Behind in the Count - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Article Discussions

Behind in the Count

Moderators: daullaz, Baseball Moderators

Behind in the Count

Postby WebHamster » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:00 am

This thread contains comments on Toby Mergler's Article "Behind in the Count", which was posted in the Cafe's Articles section on March 6, 2008. The full article can be read here.
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 751)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Behind in the Count

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:04 am

Looks like this will be an entertaining series. :-D

Nicely done! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:35 am

That's the most oddestest piece I've read here at the Cafe. But I like it. And if you know fantasy football then you're golden - fantasy baseball is very similar, just different in every way. But you'll get the hang of it. Baseball Leftovers is a gold mine of information, and there are tons of guys here who are very willing to help, even the n00bs.

So welcome, and keep the articles coming. ;-D
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:59 am

Like the idea, and nicely done Toby. Having an intelligent guy look at some of the conventional wisdom as he tries to learn the game can really open some things up and help everyone learn.

Also, as an O's fan, I hope you can regain your passion. We're at least 2/9ths of the way to a great starting lineup with Jones and Nick. After this year, we may have some idea on our future rotation. Weiters, Rowell, and Reimold are on the way. I'm hoping that we see the O's and Rays battling to the wire in 2011, as the Sox and Yanks fight over the cellar.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:58 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Like the idea, and nicely done Toby. Having an intelligent guy look at some of the conventional wisdom as he tries to learn the game can really open some things up and help everyone learn.

Also, as an O's fan, I hope you can regain your passion. We're at least 2/9ths of the way to a great starting lineup with Jones and Nick. After this year, we may have some idea on our future rotation. Weiters, Rowell, and Reimold are on the way. I'm hoping that we see the O's and Rays battling to the wire in 2011, as the Sox and Yanks fight over the cellar.

I agree with Gotowar. One of the biggest problem with the orioles is their fans have completely given up. That is a poor decision in my mind. For the first time in awhile the team has actually made strong moves to rebuild. I'm excited to see what they can do. While I dont want to see roberts moved I know that its necessary and inevitable.

Nice work, and come back to the Os...they need you...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:12 pm

Nice article. It should be an interesting diary on a newbie's first go at fantasy baseball. It's really nothing like fantasy football, but everyday feels like Sunday and I think you can find it as addicting a habit as fantasy football. ;-D

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby jrad32 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:33 pm

Welcome to fantasy baseball. Are you playing roto or head to head? I hope its roto, much less luck involved with roto vs. head to head.
Let's go Mets!
jrad32
College Coach
College Coach

Postby arsxfc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:25 pm

Welcome and nice introductory article. I too "left" the game for a long time. Growing up playing baseball every year and being a Tigers fan and watching Rusty Staub, Kirk Gibson, Rick Leach, Jason Thompson, Lance Parrish, Steve Kemp and Ron LeFlore, after the Tigers won the World Series in '84 I joined the military and didn't pay much attention to it (besides an occasional World Series game). Things changed when I reluctantly took over a bad franchise 2 years ago in one of my buddies H2H league. I probably didn't even know half the guys that were eligible as my keepers. That is the great thing about fantasy baseball, it gets you to know the players, not just the superstars, but the round 10-25 guys who help decide the success of most fantasy baseball teams. Last year I finished 8th out of 12 (but was actually in first place in the last 2 weeks, but Soriano's injury will forever haunt me), and look forward to better things this year. I am now the proud owner of 5 teams from three different sites and am excited by the various scoring differences in them all. As the game said to me 2 years ago and will to you this year - Welcome Back, we missed you.
arsxfc
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Article Discussions