List of players that will make it to superstar this season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

List of players that will make it to superstar this season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: List of players that will make it to superstar this season

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:36 am

bigh0rt wrote:
foulballstrike3 wrote:I think that the term, "superstar", is being used very loosely. While I think that many of the guys listed here definitely have the potential to be very good....let's not start labeling them "superstars". The original topic was someone that would take the next step, like Holliday. Holliday was a 2nd or 3rd rounder last year that was bumped to a 1st rounder this year. Hanley Ramirez was another.

So, that would be someone that was great last year but even moreso this year....maybe if you think a Granderson improves, which I do not. However, you get my point, I hope.

I'll have to look it up, but I don't recall Holliday being taken that early last season. I could be wrong, though.

He was a 3rd rounder last season.
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Steve-o » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:06 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:
foulballstrike3 wrote:I think that the term, "superstar", is being used very loosely. While I think that many of the guys listed here definitely have the potential to be very good....let's not start labeling them "superstars". The original topic was someone that would take the next step, like Holliday. Holliday was a 2nd or 3rd rounder last year that was bumped to a 1st rounder this year. Hanley Ramirez was another.

So, that would be someone that was great last year but even moreso this year....maybe if you think a Granderson improves, which I do not. However, you get my point, I hope.

Well, here are the guys who are third rounders this year (according to MDC).

Carlos Lee
Lance Berkman
Curtis Granderson
Victor Martinez
Russell Martin
Alex Rios
Magglio Ordonez
Aramis Ramirez
Brian Roberts
Justin Morneau
Brandon Webb
Manny Ramirez
Derek Jeter
Erik Bedard
Derrek Lee
Josh Beckett
Adam Dunn
Travis Hafner

After eliminating guys who are past their peak (age 28), we're left with:

Curtis Granderson - 27
Russell Martin - 25
Alex Rios - 27
Justin Morneau - 27

Martin is a catcher, so I find it unlikely he will jump up to the first round. I really don't think Morneau has the ability to hit for a high enough average (his BABIP in 2006 was way out of line with his career numbers). Granderson strikes out way too much to sustain a 300 average (about a 3:1 K:BB ratio). That leaves Rios, who does everything well, but nothing great. I guess it's possible that his power spikes and he becomes a 30 HR 20 SB guess, which would probably propel him to early round 2. If you would force me to bet on it, I would chose Rios. But I am not huge on any of those guys from the third round this year.
In my fridge: Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS), Central Waters Peruvian Morning, Bell's Batch 10,000, Dale's Pale Ale, Capital Brewery Amber, New Glarus Moon Man, and Guinness.
Steve-o
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:29 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

I'll have to look it up, but I don't recall Holliday being taken that early last season. I could be wrong, though.

Holliday was a mid-to-late 2nd round pick and had gone as late as 3rd round from in the leagues I was in. Holliday was an early 2nd round pick in 12 Angry Men and that was as early as he had gone.

As far as a player that makes it to "superstar" level goes, I wouldn't be surprised to see Corey Hart being taken as a top 25-30 pick next year. Granderson, Rios, and Markakis could take the next step into being a 2nd round quality player in '09.

I think Matt Kemp has superstar potential, but at best, he's a guy who's likely to be drafted as high as 5th round next year. If Kemp could just look less flustered by offspeed pitches, he can go a long way into breaking out. Kemp makes excellent contact and can drive the balls for extra basehits well. If you want to slap a "next Ryan Braun" label on him, I honestly believe he has the best shot of coming close to it. However, the likes of Hermida and Butler can be had for cheaper and have the kind of all-world upside Kemp possesses.

As far as pitchers go, I really like Billingsley. He could be right at the level Justin Verlander is, but he needs to hone in on his command and not have those low to mid 90's fastballs hover on top of the plate for foulballs. If he can efficiently manage his pitch count, he might be a reliable #2 type ace.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 623)

Postby dobie76 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:45 pm

FUkudome has played pretty well so far this Spring . . . .
"We've got half a pack of cigarette's, a full tank of gas, it's a hundred miles to Chicago, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses . . . Hit It."
[url]http://www.freewebs.com/giantsfan14/index.html[/url]
dobie76
College Coach
College Coach

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:21 pm

I do think Loewen will jump into the top 150 players this year, while Fukudome will be top 50. But given that I have a better understand of what you are looking for, here are a few guys currently going in rounds 3-6 that I think we will be talking about as potential round 1 picks. As steve-o said, even with that expanded definition, it's a pretty thin list to start.

Markakis
Atkins
Chris Young
Pence
Hart
Cano

To make that top 12 you really have to have 40+ HR+SB and 200+ R+RBI and an average of .280+ Each of these 6 could do that, but it's a stretch for all of them.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:44 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:I do think Loewen will jump into the top 150 players this year, while Fukudome will be top 50. But given that I have a better understand of what you are looking for, here are a few guys currently going in rounds 3-6 that I think we will be talking about as potential round 1 picks. As steve-o said, even with that expanded definition, it's a pretty thin list to start.

Markakis
Atkins
Chris Young
Pence
Hart
Cano

To make that top 12 you really have to have 40+ HR+SB and 200+ R+RBI and an average of .280+ Each of these 6 could do that, but it's a stretch for all of them.

How would you rank those players though?
I have them ranked like this
Hart
Markakis
Cano
Pence
Chris B Young
Atkins

what you think
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Whisp » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:37 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:

10th rounder in my league last year.
C-MMontero/Iannetta 1B-Hosmer 2B-Kendrick 3B-MiCabrera/Rolen SS-Rollins
CI-IDavis MI-RRoberts OF-Bruce/Crisp/Hunter/Cain/Rios
SP-Sabathia/ClLee/Wainwright/Pineda/Hellickson/JSantana
RP-Putz/Santiago/Rodney/Lidge/Clippard
Whisp
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:44 pm

Whisp wrote:
J.C.Fighter wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I'll have to look it up, but I don't recall Holliday being taken that early last season. I could be wrong, though.

4 team league? I always wanted to play in one.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby DevilDriver » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:48 pm

jake_harv88 wrote:
GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Billy Butler
Loewen

I LOVE Adam Loewen. While I doubt you actually think he'll become a superstar I do see Loewen in for a good year. ;-D

What makes you think that? Unless he suddenly fixes his control problems, he won't be good.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:51 pm

Yoda wrote:
Whisp wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:I'll have to look it up, but I don't recall Holliday being taken that early last season. I could be wrong, though.

4 team league? I always wanted to play in one.

That's what I was thinking. 10th round for Holliday? Sorry but that's just ridiculous....
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers