Vernon Wells - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Vernon Wells

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Vernon Wells

Postby Guttenburg » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:31 am

The way I see it, this guy is getting majorly underrated heading into this season. Sure, last year was subpar, but he was banged up and just not with it. He apparently worked like a demon in the offseason to get his stamina back up, and claims he is feeling better than ever.

I think he could have equal to better value than guys like Markakis, Pena..all guys who are going a couple of rounds earlier than him.

I even like him as a darkhorse AL MVP candidate.
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Vernon Wells

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:57 am

Not sure about MVP candidacy but yes, some day, last season will be looked at as just a down year for him. I also think Vernon will rebound to get the numbers of two seasons ago and perhaps better numbers.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 381)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:23 am

I think we've seen the best of Wells. He's still a good but MVP seems like a real stretch. I'm thinking 80 R, 25 HR, 90 RBI, 10 SB, and .275 BA for 2008.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby Ender » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:30 am

His shoulder isn't fully fixed, it is a problem that could easily come back the middle of this year so while he has upside he has just as much risk. I don't mind drafting him but I would be looking to trade him by the all star break.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 451)

Postby abrage22 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:25 pm

aww i still don't like the guy, try having a good team by drafting wells and bj ryan last year :~( .
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 7)

Postby Guttenburg » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:08 pm

Ok, ok, maybe a tad bit of hyperbole with the whole AL MVP candidate thing. But still, in my books he's def. ranked above Markakis, Pena, Eric Byrnes, Derek Lee, etc. Would anybody disagree that he should go before these guys?
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chipper » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:12 pm

Guttenburg wrote:Ok, ok, maybe a tad bit of hyperbole with the whole AL MVP candidate thing. But still, in my books he's def. ranked above Markakis, Pena, Eric Byrnes, Derek Lee, etc. Would anybody disagree that he should go before these guys?

I beleive he will bounce back, but he should not and will not go above those guys you listed. I like him to outperform the round you can get him in though.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:01 pm

Guttenburg wrote:Ok, ok, maybe a tad bit of hyperbole with the whole AL MVP candidate thing. But still, in my books he's def. ranked above Markakis, Pena, Eric Byrnes, Derek Lee, etc. Would anybody disagree that he should go before these guys?

I'd easily take Markakis and D. Lee before him. He should be somewhere around Pena and Byrnes.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)

Postby bdrotoronto » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:34 pm

abrage22 wrote:aww i still don't like the guy, try having a good team by drafting wells and bj ryan last year :~( .

Yep, there's a lot of risk in relying on the Blue Jays medical staff and spin doctors for anything.. :-o

That said, Wells is very underrated for fantasy purposes this year, he was badly injured most of last season and it's tough to imagine him having another year as bad as that one. If he can return to even 80% of what he used to be then he will way outperform his draft position in '08.
You've got a diamond, You've got nine men
You've got a hat and a bat, And that's not all..
bdrotoronto
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Russell James » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:45 pm

I still think Wells is going to high in many of my drafts. Everyone thinks that he and Bay are going to be back so their value has went up. Last night Wells and Bay both went before the 10th round in a 12 team league. A draft I participated in earlier he was taken around the 15th.

He may be a steal, but I would take Markakis and Lee before I ever took Wells. Don't forget that this guy was on the waiver wire at the end of most leagues season.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers