Rate My Roster (WHIR) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Rate My Roster (WHIR)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rate My Roster (WHIR)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:07 am

10 Teams - 5x5 - Roto

I had the 6th pick in the draft. I put the round number in ( ).

C- Bengie Molina (24)
1B- Derrek Lee (6)
2B- Brandon Phillips (4)
3B- Garrett Atkins (5)
SS- Miguel Tejada (10)
OF- Matt Holliday (1)
OF- Carlos Beltran (2)
OF- Lance Berkman (3)
Utl- Corey Hart (8)
Utl- Shane Victorino (11)
Utl- Ryan Zimmerman (13)
B- Josh Hamilton (17)
B- Jeremy Hermida (19)
B- Justin Upton (21)
B- Michael Bourn (22)

SP- Scott Kazmir (7)
SP- Javier Vazquez (9)
SP- James Shields (12)
RP- Matt Capps (14)
RP- Joe Borowski (18)
P- Dustin McGowan (15)
P- Chad Billingsley (16)
P- Brandon Lyon (20)
B- George Sherrill (23)

I'm absolutely in love with my offense. Just seemed like there was great value on the board all the time, so I loaded up on it. I feel like I got a great balance of power, speed and average. My starting pitching isn't flashy, but I got a bunch of guys who I am very high on (Kazmir, McGowan, Billingsley). My closers are really where I took a hit, but I figured that saves are the easiest place to make up ground, since there are so many closers on FA throughout the year.

How would you rate this team?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Rate My Roster (WHIR)

Postby cornellunited » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:00 am

Your offense should be dominant, ans you spent most of your first picks on them. Your pitching needs some work though, just make sure you keep your eye on closers and try to pick up at least one closer nobody's heard of that always pops up. Also, I think you need to trade for a pitcher taken before round 7 in order to anchor your staff. I wouldn't expect much from Tejada, I think you made a mistake there as he has been a miss since he can't use roids anymore. Try to package him with someone else that will take Tejada on name recognition for some pitching, other than that you look solid at most positions, be on the lookout for a catcher also, but don't feel bad because half yoru league will be struggling with that position.

compare your team with mine? same scoring and team number, also had pick 6 i think, maybe 8
viewtopic.php?t=325337
cornellunited
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:41 pm

Yeah, my closers are definitely ugly after Capps. I'm fairly content with my starters because I'm expecting big years out of each one of them. I could use another one though, as my offensive UTLs and bench is deep. Maybe I'll try to work a trade there.

At SS, it was down to Tejada and Furcal for me. Tejada has fallen off a bit, but I feel that he's still good for 20 homeruns. He'll be hitting behind Pence, Lee and Berkman in Houston, so that is plenty of RBI opportunities for him. He always hits for a good average. So it really came down to power from Tejada or speed from Furcal. I knew that I wanted Victorino in the 11th, so I opted for the power and snagged Tejada.

Thanks for the input.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Jungy69 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:11 pm

Good looking team your hitting is solid all the way through good amount of speed/power and a deep bench. A place of concern is saves Capps is solid but plays on a horrible pirates team and Borowski :-o . Last I heard Pena will be the closer for the Dbacks so I'd look at dropping Lyon and Sherrill and keep your eyes open on a closer losing his job. Dealing a hitter for a closer or another solid arm to make space to get Hamilton or Hermida some playing time would heavily benefit your team imo.

When you get the chance
viewtopic.php?t=325359
Isnt my avatar just the cutest? ^-^
Jungy69
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby FantasyStud » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:55 am

Jungy69 wrote:Good looking team your hitting is solid all the way through good amount of speed/power and a deep bench. A place of concern is saves Capps is solid but plays on a horrible pirates team and Borowski :-o . Last I heard Pena will be the closer for the Dbacks so I'd look at dropping Lyon and Sherrill and keep your eyes open on a closer losing his job. Dealing a hitter for a closer or another solid arm to make space to get Hamilton or Hermida some playing time would heavily benefit your team imo.

When you get the chance
viewtopic.php?t=325359

I also like your offense a lot. I really think Tejada is going to have a down year, so maybe trading him for a closer and another SS would be something to consider. Your offense is pretty sweet though.

viewtopic.php?t=325623 Thanks!
FantasyStud
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Invictus » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:18 pm

I agree, your offense is pretty awesome, not worried about that at all. You say your worried about your closing situation, but honestly, I feel like your pitching is pretty solid overall as well. Sherrill will end up performing, maybe not quite as well as in seattle, but he'll maintain a 2.80 ERA I feel, and retain the closers spot. Lyon, IMHO, also will secure the CL spot in Arizona. Im not worried about your getting enough saves. I predict a 1st or 2nd place finish.

Thanks for the help on mine, good luck this season!
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RC17 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:51 am

Solid team all around. I like the upside guys you've got on your bench.....any of them could be stars, but you are not having to depend on them. I really don't think your closers are all that weak. Capps is really solid, and Borowski, Lyon, and Sherrill should all have closer jobs out of camp. Obviously you look for an upgrade if you can, but this is a very well drafted team.
RC17
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Nitrayn » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:22 pm

I like that team alot, your outfield is sweet...I ended up w/ a sweet OF too. I am guessing your league was like mine, where SP few off the board.

Hopefully Kazmir will stay healthy for you. I think you could have a big trading chip in Berkman or Lee if your bench guys like Upton can produce and move into the OF slot.

looks good

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=325873
Nitrayn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RenPastana » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:31 am

Your offense looks a lot like my other team. I like the speed and power balance you have there! definitely top 2 in your league as far as offense. however you pitching is a little unstable since you have so many youngsters...i dont really know what to expect from players who havent proven their worth bc like you said, you can always find pitching on the WW...i would say 8 out 10!

Good luck!
RenPastana
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:17 pm

I like this team a lot.To get this much value and still end up with a decent closer situation(Capps-solid,has job security(very important) but plays in Pittsburgh,Sherrill I like but plays with Baltimore and Joe-Blow is Joe Blow.If he's kept his job this long no reason to believe he'll lose it.Cleveland closer = 40 saves or more so you're on your way.

I have no problem with Kaz anchoring your staff but health is always a concern.I'm high on Billingsley and McGowan as well and Shields.

I actually think speed is an area that should be looked at(especially if you drop Bourne,per previous thread).I have Tejada ahead of Furcal as well but it seems like Furcal may have been a better fit for your team. Overall, great work. ;-D
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team