List of players that will make it to superstar this season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

List of players that will make it to superstar this season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: List of players that will make it to superstar this season

Postby Esen » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:29 pm

Not really superstar level
However it seems like Pedro Feliz can really break out and Alex Gordon can perhaos take a step towards Superstardom.
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby horatio » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:41 pm

I realize Petco Park is a major impediment, but does anyone think that Adrian Gonzalez has the ability to do any better than last year or is the consensus that 2007 was about as good as it can get?
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:43 pm

Esen wrote:Not really superstar level
However it seems like Pedro Feliz can really break out and Alex Gordon can perhaos take a step towards Superstardom.

It would be nice if Gordon wasn't going to hit seventh to start 2008. KC should at least let him bat fifth with Butler hitting third because he's a better pure hitter and Jose Guillen definitely won't be bounced from the cleanup hole.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:47 pm

horatio wrote:I realize Petco Park is a major impediment, but does anyone think that Adrian Gonzalez has the ability to do any better than last year or is the consensus that 2007 was about as good as it can get?

I think he can still improve especially if he starts turning some of those 2B into HRs (he had 46 2B in 2007 with 30 HR). Some people might recall his horrible slump in Jun/Jul. If not for the prolonged slump, he would have had a monster season.

2007 Splits

He should be entering his peak so I do like him a lot despite the tough home park.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby horatio » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:12 pm

yeah I like him too Yoda, seems he's capable of putting up Berkman type numbers and he's going about 3 rounds later.
horatio
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby ttwarrior1 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:20 pm

ryan zimmerman is 23, yet people act like he is 30. The new park is more hitter friendly and he is a good underrated player.

2. BJ upton
ttwarrior1
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Yoda wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote: I guarantee you that neither Yoda nor anyone else was predicting where Bedard would be in 2006-07 in 2004.

I just did a quick search on my posts and found this:
by Yoda on Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:49 pm wrote:Some of the 'young' guys I like for this year: Harden, Sabathia, Bonderman, Webb, Willis, Kazmir, Bedard, Lowry, Riley, Bush...

LINK

1. 2005 was a breakthrough year for Bedard, staying healthy and posting an ERA of 4.00.
2. 2005 was also a major breakout season for Harden who joined the elites.
3. Post ASB 2005 was a major breakthrough for CC, finally started to realize his full potential, posting 3.54 ERA, 1.18 WHIP.
4. Willis also broke out and had a career year in 2005.
5. Kazmir also enjoyed a major breakthrough in 2005 although he didn't truly breakout until 2006.

Bonderman didn't breakthrough until 2006 so I was a year early. Webb didn't truly breakout until 2006 but improved in 2005, cutting his BB by more than a half.

So of the 10 guys I listed that day, more than half of them had a breakthrough or a breakout season and probably all of those guys were middle to late picks. So yeah, I think I made some good calls in the past.

I am not going to further debate Loewen with you since I don't want to end up in a pissing match. I just find it hilarious that I am getting lectured by someone who thinks pedigree is not important in evaluating minor leaguers. Have a great day.

In other words, you did as well as a coin flip would do. Be careful patting yourself on the back there.

You've made some good calls. So have I. And we've both made some bad ones. I don't know why you think trying to demonstrating my reasoning is a pissing match. I think your analysis of Loewen is wrong. I've explained why that is the case. You simply cannot make comparisons between players without adjusting for their age and level of play.

I have no freaking idea what "pedigree" is. Loewen was the #4 player drafted in the entire baseball draft. He was drafted before Scott Kazmir, before Cole Hamels, before Matt Cain. He basically had the best pedigree you could ask for, not that I think pedigree means anything.

What I do know is that any decent look at the stats---rather than the misleading numbers you choose-- shows what I indicated.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby gatorgreenwell » Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:57 pm

Is Matt Kemp going to see enough playing time to even be included in this discussion? What is Torre going to do with that outfield?
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:33 pm

gatorgreenwell wrote:Is Matt Kemp going to see enough playing time to even be included in this discussion? What is Torre going to do with that outfield?

Kemp has a guaranteed starting gig in right field, Pierre is awful enough in LF and Ethier is a platoon player/fourth outfielder.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:02 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:
Yoda wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote: I guarantee you that neither Yoda nor anyone else was predicting where Bedard would be in 2006-07 in 2004.

I just did a quick search on my posts and found this:
by Yoda on Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:49 pm wrote:Some of the 'young' guys I like for this year: Harden, Sabathia, Bonderman, Webb, Willis, Kazmir, Bedard, Lowry, Riley, Bush...

LINK

1. 2005 was a breakthrough year for Bedard, staying healthy and posting an ERA of 4.00.
2. 2005 was also a major breakout season for Harden who joined the elites.
3. Post ASB 2005 was a major breakthrough for CC, finally started to realize his full potential, posting 3.54 ERA, 1.18 WHIP.
4. Willis also broke out and had a career year in 2005.
5. Kazmir also enjoyed a major breakthrough in 2005 although he didn't truly breakout until 2006.

Bonderman didn't breakthrough until 2006 so I was a year early. Webb didn't truly breakout until 2006 but improved in 2005, cutting his BB by more than a half.

So of the 10 guys I listed that day, more than half of them had a breakthrough or a breakout season and probably all of those guys were middle to late picks. So yeah, I think I made some good calls in the past.

I am not going to further debate Loewen with you since I don't want to end up in a pissing match. I just find it hilarious that I am getting lectured by someone who thinks pedigree is not important in evaluating minor leaguers. Have a great day.

In other words, you did as well as a coin flip would do. Be careful patting yourself on the back there.

You've made some good calls. So have I. And we've both made some bad ones. I don't know why you think trying to demonstrating my reasoning is a pissing match. I think your analysis of Loewen is wrong. I've explained why that is the case. You simply cannot make comparisons between players without adjusting for their age and level of play.

I have no freaking idea what "pedigree" is. Loewen was the #4 player drafted in the entire baseball draft. He was drafted before Scott Kazmir, before Cole Hamels, before Matt Cain. He basically had the best pedigree you could ask for, not that I think pedigree means anything.

What I do know is that any decent look at the stats---rather than the misleading numbers you choose-- shows what I indicated.

Great dude. Have fun with Loewen and his 5 BB/9 which is what he's done his entire career. He has not shown enough improvement despite the number of years he's been pitching. His control is AWFUL. Until he shows some semblance of control, I don't know how you can argue that he will become a superstar this year which is the title of the thread.

I am saving this thread so we can revisit at the end of the year.
Last edited by Yoda on Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers