Pujols Injury - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pujols Injury

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Pujols Injury

Postby hot4tx » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:17 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:pujols has not once in his career had a healthy season, yet he always puts up sick, sick numbers...its gonna be insane if he ever strings together a few healthy years

To some degree almost no one has a "healthy season". Ever. I don't think you can look at his '05 or '06 season and think that he reasonably would put up decidedly greater numbers if only he were healthy, because he was relatively healthy. Last year's numbers give you a better look at what a unhealthy Pujols will put up. He did have a slow start, but I don't think you can project him to have more than 40 HRs, to steal 10+ bases, or more Runs/RBIs than Howard or Fielder. So right now if his elbow stays about where it is he'll put up similar numbers to Howard or Fielder and have substantial injury risk.

He does have the upside of miraculously healing, but even then he wouldn't put up the '05/'06 numbers hitting in such a poor lineup.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:23 pm

The worry with him is that the Cards will struggle and be out of it by June 1st. If that is the case then they might tell him to have surgery to make sure he is healthy for next season.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby tmlfan4ever » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:16 pm

Just hit his 3rd home run of spring training to go along with 2 doubles and 7 hits total.

He seems to be dealing with it pretty well out of the gate!
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Field » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:32 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:Just hit his 3rd home run of spring training to go along with 2 doubles and 7 hits total.

He seems to be dealing with it pretty well out of the gate!

That doesn't really change anything though, we all know that when he's in the lineup he'll produce some of the best numbers in the game. Fact is, he is still a huge injury risk regardless of his ST performance because he said that he wouldn't play through the pain like he did last year and the Cards should struggle enough to make surgery a viable option at some point this season. If you drafted him in any leagues, I would advise trying to trade him after a month into the season when the injury talk quiets some.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Ender » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:46 am

Ender wrote:They have also said they will give him extra rest because of it this year. So he probably won't steal, he is in a mediocre lineup, he won't get as much playing time as in the past and he is at a pretty large risk to be shut down around the all-star break (they said 8 month rehab and he'll want to be ready for 2009. Even with all of that I think he is a late 1st round pick which says a ton about his talent. I just think it is plausible that he isn't shut down and still earns less than Howard/Fielder, both of them have a good shot to beat him in HR/RBI so his AVG has to compensate. There is just more risk than reward taking Pujols with like pick 5 or 6 in my opinion.

This is one of the more popular offseason questions so pumping it up. Like suggested his PA were down compared to 2007 even without shutting him down. His lineup suppressed his stats somewhat so he didn't have amazing R/RBI. His SB did not rebound to double digits. His HR's did not rebound to 40+. He ended up with good value mostly because of an extremely high BABIP(2nd highest of his career and .023 over his career average) giving him a .357 AVG. The people who said don't draft Pujols in the 1st half of the 1st round were correct in this case even if he didn't get shut down which was a valid concern.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Kingctb27 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:06 am

While that might be true, I am still mad that I read into all of this and passed on him in basically every draft...
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers