Robert Downey to play black character. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Robert Downey to play black character.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Robert Downey to play black character.

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm not saying that it's not OK - heck, I haven't seen the movie. For my part I was simply taking up with what Art was saying about the historical connotations of black face in American culture.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Amazinz » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:03 pm

Yeah, I'd agree that it's not different (at least from a modern perspective). I think that if you're a white person prone to sensitivity than White Chicks could be viewed as offensive. I don't think most white people cared and I would guess that most black people will not care either. I don't think anything today could have connotations similar to Blackface. There were numerous black and female exploitation films during the 70s and society survived and rose above them.

I also agree with the spirit of respecting all people wholeheartedly. However, worrying about opening doors and worrying about offending people is my problem with our current PC culture. I may be in the minority on this but I would much prefer an environment that exposes me to being offended. The alternative involves squelching creativity and policing free expression.

Knapple brings up an important point about not having seen the movie. I reserve the right to change my mind after I see the movie. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:11 pm

Honestly, I think people should be more offended by Ben Stiller portraying a hard-ass army guy.
Sometimes it takes a crazy person to see the truth. If so, I'm a freaking lunatic.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby beatdrum » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:47 pm

As one of the (few?) African American members of this community, perhaps I can give a somewhat unique perspective. My official position on this issue is...I really couldn't care less. I don't think I would have given it a second thought had I not read this thread.

By the way, has anyone seen that 80s movie, "Soul Man"? That was umm...something.
beatdrum
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:41 pm

Amazinz wrote:However, worrying about opening doors and worrying about offending people is my problem with our current PC culture. I may be in the minority on this but I would much prefer an environment that exposes me to being offended. The alternative involves squelching creativity and policing free expression.

HOORAY! ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D

I see no problem with this. It has the potential to be funny if written well.
Has anyone else seen Dave Chappelle playing a white guy in Chappelles Show? I'm white and I think it's one of the funniest things of all time.
If you can find the trading spouses skit, watch it.
If you do it well stuff like this can be very funny to people who don't have their head up their rear. ;-D
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 19)

Previous

Return to General Talk