List of players that will make it to superstar this season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

List of players that will make it to superstar this season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: List of players that will make it to superstar this season

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:04 pm

gatorgreenwell wrote:Is Matt Kemp going to see enough playing time to even be included in this discussion? What is Torre going to do with that outfield?

I am still not completely sold that he will definitely get full playing time. I do like him a lot but I've liked him in 06 and 07 as well. Dodgers seem committed to playing him but with Pierre, Jones and Ethier, even a small slump could send him to the bench. I think he is still a great bargain but don't overpay.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:26 pm

Yoda wrote:
Great dude. Have fun with Loewen and his 5 BB/9 which is what he's done his entire career. He has not shown enough improvement despite the number of years he's been pitching. His control is AWFUL. Until he shows some semblance of control, I don't know how you can argue that he will become a superstar this year which is the title of the thread.

I am saving this thread so we can revisit at the end of the year.

No matter how many times you say it, you still ignore the fact that as a 22 year old, Loewen made a huge leap forward in his control. He did almost as well as a 22 year old in the majors as Erik Bedard did as a 25 year old. Loewen was predicted to be a superstar back when he was first drafted. That's his pedigree. I expect him to make a big leap forward in the next two years.

Save whatever you want. As I said, trying to predict when/if a pitcher will break out is next to impossible. Even guys like Sickels do hardly better than chance. What I do know is that your analysis of Loewen's stats is flawed and your clearly knew squat about his pedigree.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:44 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Great dude. Have fun with Loewen and his 5 BB/9 which is what he's done his entire career. He has not shown enough improvement despite the number of years he's been pitching. His control is AWFUL. Until he shows some semblance of control, I don't know how you can argue that he will become a superstar this year which is the title of the thread.

I am saving this thread so we can revisit at the end of the year.

No matter how many times you say it, you still ignore the fact that as a 22 year old, Loewen made a huge leap forward in his control. He did almost as well as a 22 year old in the majors as Erik Bedard did as a 25 year old. Loewen was predicted to be a superstar back when he was first drafted. That's his pedigree. I expect him to make a big leap forward in the next two years.

Save whatever you want. As I said, trying to predict when/if a pitcher will break out is next to impossible. Even guys like Sickels do hardly better than chance. What I do know is that your analysis of Loewen's stats is flawed and your clearly knew squat about his pedigree.

Huge leap forward in his control? He went to a whopping 4.97 BB/9 in 06. Awesome.

Tell me, how was his control in 07?

You are confused. Nowhere did I say that Loewen did not have the pedigree to be a superstar. He has a lot of work to do in order to even be a candidate to take the next step. Go reread the posts.
Last edited by Yoda on Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:44 pm

Corey Hart
Jeff Franceour
Rickie Weeks
Jacoby Ellsbury
Edwin Encarnacion
Josh Hamilton

Rich Hill
Chad Billingsley
Dustin McGowan
Jeremy Bonderman
Clay Buchholz
Matt Garza

Maybe a little loose with the superstar tag, but these guys will jump in the rankings by next season.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Yoda » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:12 am

Hamilton with a bomb against a top pitcher in the clutch...

He also got another hit off a lefty last night after getting a hit off Bedard on opening day. Hopefully he can stay healthy.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Ender » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:43 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Corey Hart
Jeff Franceour
Rickie Weeks
Jacoby Ellsbury
Edwin Encarnacion
Josh Hamilton

Rich Hill
Chad Billingsley
Dustin McGowan
Jeremy Bonderman
Clay Buchholz
Matt Garza

Maybe a little loose with the superstar tag, but these guys will jump in the rankings by next season.

This is a pretty nice list. I'm a bit worried that Encarnacion will play himself into a platoon because of Baker and I'm not buying Bonderman staying healthy. I don't think Hamilton will stay healthy either but he seems to be hitting lefties better this year and he obviously has tons of power so he very well could be the pick of the litter if he does stay healthy.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby interchange » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:38 pm

sblinyy wrote:has anyone realized that fukudome is a really funny name if you split it up? fuk-u, do-me? :-X

Nice! Actually, in Japanese, "u" is always pronounced as "ooh", o is always pronounced as "oh", and "e" is always pronounced as in "hen". So the syllables are fu ku do me. There is no accent on any syllable. Japanese is a remarkably simple language. The writing is, however, not. :)
Dominate is a verb. Dominant is an adjective.
interchange
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby gentlemanjerseydave » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:03 pm

I think this is BJ Upton's year to break out into a mainstay of the Top-25.

I think this is also the year the former-Ray Delmon Young becomes a Top-50 player.

Both these guys have everything moving in their favor from talent, to playing time, to batting position.
gentlemanjerseydave
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RocketsDWM » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:54 pm

Only one mention of King Felix? With Bedard on board, the pressure is somewhat off to be the savior of the Mariners and he def. has the "stuff" to be as good as Johan one day. I think that day could happen this season.

And stop clogging up the thread with the pictures.
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

Postby DeadWinterDay » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Chris Young of the Pads. He's gunna have an amazing year.

oh and Adam Wainwright will hit 3, yes, 3, HR in just ONE game.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers