Johnny Cueto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Johnny Cueto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Johnny Cueto

Postby nsulham » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Rotoworld:

Manager Dusty Baker hinted Saturday that Johnny Cueto would make the Reds' starting rotation if camp broke today.
"Who's better than him?" Baker asked. Now you're catching on, Dusty. Cueto hit 97 on the radar gun Friday while striking out four during three scoreless innings against Pittsburgh.

MLB.com:

The Reds have several pitchers competing to fill the back three spots in the rotation this spring. Because he had logged just four Triple-A starts, indications before camp were that Cueto had an outside chance against the likes of Bailey, Matt Belisle, Jeremy Affeldt and Edinson Volquez. The odds appeared even longer once Josh Fogg signed as a free agent late last month.

Not too long, perhaps.

"I've seen a number of pitchers come through Double-A and spend very little time at Triple-A," Baker said. "Talking to a lot of scouts, they said Double-A might be a better competitive league than Triple-A. And he throws strikes. If you throw strikes with good stuff and if you can get your off-speed stuff over, you have a chance to win. Every time he gets hit a little bit, he's got another gear."

Baker's first impression of Cueto in game action came against the Blue Jays on Sunday. The pitcher was hampered by the flu, but worked two perfect innings seemingly effortlessly.

"He could have been skipped and didn't want to skip," Baker said. "I like that. He comes to play. It also means he wants to try and make this team. You can't make it on the bench or training room. I like the young man. He's quiet. He goes about his business. You can tell he's in real good company here. He's already around [closer Francisco] Cordero and Mario Soto."

So, is this just Dusty running his mouth or is this something to keep an eye on?
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Johnny Cueto

Postby Dan Charette » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:25 pm

I will be keeping an eye on this. I've read in more than one place that he's more polished than Homer Bailey. If he's truly polished as they say and can throw 97 mph , he's certainly worth watching out for. He's not yet in the yahoo system.
I have no. 1 waiver in 3 leagues . I'll especially be looking to add him in my dynasty league.
Dan Charette
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:25 pm

I like Cueto a lot. I think he needs to start at AAA however to prove that he is ready to start pwning MLB hitters.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:49 pm

I think Dusty would be smart to call up Cueto in say, June, but I hope he won't ride Cueto's arm out as he's typically done out of most of his pitchers.

I like Cueto a lot as well, drafted him with my first round pick in my dynasty league's MILB draft. He doesn't quite have the extraordinary stuff that Homer Bailey does, but has a great repertoire and greater command of his pitches. The only knocks on him are that he's fairly small (reminds me of Oswalt in some way) and that he has the tendency to induce flyballs, which can't be a plus pitching at GABP. Cueto looks to be a prospect that will make an impact this year though.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:35 pm

It would be out of character for Dusty to keep him with the team to start the season. Dusty is notorious for favoring veterans over the young guys. Maybe Cueto is good enough (or the other pitchers are bad enough) for even Dusty to add him.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby J35J » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:46 pm

Yoda wrote:I like Cueto a lot. I think he needs to start at AAA however to prove that he is ready to start pwning MLB hitters.

Agreed with all of this. Cueto is one of the better pitchers that no one really hears about. Definately keeping an eye on this situation!
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Steve-o » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:07 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:I think Dusty would be smart to call up Cueto in say, June, but I hope he won't ride Cueto's arm out as he's typically done out of most of his pitchers.

I like Cueto a lot as well, drafted him with my first round pick in my dynasty league's MILB draft. He doesn't quite have the extraordinary stuff that Homer Bailey does, but has a great repertoire and greater command of his pitches. The only knocks on him are that he's fairly small (reminds me of Oswalt in some way) and that he has the tendency to induce flyballs, which can't be a plus pitching at GABP. Cueto looks to be a prospect that will make an impact this year though.

You're such an arrogant bastard. I wonder if you're oaked too... :-D

Anyways, Cueto is one of those pitchers where a lot of fans are high on him, but the "experts" tend to be a little lower on. I think AD's post explains the reasons why. He has better control and command of his pitchers, but his ceiling is lower than the elite level prospects. Therefore, when you start looking at the minor league numbers yourself, he jumps out as an amazing pitcher. However, his stuff likely wont translate into majors as well. He could be a decent #3 with upside to a #2.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:30 pm

I said last year that Cueto will have a better career than Bailey and I still think so, if both make the rotation I'd draft Cueto over Bailey for sure. He might not have the 'upside' but I just don't think Bailey is going to turn out as good as people expected.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby pat189 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:41 pm

Well, Cueto isn't in the Yahoo database. By the time he is, there will be articles with a big picture of him on the front page so everyone in your league will know who he is. :-B
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby kemper5 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:23 am

Nice articles like this, with big shiny pictures that say pick me up if you are in a CBS league.. Yahoo, why no love for this guy in your datbase? His name is picking up fast, the masses are catching on and it looks like he may get himself a rotaion spot with the big club to start the season.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/art ... p&c_id=cin
kemper5
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers