AL Only Strategies - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

AL Only Strategies

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

AL Only Strategies

Postby JoshDJays » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:38 am

I've agreed to join an AL Only league for the first time. It's a 12 team, 21 player roster, redraft 5x5 league.

What should be my strategy? In what ways should it be different from a regular mixed league strategy?

Thanks a bunch fellas
JoshDJays Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: AL Only Strategies

Postby J35J » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:55 am

You WILL have holes in your lineup....don't try to think if will be otherwise. Don't think you have to go for a position your weak in and pass up on solid players left on the board....everyone will have holes in their lineup in a 12 team ONLY league. Just don't freak out! ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Re: AL Only Strategies

Postby mak1277 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:18 am

Study hard. That's my suggestion.

The reality is that you're going to be digging really deep for players. Often times, the league is won and lost by savvy drafting and free agent moves where you pick up a young guy that blows up or someone's 4th starter that happens to break-out. My personal philosophies here are (1) build pitching depth and (2) don't be afraid to draft young potential stars, especially once your starting line-up is full. If you build pitching depth with solid mid-range guys, you're going to be able to better handle injuries or someone simply sucking.

Also, I think positional scarcity and drafting by tier is more important in an "only". You have to draw a line in the sand, sometimes, and say, "I will not get stuck with a shortstop worse than ____".
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Return to Baseball Leftovers