12 team H2H w/ OPS, will take a look at yours... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

12 team H2H w/ OPS, will take a look at yours...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12 team H2H w/ OPS, will take a look at yours...

Postby abstractpoet » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:14 am

Here's my freshly drafted squad, in a 12 team H2H league that counts OPS and has expanded rosters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and of course leave a link so I can check yours out.

12 team yahoo h2h non-keeper league (5x5 w/ OPS).

C- Martin
1B- A. Gonzalez
2B- Weeks
3B- Wright
SS- Lugo
CI- Konerko
MI- A. Hill
OF- Vlad
OF- Markakis
OF- Hamilton
OF- Fields
OF- Votto
Util- Blalock
BN- Milledge

SP- Sabathia
SP- R. Hill
RP- KRod
RP- Street
P- McGowan
P- Maddux
P- Kuroda
P- Gregg
BN- C. James
BN- Bush

I think I have a good balance of speed and power, though I do wish I had at least one true slugger (esp. in an OPS league). Thinking about trading Wright in some kind of package for a power hitter + a second-tier closer. I know that James and Bush are kind of wild cards as far as my SP is concerned, but I'm sure good pitchers will emerge as the season starts if they don't work out.
abstractpoet
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1535
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 team H2H w/ OPS, will take a look at yours...

Postby beowulf » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:29 am

Not a bad job overall, but it does look like a middle of the pack type team right now. Your pitching does need some work... offense is pretty solid and it what is probably going to keep you from the bottom third. But you really need to improve that staff
Its "Evan" Longoria... NOT "Eva"
beowulf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 562
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 team H2H w/ OPS, will take a look at yours...

Postby abstractpoet » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:07 pm

beowulf wrote:Not a bad job overall, but it does look like a middle of the pack type team right now. Your pitching does need some work... offense is pretty solid and it what is probably going to keep you from the bottom third. But you really need to improve that staff


Really? I was actually thinking that, looking at the team at face value, I should finish in the top three in the league, no problem (obviously. assuming I can make reasonable adjustments along the way). The pitching staff definitely isn't the best in the league, but Sabathia, Hill, and McGowan are all studs. If at least two of the other four either meet or exceed expectations, isn't that a well-above-average staff?

Thanks for the feedback...any other comments would be greatly appreciated.
abstractpoet
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1535
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 team H2H w/ OPS, will take a look at yours...

Postby smay24 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:51 pm

I agree with you that your pitching staff is solid, I wouldn't make any changes for it. You have some weaknesses in your lineup. You need a proven power hitter I think that you could make a good trade if you put Mcgowan and Votto together it would make some managers exstatic to see Votto. I wouldn't trade Wright he is a proven hitter year after year, and you can pick up closer after a couple of weeks in the season once one goes down. It happens all the time so don't stress about closers.
smay24
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 42
Joined: 8 Mar 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 team H2H w/ OPS, will take a look at yours...

Postby JabbaBen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:39 am

I think your staff looks fine. Overpaying in such a deep league (whose stats are skewed towards hitting because of the OPS) would not make sense. I think you have a particularly nice bullpen given how deep the league is.

I like Lastings as a reserve outfielder too. I picked him up myself this morning.

You could use a true power guy, but you had to know drafting in the top 5 (I am guessing you took Wright at 4 or 5?) in a 12 man league that you wouldn't get one with Wright. I'd tend to keep Wright and keep your eye out for that Carlos Pena guy that has an unexpected productive season this year. Pena might even be a guy you target in a trade. I would not be giving up Wright and having RP be part of the deal. Your pen is fine, and RP will come along in the year. I think someone along the lines of Markakis could probably grab you a Pena and maybe a slight pitcher upgrade too. I think Markakis's main value over someone like Pena is in his SBs (18 last year), but you seem to have speed in other places.
JabbaBen
T-Ball Trainer


Posts: 4
Joined: 16 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 12 team H2H w/ OPS, will take a look at yours...

Postby beowulf » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:30 am

abstractpoet wrote:
beowulf wrote:Not a bad job overall, but it does look like a middle of the pack type team right now. Your pitching does need some work... offense is pretty solid and it what is probably going to keep you from the bottom third. But you really need to improve that staff


Really? I was actually thinking that, looking at the team at face value, I should finish in the top three in the league, no problem (obviously. assuming I can make reasonable adjustments along the way). The pitching staff definitely isn't the best in the league, but Sabathia, Hill, and McGowan are all studs. If at least two of the other four either meet or exceed expectations, isn't that a well-above-average staff?

Thanks for the feedback...any other comments would be greatly appreciated.


Ive never been that big on Rich Hill, as evidenced by his last ST outting. Granted it is ST but still. McGowen I do like but see him as more of a #3 rotation slot guy. Maddux is old and even in Petco I dont see him winning more than 10 games... more likely 8- 9.

CC / FRod are really the only studs you have... Bush is an ok #4 and Kuroda ... he is an unknown...

Just my 2 cents
beowulf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 562
Joined: 10 Jun 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 12 team H2H w/ OPS, will take a look at yours...

Postby abstractpoet » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:03 am

JabbaBen wrote:I think your staff looks fine. Overpaying in such a deep league (whose stats are skewed towards hitting because of the OPS) would not make sense. I think you have a particularly nice bullpen given how deep the league is.

I like Lastings as a reserve outfielder too. I picked him up myself this morning.

You could use a true power guy, but you had to know drafting in the top 5 (I am guessing you took Wright at 4 or 5?) in a 12 man league that you wouldn't get one with Wright. I'd tend to keep Wright and keep your eye out for that Carlos Pena guy that has an unexpected productive season this year. Pena might even be a guy you target in a trade. I would not be giving up Wright and having RP be part of the deal. Your pen is fine, and RP will come along in the year. I think someone along the lines of Markakis could probably grab you a Pena and maybe a slight pitcher upgrade too. I think Markakis's main value over someone like Pena is in his SBs (18 last year), but you seem to have speed in other places.


Thanks for the feedback, everyone. If you look at my roster below, you can see that I didn't shake things up too much--just made some minor upgrades through the waiver wire--got Peralta instead of Lugo at SS, dropped Pie for Hairston (both of those moves added some pop to my lineup). Also managed to pick up B.J. Ryan, Owings, and Marcum...and the sleepers I drafted (Maddux, Kuroda) have all panned out better than expected. So if it weren't for C.C. stinking it up, my staff would actually be doing as well as anyone's right now. I just need to hope that he and Hill get their act together and I'll be good to go.

I've been working on trying to trade Konerko in a package to get someone like Haren, but we'll see how that pans out. In any case, I think what I have now is good enough to be competitive.

12 team yahoo h2h non-keeper league (5x5 w/ OPS).

C- Martin
1B- A. Gonzalez
2B- Weeks
3B- Wright
SS- Peralta
CI- Konerko
MI- A. Hill
OF- Vlad
OF- Markakis
OF- Hamilton
OF- Milledge
OF- Votto
Util- Blalock
BN- Hairston

SP- Sabathia
SP- R. Hill
RP- KRod
RP- Street
P- McGowan
P- Maddux
P- Kuroda
P- Gregg
P- B.J. Ryan
BN- Marcum
BN- Owings
abstractpoet
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1535
Joined: 3 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Aug. 1
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Seattle at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Texas at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Colorado at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
LA Angels at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Francisco at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Milwaukee at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Kansas City at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Chi Cubs at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Atlanta at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact