Fear & Loathing in Cincinnati - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Fear & Loathing in Cincinnati

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Fear & Loathing in Cincinnati

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:01 pm

Per CBS

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Reds manager Dusty Baker likes the potential of OF Chris Dickerson. “I don’t think he knows exactly what he can do yet,” Baker said. “I know exactly what he’s capable of doing. In my mind he’s capable of 20 home runs and 30 stolen bases. He has the talent, in my mind, to have been here before now.”

If only it weren't for that stud Jerry Hairston Jr blocking him... :-[
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:29 pm

So Darnell McDonald is starting in LF and Janish is starting at SS.
Nice.
Arroyo has carpel tunnel and is getting pwned. He'll probably throw 130 pitches :-b
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby knapplc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:34 pm

I've missed this thread. :-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BiggGC » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:15 pm

Inukchuk wrote:Per CBS

The Cincinnati Enquirer reports that Reds manager Dusty Baker likes the potential of OF Chris Dickerson. “I don’t think he knows exactly what he can do yet,” Baker said. “I know exactly what he’s capable of doing. In my mind he’s capable of 20 home runs and 30 stolen bases. He has the talent, in my mind, to have been here before now.”

That Kicked off my year as a Reds fan................. then Dusty doesn't play him . Who would want to start a 20/30 guy? What a idiot , just shut your mouth Dusty %-6
Thanks to WhiteSoxPride
BiggGC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:54 pm

Dusty is trying everything he can to squeeze Darnell McDonald into the line-up. I'm surprised Hairston started. 8-o
Dar-Mac just pinch hit for Cueto.

McDonald is the new Norris Hopper ;-)
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:08 am

Yay! 700+ at-bats for Votto on the way!

Apr 28 1B Joey Votto, hitting .364, has played every inning of every game so far. Manager Dusty Baker has no plans to rest him. "The big boys play every game, guys like Lance Berkman and Albert Pujols, and that's why they are called the big boys," Baker said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7946/news

;-7
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby BiggGC » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:49 pm

AussieDodger wrote:Yay! 700+ at-bats for Votto on the way!

Apr 28 1B Joey Votto, hitting .364, has played every inning of every game so far. Manager Dusty Baker has no plans to rest him. "The big boys play every game, guys like Lance Berkman and Albert Pujols, and that's why they are called the big boys," Baker said.

;-7

WooT!!!!! :)
Thanks to WhiteSoxPride
BiggGC
College Coach
College Coach

Postby thejusman1 » Fri May 01, 2009 1:18 am

AussieDodger wrote:Yay! 700+ at-bats for Votto on the way!

;-7

Sounds like another injured star in the making. Votto should post impressive numbers until his eventual break-down.
http://slippingoffaledge.wordpress.com/ - A blog for political rants, fantasy sports, and thoughts from my twisted mind. Warning: Not for children.
thejusman1
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RedHopeful » Fri May 01, 2009 3:09 am

Anyone catch THIS:

If you are an avid reader of either baseball blogs or the Dayton Daily News, you've likely seen this gem of an anecdote from Hal McCoy's story about the Reds' loss to the Astros last night:

As Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker talked to the media after Tuesday's 8-3 loss to the Houston Astros, a member of the media relations department laid a copy of the stat pack on his desk - a box score, play-by-play and up-to-date statistics.

Without looking at it, Baker wadded it into the size of an official baseball and fired it hard into his trash basket.

For some reason, McCoy's designation of the wad of paper being not just the size of a baseball, but the size of "an official" baseball cracks me up. But really, this post is about Dusty Baker. More after the jump.

Now, in all likelihood, this was done in response to the Reds' ugly play of late. Ed noted this morning that the Astros have won 11 straight in Cincy and the Reds have only scored 75 runs in 20 games this year. The manager of a team playing that poorly should not need a stat sheet. When any other manager does something like this, it's a throwaway line. When Dusty Baker does it, it's a cataclysmic event.

So instead of being logical, I'm going to keep on pretending that Dusty Baker is a mad alchemist who just threw away the EXACT formula needed to recombine his crappy baseball team into a contender! Luckily, I got a glance at the sheet before it hit the trash can (Author's note: No, I didn't).

-- Begin with one part Darnell McDonald, distilled through an 11-year minor league career.

-- Slowly mix in one part Ramon Hernandez, cuz that dude's a gamer. You must use a bronze spoon for this step. Wooden spoons take too many pitches to be successful in this league.

-- Add two parts of the speed of Willy Taveras, then leave in the light of a waxing gibbous moon.

-- REMOVE ALL TRACES OF ADAM DUNN FROM YOUR ORGANIZATION. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR BASE CLOGGING IN BASEBALL ALCHEMY!!!

-- This final part is important. Take the resulting mixture and sprinkle in the sunshine extract from the sideburns of George Wright. Then, place in an air-tight titanium box, and drop it to the bottom of the Ohio River, where it must stay for exactly a fortnight.

Only when these steps are completed in full will your baseball team be competitive.

Hey, if that's the formula, maybe the Reds are closer to competition then we all think!
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby BiggGC » Fri May 01, 2009 9:51 am

RedHopeful wrote:Anyone catch THIS:

If you are an avid reader of either baseball blogs or the Dayton Daily News, you've likely seen this gem of an anecdote from Hal McCoy's story about the Reds' loss to the Astros last night:

As Cincinnati Reds manager Dusty Baker talked to the media after Tuesday's 8-3 loss to the Houston Astros, a member of the media relations department laid a copy of the stat pack on his desk - a box score, play-by-play and up-to-date statistics.

Without looking at it, Baker wadded it into the size of an official baseball and fired it hard into his trash basket.

For some reason, McCoy's designation of the wad of paper being not just the size of a baseball, but the size of "an official" baseball cracks me up. But really, this post is about Dusty Baker. More after the jump.

Now, in all likelihood, this was done in response to the Reds' ugly play of late. Ed noted this morning that the Astros have won 11 straight in Cincy and the Reds have only scored 75 runs in 20 games this year. The manager of a team playing that poorly should not need a stat sheet. When any other manager does something like this, it's a throwaway line. When Dusty Baker does it, it's a cataclysmic event.

So instead of being logical, I'm going to keep on pretending that Dusty Baker is a mad alchemist who just threw away the EXACT formula needed to recombine his crappy baseball team into a contender! Luckily, I got a glance at the sheet before it hit the trash can (Author's note: No, I didn't).

-- Begin with one part Darnell McDonald, distilled through an 11-year minor league career.

-- Slowly mix in one part Ramon Hernandez, cuz that dude's a gamer. You must use a bronze spoon for this step. Wooden spoons take too many pitches to be successful in this league.

-- Add two parts of the speed of Willy Taveras, then leave in the light of a waxing gibbous moon.

-- REMOVE ALL TRACES OF ADAM DUNN FROM YOUR ORGANIZATION. THERE IS NO ROOM FOR BASE CLOGGING IN BASEBALL ALCHEMY!!!

-- This final part is important. Take the resulting mixture and sprinkle in the sunshine extract from the sideburns of George Wright. Then, place in an air-tight titanium box, and drop it to the bottom of the Ohio River, where it must stay for exactly a fortnight.

Only when these steps are completed in full will your baseball team be competitive.

Hey, if that's the formula, maybe the Reds are closer to competition then we all think!

Thanks ! Hal McCoy is great, I always enjoy when he's on the broadcast. He cracks me up!
"Dusty Baker Doesn't Need Your Foolish Stat Sheets" lol :D
Thanks to WhiteSoxPride
BiggGC
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers