Pujols hits his 3rd homer of Spring 3/7/08 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Pujols hits his 3rd homer of Spring 3/7/08

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pujols hits his 3rd homer of Spring 3/7/08

Postby frank69m » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:53 pm

Been watching him and with the 2nd pick in my Yahoo h2h league was trying to decide between him and Wright for my upcoming draft.

Anyone changing their minds and getting him earlier?
frank69m
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Pujols hits his 3rd homer of Spring 3/7/08

Postby mikebal9 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:44 pm

I pick 11th and was getting excited that people were backing off. If he stays healthy, he is the steal of most drafts. Anywhere lower than 2nd in a draft (if you get a ful lseason from him) is too low. Of course that is a huuuuge if.
mikebal9
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby The River » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:03 pm

Thats fine. Just to let you know those spring training homers don't carry over to the regular season. Enjoy half a season of Pujols! ;-)
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DetroitTigers » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:48 am

Pujols is one of my keepers, but I'm still worried about him lasting throught the whole season. Even if they can maintain it so he can play, the Cards will suck this year and I think he'll opt for surgery by the All-Star break. If he keeps having a good spring, i think i will trade him early in the season and try to get a decent 1B and possible a decent pitcher thrown in....
DetroitTigers
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dixie Twister » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:48 am

Whats a half a season from Phat Albert worth?

22-25 hrs 55runs - 55 ribis and .315?

Is that the basement to value him on?
"If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there is a man on base." - Dave Berry
Dixie Twister Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby wiffsaber » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:34 pm

They are saying July 31st is the cutoff date to get the surgery and still make it back after the 8 month recovery period.

So if he gets the surgery on the "last" day, then you have him for April, May, June, and July. You'd have to find a fill-in for August and September. Shouldn't be that hard especially in keeper leagues or if you haven't drafted yet, pick up a guy w/ multiple position eligibility for your future 2 month 1st basemen.

...or draft someone else.
wiffsaber
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby McStallen » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:47 am

Pujols is a great player but I think he's someone you want to avoid unless he realy falls to you- maybe early second round. Half a season of Pujols in a head-to-head league is practically worthless because you don't have him at all when you need him. Most people on these threads are pretty knowledgable and I don't think anyone needs to take a huge risk on Pujols with an early pick- just play it straight and take stud producer with less risk- there's no sense to put yourself in the hole by taking a shot on Pujols.

I think the original post was contemplating taking Pujols with the second pick- I think that is a real, real bad idea- take Hanley or Reyes or David Wright. There are plenty of good 3Bs (A-Rod, Wright, Braun, Zimmerman, M Cabrera, Figgins, Atkins, C Jones etc), so I'd probably take Hanley with the #2 pick if I had it. Wright is great, I just rank him at #3 or #4 overall
McStallen
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby tmlfan4ever » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:09 am

http://theondeckcircle.net/2008/03/11/t ... /#more-265

I like this outlook. In a shallow league, if the price is right, I'd take Pujols in Round 2 or 3. In a shallower league where you can find a replacement at 1b (maybe 10-team mixed), you can still compete if Pujols plays only 1/2 of a season. A half season of .325, 15-20HR and 55RBI might be enough to keep you competitive if you have to replace him after surgery. On the other hand, if he plays a full season and you get him in Round 2 or 3, then things are looking GREAT.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby boston_massacre » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:49 am

The debate is whether you take him in the late 1st or early 2nd round. Most people agree 2nd round. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you take a pick with his risk factor with the #2 pick overall. If you're in a 12-team snake draft, that means if he goes down, your best player was taken with the 23rd pick. That's not a risk worth taking! Shouldn't even be a thought.
such is life
boston_massacre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tmlfan4ever » Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:00 pm

boston_massacre wrote:The debate is whether you take him in the late 1st or early 2nd round. Most people agree 2nd round. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY you take a pick with his risk factor with the #2 pick overall. If you're in a 12-team snake draft, that means if he goes down, your best player was taken with the 23rd pick. That's not a risk worth taking! Shouldn't even be a thought.

Agreed. But there is big upside there if you get him with that 23rd pick. People are making this into a bigger deal than it is. You wait, if the value is good take him and hope for the best... that's all there is to it.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates