Do You Use PFM During your Auction/Draft? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Do You Use PFM During your Auction/Draft?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Do You Use PFM During your Auction/Draft?

Postby Charbear » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:04 pm

New to PECOTA and PFM. I understand how the two interact. I think I understand that many use the PECOTA Weighted Means data as a guide and many also download the PFM data.

What I'd like to know is do some/most/few of you with access to PFM actually use it during your auction or draft?

I know there are a lot of very experienced people on FBC. I apprecaite your thoughts and discussion. Thanks!
Charbear
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Do You Use PFM During your Auction/Draft?

Postby makewayhomer » Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:13 pm

I use the static numbers, I don't update it/use inflation.
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:28 pm

Charbear wrote:What I'd like to know is do some/most/few of you with access to PFM actually use it during your auction or draft?

Nope. The PFM doesn't take into account the average draft position so you would end up taking guys way way earlier than you would need to. For example, PECOTA thinks Milledge is 8th round value (or better). If you took him in the 8th round, you'd be missing out on someone who was perceived to have value in the eighth round, and still be able to take Milledge in Round 18-20. That's why ADP is so crucial in drafting. It's more about when you can obtain value that obtaining the value.

Here's a fairly decent example of what you should be doing.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:13 pm

You have to be careful not to wait too long though. I usually average out PECOTA and Forecaster with a some of my own thoughts and that gives me a good cheat sheet that balances out PECOTA's craziness with Shandler's craziness and I get the players I want above their ADP but not too far above. It's not scientific but I like how it's worked.

As for using the PFM application, I've never actually used the draft day features but that's mainly because my money league is a straight draft.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Steve-o » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:30 pm

jfg wrote:You have to be careful not to wait too long though. ... I get the players I want above their ADP but not too far above.

That's the key. ADP means crap if you're not also looking at a standard deviation of the same.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Charbear » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:44 am

Great info and input. Thanks to all who replied.

Does anyone use the PFM, with inflation, during their auction. I can see where that would be a great benefit based on who has been taken, the $$$ spent, position scarcity, playing time, etc. I've used similar programs in football and basketball.

Thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations?

Great site. The Forums are tremendous!
Charbear
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby makewayhomer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:57 am

Steve-o wrote:
Charbear wrote:What I'd like to know is do some/most/few of you with access to PFM actually use it during your auction or draft?

Nope. The PFM doesn't take into account the average draft position so you would end up taking guys way way earlier than you would need to. For example, PECOTA thinks Milledge is 8th round value (or better). If you took him in the 8th round, you'd be missing out on someone who was perceived to have value in the eighth round, and still be able to take Milledge in Round 18-20. That's why ADP is so crucial in drafting. It's more about when you can obtain value that obtaining the value.

Here's a fairly decent example of what you should be doing.

this is true, but I think the OP was more talking about auction drafts. here, using the PFM as a drafting tool is much more appropriate I think.
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby makewayhomer » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:01 am

Charbear wrote:Great info and input. Thanks to all who replied.

Does anyone use the PFM, with inflation, during their auction. I can see where that would be a great benefit based on who has been taken, the $$$ spent, position scarcity, playing time, etc. I've used similar programs in football and basketball.

Thoughts? Experiences? Recommendations?

Great site. The Forums are tremendous!

I agree, I just think the interface is super clunky to be used in real time. I broke down and bought rotolab, and spent hours fiddling with the projections to get it similar to PFM. I'll use rotolab during the draft, and I think this is way, way better than PFM as a draft tool.

plus, my draft is live, and I'm not sure what the deal with interent connection will be. you don't want no/slow internet connection if you're using pfm
makewayhomer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:00 pm

jfg wrote:You have to be careful not to wait too long though. I usually average out PECOTA and Forecaster with a some of my own thoughts and that gives me a good cheat sheet that balances out PECOTA's craziness with Shandler's craziness and I get the players I want above their ADP but not too far above. It's not scientific but I like how it's worked.

I take it a few steps further and mix in Rotowire (for another random guy's craziness), Zips, and Marcels. I find it gives you a nice blend of potential ability versus past results and prevents you from overdrafting rookies/young players since Marcels and I think Zips as well have a healthy regression to league average for young players.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby jfg » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:35 pm

I think that would really water down Shandler and PECOTA though assuming you're making one big cheat sheet. I don't want to take out too much of the craziness!
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers