What closers is everyone targeting? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What closers is everyone targeting?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What closers is everyone targeting?

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:26 am

guffee wrote:Capps is nice but the Bucs aren't gonna give him as many chances as the Rockies will Corpas

Why?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby roninmedia » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:37 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
guffee wrote:Capps is nice but the Bucs aren't gonna give him as many chances as the Rockies will Corpas

Why?

I'm assuming he's referring to the lack of save opportunities the Pirates will have due to their bad record. However, closers have put up good save totals on bad teams so I don't necessarily buy that. I targeted Capps in my leagues.
roninmedia
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:52 am

roninmedia wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:

Why?

I'm assuming he's referring to the lack of save opportunities the Pirates will have due to their bad record. However, closers have put up good save totals on bad teams so I don't necessarily buy that. I targeted Capps in my leagues.

Yeah, I don't believe there is any correlation between a bad record and less save opps.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby ironman » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:20 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:Yeah, I don't believe there is any correlation between a bad record and less save opps.

Not to mention that a hot team may not offer any more save ops than another team if they are winning by large margins.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby willy-t » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:22 am

To give an idea of where players are being drafted. I left RP till round 11 of my 18 teamer and these are the guys I ended up with

190 - Eric Gagne
207 - Brian Wilson
226 - BJ Ryan
243 - CJ Wilson
willy-t
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:30 am

Joakim Soria is the only one I really want. I won't reach for the top guys, and I really don't care for the vast majority of the lower tiered closers, so I'm finding myself with a lot of Fuentes, Bell, Broxton, Accardo, Rauch type bullpens, it seems.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:42 am

colt4523 wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:Well for me .. I'am targeting Capps, Soria and Putz

If you want Putz you better plan on getting him early because Estrada from baseball tonight says he is going to gt 60 saves 8-o

Wait people still watch BBTN? :-b

ok no just kidding, personally for me I'm lookin at guys like corpas and soriano but this has obviously already been said...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:50 am

Re. save opps for bad teams, I found some interesting stats from '07.

Chad Cordero had 37 saves for the Nationals and the team had the 4th-most saves of all ML teams overall with 46.

The Yankees were tied with the Reds for 25th in total saves. (The Royals rank a couple of spots higher!).

Generally speaking though, every team in the Top 10 besides the Nats were teams with winning records. If a team can win 70 or more of its games there's a decent chance for save opps. Teams with between 60-69 wins all ranked toward the bottom with the exception of Kansas City.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/historical/tea ... tByStat=SV
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JakeTrain72 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:54 pm

I am targeting Corpas and Soria after round 10, would like both but probably will only get one. If I miss out on both I'll look for BJ Ryan a round or two later.

Then I wait till round 16 or 17 and target the trio of Broxton, Bell, Betancourt. These guys are solid MR and have a shot at closing some games this year which makes them pretty solid value. Once I get one or two of these guys (if SP is solid, only one, if not I try to get two) I'll look to add BJ Ryan if he falls or Sherrill.

Here's how it played out in one league that was drafted last night. 12-team H2H (with Losses as a Cat). I'd say competition is slightly above average, everyone is active with 8 people who are solid fantasy vets, 2 that are very good and 2 that are not very good.

-Corpas went in round 10, I took Soria in the 12th. *Izzy and Lidge were still avail after 10th
-picked Heath Bell in round 17. * broxton went in round 16
-snatched up sherrill in round 18.
-betancourt was still there in round 19 so i said why not.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby pat189 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:57 pm

I was a Capps owner last year and it was EXTREMELY rare for him to get a save opp... the team would always find someway to either blow the game or all of a sudden get a tons of runs in 1 inning and blow the save opportunity.

The guy is lights out, but just warning you....he would go weeks without a save opp :~(
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers