Then give him a look in Sept and give him every opportunity to win a job in '09.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:34 pm

He has no shot of making the rotation and almost no chance of being brought up this season. He would have to dominate every start and than maybe get a September call up, but even then I don't see the Rays going it. They have said they want all their pitchers to have a combined 200 IP from AA and AAA before they come up and he won't get 200 innings this year
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:47 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:He has no shot of making the rotation and almost no chance of being brought up this season. He would have to dominate every start and than maybe get a September call up, but even then I don't see the Rays going it. They have said they want all their pitchers to have a combined 200 IP from AA and AAA before they come up and he won't get 200 innings this year

...which is smart, IMHO!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 398)

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:11 pm

J35J wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:He has no shot of making the rotation and almost no chance of being brought up this season. He would have to dominate every start and than maybe get a September call up, but even then I don't see the Rays going it. They have said they want all their pitchers to have a combined 200 IP from AA and AAA before they come up and he won't get 200 innings this year

...which is smart, IMHO!

completely agree
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers