Taking out catchers in Spring Training? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Taking out catchers in Spring Training?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Taking out catchers in Spring Training?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:31 pm

I can sift through the dirty laundry of any team you want. No team is perfect. I love how you label the Yankees a classless organization based on small, individual actions like A-Rod or Don Zimmer. And firing Billy Martin makes them a classless? And what tampering charges?

I think you're out of line.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:41 pm

apparently you didn't read my last post. The acts that make the yankees classless are as such

- Arod slapping a ball
- Andy phillips making a ridiculous stupid slide into second with the intent of cleating someone (if you dont believe this you are just naive)
- "Sending a message" on the first batter in ST
- Don zimmer charging the mound
- George suspended for connections with the mob
- Re-firing a manager 5 times
- Tampering charges

That list is clearly not dominated by two people but the organization as a whole. From the front office to the players, its all there. Hank was basically told to shut up when he was commenting on Johan Santana. Nothing was made official but he was obviously out of line. This is the quickest link I could find...

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/03/does-hank-steinbrenner-understand-the-concept-of-tampering/

I'll retract my statement as the yankees being the most classless organization in all of sports because that was probably too bold. But I dont think you can deny the fact that the yankees walk around with less class than most organizations...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:44 pm

ok this is obviously going to get heated so I would like to apologize. I dont like to attack the yankees (and if you must know I'll take them over the sox anyday ;-D ). I agree that any organization has its skid marks, but of course the yankees are made more public. That may or may not be their fault. But personally I think the yankees should be embarrassed by the acts today. There was no reason to "send a message" and absolutely no reason to slide into second base like that. There was also no reason to be hitting catchers in Spring training as well.

I think we can both agree on that bronx, no?
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:52 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:apparently you didn't read my last post. The acts that make the yankees classless are as such

- Arod slapping a ball
- Andy phillips making a ridiculous stupid slide into second with the intent of cleating someone (if you dont believe this you are just naive)
- "Sending a message" on the first batter in ST
- Don zimmer charging the mound
- George suspended for connections with the mob
- Re-firing a manager 5 times
- Tampering charges

That list is clearly not dominated by two people but the organization as a whole. From the front office to the players, its all there. Hank was basically told to shut up when he was commenting on Johan Santana. Nothing was made official but he was obviously out of line. This is the quickest link I could find...

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/12/03/does-hank-steinbrenner-understand-the-concept-of-tampering/

I'll retract my statement as the yankees being the most classless organization in all of sports because that was probably too bold. But I dont think you can deny the fact that the yankees walk around with less class than most organizations...

No, I read your post.

First of all, you didn't even get the guy's name right. It was Shelley Duncan who slid into 2nd base today. And I never defended it. But if you think that Duncan is the first guy to go into 2nd base with his spikes up, you're the one being naive. And "sending a message?" Are you joking? Tampa fans in this very thread have stated that it didn't look intentional when he hit Longoria. And even if it was intentional...how often to pitchers bean batters in retaliation? Bob Gibson made a frigging career of it.

A-Rod and Don Zimmer? Ok...two isolated, minor incidents that did nothing to affect the game are enough to consider an organization classless? What if I were to say that the Chicago Cubs are classless because Sosa used a corked bat. Or the Red Sox are classless because Manny poses every time he hits a homerun. Or the Devil Rays are classless because Delmon Young threw a bat at an umpire. Or the Twins are classless because Joe Niekro got caught using a nail file. Or the Tigers are classless because Ty Cobb was a racist pig.

Catch my drift? It's ridiculous.

In terms of tampering....there was none. If Hank had tampered, he would have been punished for it. George Steinbrenner said the same thing in 2004 about Randy Johnson. He stated that he obviously would love to have Randy Johnson on the Yankees. That's tampering? Stating that you'd love to have one of the best players in baseball on your team? I don't call that tampering, I call it logic. And MLB agrees, since they didn't punish George or Hank.

And again...how is firing your manager 5 times, 50 times, 500 times, classless? Billy Martin kept returning to the Bronx, didn't he? If he felt so disrespected, why didn't he just quit?

Every team has dirty laundry.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jake_harv88 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Read my following second post. My apologies for the mistaken name. I agree there's dirty laundry in any organization. Heck, the orioles (my fav team) are a steroid wasteland at this point. To be honest I think we should just agree to disagree. My intention was not to stir up this heated debate. That slide was just unsettling to me. My apologies to you sir, I was not trying to attack you...

The rules on tampering are pretty clear. You aren't allowed to talk about a player publicly that isn't on your team....

Again I send my deepest apologies for this attack ;-D . Maybe we can continue this privately at another time...
Last edited by jake_harv88 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Althalius » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:01 pm

"What you saw today was the definition of a dirty play," Rays manager Joe Maddon said. "There's no room for that in our game. It's contemptible, it's wrong, it's borderline criminal. And I cannot believe they did that."

"It was a dirty play," B.J. Upton said. "It was just flat out dirty, period."

"There's no room in baseball for that kind of stuff," Rays closer Troy Percival said. "Ty Cobb's been gone a long time."

Gosh guys, looks like when stuff happens to the Rays, they don't appreciate it. The fact is, there shouldn't any dangerous plays like that in Spring Training, even if Duncan/Johnson are fighting for spots on the lineup. It's a silly risk because there is a good chance of injury for both players involved.
Althalius
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:02 pm

I agree, there's no need to fight about it. I just took exception when you called them the most classless organization in sports. I don't defend Duncan's slide. It was wrong. But it's hardly the first time it's happened and it surely will not be the last. And again about tampering...MLB didn't find anything wrong with what George or Hank stated, so it's not tampering.

But yeah, everything's cool.

Besides, everyone knows the Orioles have the least amount of class. Robby Alomar spit in that umpire's face. ;-7
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jlm53089 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:48 pm

I told you Shelly would not go for Dioner :-D .

He was too afraid to go after the catcher who is bracing for it, instead he takes a 5'10 180 lbs player with not awareness or protection...

Man this year is going to be great ;-D
jlm53089
General Manager
General Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 3)

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:02 am

Art Vandelay wrote:Boo-hoo.

If a catcher doesn't want to get hit, then get off the plate.

Exactly. And Giraldis throwing at a hitter today, plus the spike at 2B are uncalled for.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:55 am

Althalius wrote:Gosh guys, looks like when stuff happens to the Rays, they don't appreciate it.

You can't compare a catcher getting ran over on a close play at the plate to sliding into second with your cleats two feet in the air. One is a perfectly clean, fair play that we see dozens of times every season. The other would start a fight whether it was in the regular season, spring training, an inter-squad scrimmage, or little league. Playing hard in Spring Training is one thing, playing dirty is another.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers