trade Vetoable or is my league Veto happy? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

trade Vetoable or is my league Veto happy?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

trade Vetoable or is my league Veto happy?

Postby cwrtlm » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:44 am

I am from the camp that no trade should be vetoed unless clear collusion is apparent.
Team A gets Beltran
Team B gets Longoria/Bonderman

10 team H2H points league, non-keeper
The trade has only been proposed for 9 hours and it already has 2 vetoes, 4 kill it.
So are the Vetoes legit or are they just being veto happy?
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: trade Vetoable or is my league Veto happy?

Postby mpoland92 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:47 am

I agree with you on the no veto unless collusion, and this trade is NOT vetoable IMO, it seems pretty decent, now that being said Beltran could have a great year, but then again so could longoria and bonderman, but there is nothing wrong with it.

help me out: viewtopic.php?t=325817

What I post is my OPINION, I have never said I was a expert, you asked for help, I gave you my help.
mpoland92
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Russell James » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:54 am

I personally avoid leagues that have league voting because people will always vote for their interest and everyone values players differently. I just want to run my team how I want to run it.

With that said that trade is not a good Pre-season trade.

Longoria is a complete wild card. He may be good, but then again he may go the way of Alex Gordon. Bonderman may have a bounce back season, but he might also suck it up again.

Beltran has been consistent for awhile now. You can pretty much gaurantee a 30 HR, 30 SB, 100 R and 100 RBI from. He is also going late first round or early second. Bondy and Longoria are going very late.

This is a borderline vetoable trade because it really is a horrible trade, but as long as you and whoever the other guy is are not colluding, it doesn't matter to me.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:02 am

The trade has only been proposed for 9 hours and it already has 2 vetoes, 4 kill it.
So are the Vetoes legit or are they just being veto happy?

Are you kidding? Of course that's vetoable. Bonderman's ADP is around 150; Longoria probably goes undrafted in most redraft leagues; and Beltran is a 2nd-rounder. The argument that, "Beltran could have a great year, but then again so could longoria and bonderman" is complete hooey. You may as well say that A-Rod for Kevin Millar is non-vetoable because Millar could have a better year; you never know. What you do know is that the team getting Beltran is being given a huge gift before the season starts with no news on any player that would change the values.

In a deep keeper league, this might be closer but it's not and so it isn't.

If you give people the right to veto, then you give away your right to complain when they do. You can only expect to be traded fairly when trades are evaluated by a commissioner or a select panel whose job is to watch out for unfair play. But if everyone can vote, then you're stuck with the results.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mpoland92 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:13 am

Beltran is a 2nd rounder????? There are a alot better OF I would rather have than Beltran in the second round, and Beltran is not one of them, his whole question was not if Beltran is a good player, and dont get me wrong he is, but my point is that he is probably the most streakiest high profile OF there is (other than maybe Dunn), but his question was is it vetoable, and no it isnt. He didnt provide us wiyth all the details like what both teams needs are and their rosters, I do agree with you in the aspect that if you do a league votes for vetoes then you lose control of ur league.

What I post is my OPINION, I have never said I was a expert, you asked for help, I gave you my help.
mpoland92
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby cwrtlm » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:18 am

Thanks, I agree with the comment about the trades. In the leagues I commish, I let members voice their concerns about the trade, but I make the final say about all trades. I only veto trades that are clearly collusion. More background, team getting Beltran probably plans to use him as a U player, already has a good OF, has extra pitching. Team getting Longoria has Figgins at 3B, and needs some power/RBI help, and also has a wealth of closers but only Kazmir as a top line starter. So the the trade benefits both sides.
C- Hundley, Iannetta
1b- Wallace
2b- Barney/Barmes
3b- J. Lopez
CO- G. Sanchez
SS- Tulo
MI- Castro
OF- Bay, Hart, Pagan, Smith, Francisco, Ankiel
U- C. Ross(DL), Cantu
P- Carpent, Billings, Volquez, Marcum, Norris, J. Vazquez, Westbrook, Wolf, E Rogers
cwrtlm
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:39 am

mpoland92 wrote:Beltran is a 2nd rounder????? There are a alot better OF I would rather have than Beltran in the second round, and Beltran is not one of them, his whole question was not if Beltran is a good player, and dont get me wrong he is, but my point is that he is probably the most streakiest high profile OF there is (other than maybe Dunn), but his question was is it vetoable, and no it isnt. He didnt provide us wiyth all the details like what both teams needs are and their rosters, I do agree with you in the aspect that if you do a league votes for vetoes then you lose control of ur league.

Yah, Beltran is a 2nd rounder. If you don't know that, you shouldn't be giving advice. This guy compliled the ADPs from different sites and Beltran was 19.89. Neither Longoria or Bonderman show up in the top 100.

Also, you should look at the #s. Beltran is not streaky; he's only had one bad year (2005). Since 2001, he's hit between .266 and .306 and hit between 26 and 41 HRs, except in 2005. Throw in about 20 SBs a year and you have a 2nd-round pick.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Matthias » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:41 am

Also, before the season starts you don't need to consider team needs: you just can consider fundamental fairness. If he really needed a front-line starter he should've been able to get a much better one in exchange for a 2nd-round pick.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mpoland92 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:18 pm

Matthias-

I dont know if you like to be a d**k to everyone or what, but he asked for advice and I gave him my OPINION, thats it... I am no expert and neither are you... thats why he and everyone else (including myself) post on here and ask for ADVICE..... I have ran my own league for 6 years now and have had FUN doin it, so I do things and draft my way and give people advice accordingly.... it is people like you that make this personal and downgrade others on here that make this no fun and why I dont come on here much... this is all for FUN and thats what I use it for, thanks.

mpoland92
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Motown Blues » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:08 pm

My opinion for MLB is the same for fantasy football: it should be commish-only on vetoes, and he should only get involved in extreme circumstances. If a dude is going to get fleeced (e.g., handing Beltran on a silver platter), let him. It's his team to ruin. Go after his other outfielder yourself and offer him jack. Bottom line, your settings are what they are and you have to live with them. Just be prepared for no trades to EVER fly, as they will always be voted down. Anyway, who knows: Bonderman could win 20 games, Longoria the ROTY, and Beltran breaks his leg in week 3. :-b Then is it a "fair" trade? Whatever. The point's been made by others.
Motown Blues
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner