Rounds 3 and 4? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rounds 3 and 4?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rounds 3 and 4?

Postby chipper » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:58 pm

So I'm noticing that with one of the later picks (8-12), once I get to the 3rd round the pickins get a little rough. Sometimes Rios is there, and sometimes he isn't, but I find it a difficult couple of rounds since: I don't want really one of those iffy Firstbasemen (DLee, Morneau), I'm still a little sketchy on Hafner, I won't take a Catcher in RD 3, and I don't generally like to take a Pitcher that early.

Any advice on strategy for those rounds?

Thanks
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rounds 3 and 4?

Postby TheGhost76777 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:25 pm

I usually look for these guys in the 3rd round: A. Ramirez, V. Martinez, Sabathia, Crawford (if somebody lets him slip that far) Bedard, Berkman, Tex, Atkins.
TheGhost76777
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The River » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:28 pm

Berkman usually slips into the third along with Carlos Lee sometimes in most mock drafts I have done.
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Field » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:46 pm

The River wrote:Berkman usually slips into the third along with Carlos Lee sometimes in most mock drafts I have done.

It's doubtful that they fall that far if you get a later (8-12 range) pick.

I really feel that there are a lot of guys in the 30 - 50 range who are very similar in value - I don't really see much seperating these guys. There's a whole slew of outfielders, aces, and 2nd tier position players who you could argue selecting.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby duckbillgates » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:55 pm

Based on ADP, those look like good rounds to shore up your outfield. I wouldn't even be afraid to take your second outfielder there, as the position isn't as deep as everyone believes.

I think you're right to be leery of that middle-tier at 1B. There is better value to be had later. That's a truly deep position.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others."
— Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
duckbillgates
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:09 pm

I am sticking with infield with rounds 1-3. In round 4 i'll take an OF. In round 5 i'll take a SP. This is if I get a perfect set up. However if a stud falls a round I'm taking him. THere are plenty of OF who can hit .300 with 20-30 Hrs. Not many 3B or 1B who can hit .300 with 30-40 Hrs. I'd rather have an extra 1b or 3b for that utli than an OF. There will be plenty of quality OF in the later rounds. A good example of this is Hawpe, Victerino and Hamilton. 60 Hrs and 50 SBs. Thats coming from 3 positions. Thats a hell of a lot better than drafting 3 amazing OF in rounds 1,2,3 and then getting that kind of production (60 Hrs and 50 SBs) from your Infield (4-5 positions).
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Russell James » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:14 pm

If Teix is there I would take him and then try and get a solid pitcher the second time around.

I think Teix is finally where he wants to be and will be putting up monster numbers this year.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chipper » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:51 pm

Yeah my point was that with the late picks, guys like Tex, Berkman, CLee aren't gonna be there.
The one guy that is there from time to time is Rios, but not always. So without taking a Catcher 3rd pick, or a Pitcher, I guess the only option is to grab that 2nd OF then, perhaps reaching a little further down the list.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:53 pm

chipper wrote:Yeah my point was that with the late picks, guys like Tex, Berkman, CLee aren't gonna be there.
The one guy that is there from time to time is Rios, but not always. So without taking a Catcher 3rd pick, or a Pitcher, I guess the only option is to grab that 2nd OF then, perhaps reaching a little further down the list.

yeah I would grab one of the up and coming OF.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby abrage22 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:56 pm

This is kind of like with the 1 2 and 3rd pick the 4th round excspeccially gets to be not so hot anymore, and by then u only have 3 good (at the time) players.
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers