A Bunch of Guys New To the Game - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

A Bunch of Guys New To the Game

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A Bunch of Guys New To the Game

Postby goalyboy13 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:55 am

Hey all
I'm going to be a first time baseball commish this season, and I was looking for a few insights into what I can do.
I'm starting with a bunch of guys who played Fantasy Football last fall, but most of them have never played Fantasy Baseball. Since this is our first year I want to make sure it is fun.
I've chosen a H2H league because it sparks more competition through a season than just Roto.
I'm not sure on what kind of lineups to use. My plan is to have
1 starter at C,1B, 2B, SS, 3B, OF, OF, OF, UTIL
2 starting pitchers
2 relievers
3 other pitchers
and then 9 bench players, this would give a team a 25 man roster (10 teams/250 total players), but with only 16 of those 25 starting I'm worried. Do you think 25 is a good number for a league with a lot of first timers? Does it make it too deep of a league?
The other thing that we do for football is make the rule that you must draft starters before you draft bench players, I'm not sure I would want to do this for baseball, but then again I wasn't sure I liked it in football, but really thought it made for better competition. (Nobody likes the guy who drafts 4 running backs in the first 5 round, because nobody else gets anything good). What do you think?
And finally in the draft we would obviously snake, and draft 23 players. And ask players to go to the waiver wire for the final two players, whomever they may be.
goalyboy13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: A Bunch of Guys New To the Game

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:49 pm

250 players isn't that deep of a league. I would create more active spots, though: turn 3 of your bench spots into Middle Infielder (2b or SS), Corner Infielder (1B or 3B), and a 4th OF.

There's no need to make an arbitrary rule on whom you have to draft before whom. There's no equivalent to RB that someone can hoard all one of so there's no reason to limit it.

And you can do the last 2 via waivers; I would just wonder why bother. Why not just finish the draft?
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby goalyboy13 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:57 pm

I hate the corner infielder/middle infielder thing. I may add one extra UTILITY spots, one IF and an OF instead, that way you can draft more OF's or whichever you feel the position is strongest.

As for the waivers, we did it before because each round takes a long time, and then rather than drafting a player that you don't know much about you can go home and look at 230-250 a little more in depth. Because to be honest once you get past the first 200 guys you are pretty much drafting on knowing names, rather than knowing stats.
goalyboy13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Grouperman941 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:14 pm

goalyboy13 wrote: I hate the corner infielder/middle infielder thing. I may add one extra UTILITY spots, one IF and an OF instead, that way you can draft more OF's or whichever you feel the position is strongest.

Way to crap on some good advice. It's your league, though, and there is no reason IF/OF/U won't work. Limiting the slots a little adds interest and challenge.

goalyboy13 wrote:As for the waivers, we did it before because each round takes a long time, and then rather than drafting a player that you don't know much about you can go home and look at 230-250 a little more in depth. Because to be honest once you get past the first 200 guys you are pretty much drafting on knowing names, rather than knowing stats.

Maybe you do that, but it's not too hard to get solid info on up to 500 players or more, so anyone willing to look can prepare for a 250-player draft. If the guys in the league don't want to get familiar with more than 200 players, you might be in for a long year if you make the roster 25. I suppose deep is relative.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fantasy Addict » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:37 pm

My first league as commish of fantasy baseball was terrible. I recruited all of my fantasy football buddies expecting the same kind of competition. By the allstar break there were only 4 teams really following their baseball teams. It was lame. I recommend posting a message on your league's home page asking for feedback from the people who are in your league. I think more people will follow their teams if they had a say in the league rules.

If this is a free league I would recommend ponying up some money for a league trophy. If it is a money league I would recommend charging for each roster move and maybe creating an ante that would be awarded to the player with the highest score for that week.

Once your friends understand fantasy baseball I would then recommend altering the settings which will allow for more strategy to be implemented. I would wait a year for that idea though. This year since it's mostly everyone's first time, I would keep it as simple as possible.

In conclusion, I would try and set up some kind of rule that would give each player regardless of where they are at in the standings a reason to follow thier team week to week. Perhaps making the league a keeper league would help with that cause. Have fun, and be sure to get as much input from the other league members as possible. Ultimately, you want everyone to feel like they belong to the league rather than feeling they are playing for a commissioner.
Be the change you want to see in this world.
Fantasy Addict
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Return to Commissioner's Corner