Guitar Help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Guitar Help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Guitar Help

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:51 am

Hey fellas - I know of few of you guys play, so I was wondering if you knew how to play this tabulature:

I understand what slides and pull off's are, but it's almost as if there are two in one here. In this one, do you slide down from 12 to 10, then hammer on back to 12? I'm lost....

Ummm.....I'm guessing slide from 12 to 10, then pull off to 8?

If so....that's hard for a rookie like me. :,-(
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Guitar Help

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:22 pm

When the number is small like the 12 in front of the 10, it's showing that the note isn't that important, for lack of a better word. The point is to slide down to 10 three times quickly. You should start at 12, but the note won't be heard for long at all so as long as your sliding down to 10, it's fine. I think you're supposed to pluck it all three times as well, rather than hammering on after each slide.

As for the second one, I think what you said is correct, though notice again the small 12.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Those are improper fractions. :-t :-b
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:10 pm

I've played guitar for 3 years, so I'm pretty savvy with tabs by now...

on the second one, (bear in mind i don't have a guitar with me,) i would play the 10 with the middle, then slide from the 12 to 10 with the ring, and pull off onto the 8 (fretted with the pointer), then finish with the ring on the final 10.

Should work.
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:09 pm

Thanks guys! ;-D

Except h0rt.....always has to be about Math with you huh. :-t
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:57 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:When the number is small like the 12 in front of the 10, it's showing that the note isn't that important, for lack of a better word. The point is to slide down to 10 three times quickly. You should start at 12, but the note won't be heard for long at all so as long as your sliding down to 10, it's fine. I think you're supposed to pluck it all three times as well, rather than hammering on after each slide.

As for the second one, I think what you said is correct, though notice again the small 12.

Back to this - what if the 12 wasn't small? I'm finding a few tabs with the numbers, and it had a slide and pull off almost in one (like above in the first pic). I'm not sure which to do....the slide or pull off?

Also, I just started trying to learn scales. Starting out with the Major Scales - amazing how many there are. I'm also amazed at how well these different notes sound together. :-) Should I be playing these with a pick or fingers? Also emphasize up and down picking with a pick?

I feel so slow now.....please tell me it will become natural if I practice enough. :-/
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:13 pm

RynMan wrote:I feel so slow now.....please tell me it will become natural if I practice enough. :-/

I think that it never 'becomes' natural although you will continuously improve if you practice. What I mean is that as you practice you will get better but you will likely also open up other possibilities that you will want to explore. Stuff that was hard gets easy but then stuff you thought was impossible will sound like some other thing and then you will try to figure it out and succeed here and there. According to my wife, I am way better than I was when we met (like 15 years ago...) but I am still like 'crap, that sucks, practice some more...' ;-D :-D
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:41 pm

AcidRock23 wrote:
RynMan wrote:I feel so slow now.....please tell me it will become natural if I practice enough. :-/

I think that it never 'becomes' natural although you will continuously improve if you practice. What I mean is that as you practice you will get better but you will likely also open up other possibilities that you will want to explore. Stuff that was hard gets easy but then stuff you thought was impossible will sound like some other thing and then you will try to figure it out and succeed here and there. According to my wife, I am way better than I was when we met (like 15 years ago...) but I am still like 'crap, that sucks, practice some more...' ;-D :-D

I've been playing for 6 months and I feel like I've come a long way. I'm at the point where chords aren't hard for me at all (I play acoustic). Any song that just consists of chords, is no problem. But picking is something I need to work on.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mugrila » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:01 am

Alternate picking is definitely the way to go.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby tuckerman85 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:52 am

No to hijack this thread... but I really want to learn to play.. I have no musical talent, but absolutely love listening to a good guitar riff. I'm big into blues, but want to start with acoustic. Any recommendations for getting started? where to find a decent starter kit etc.???
tuckerman85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to General Talk