Rocco Baldelli - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Rocco Baldelli

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rocco Baldelli

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:57 pm

The Rays are being very careful with him. He has yet to play OF in ST. He has DH'd 2 times so it will be interesting to see what happens when he gets to play OF
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Rocco Baldelli

Postby Boyakasha » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:42 am

I like Rocco a lot when he's healthy, but that's only 0.000000031% of the time. :-C
Boyakasha
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:43 am

Maddon was quoted as saying that Rocco was supposed to play OF this week, but they just don't feel comfortable doing that right now. They are either being very very careful or there has been some problems that no one is letting on
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:44 am

Boyakasha wrote:I like Rocco a lot when he's healthy, but that's only 0.000000031% of the time. :-C

your telling me man.

I really think they need to give up on him playing the OF for this year. Have him DH and platoon people in RF
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StarsNPinstripes » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:13 pm

Just read this...
Rocco Baldelli didn't respond well after playing Tuesday, leaving a scheduled appearance as a DH one of the next two days in doubt.
"He just wasn't up to speed and I've just got to make sure with (head athletic trainer Ron Porterfield) this being the vague situation that it is," manager Joe Maddon said. "I'm just really not sure that he's going to be able to play (Friday) based on recovery after the last time out." It seems pretty ridiculous that Baldelli is apparently still so far away from 100 percent after having all winter to overcome his hamstring injuries. It doesn't figure that an extra week or two of rest is going to do him any good now. Perhaps it's already time to start thinking about writing him off for the season.
StarsNPinstripes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Stick a fork in this dude. He either has the weakest set of hamstrings in the history of professional sports or there are just aliens nesting in there or something. What's with an injury that will not heal no matter what?
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:46 pm

I have heard some really bad stuff regarding Rocco. Word is from some players and trainers is that he has a degenerative muscle disorder and his career may be over. He has not been able to run out fly balls when he gets pop ups. I hope this turns out wrong, but I have pretty reliable sources that all seem to be saying close to the same thing.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby rib217 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:58 am

If this is the case and Rocco is done, Gomes appears to be in line to get alot more AB. Everything I have read says the more he plays the better he is, what is a realistic stat line for Gomes? Does he have the potential to post a decent avg? .280 with 25 HR and 12 SB??
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)

Postby boston_massacre » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:10 am

Do people even still touch this guy in fantasy any more? What a waste of talent!!!
such is life
boston_massacre
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:06 pm

I used to rag on Baldelli for being injured all the time, but it's really a pretty sad story. Just saw this bit on Rotoworld.

Rocco Baldelli will be sidelined indefinitely due to metabolic and/or mitochondrial abnormalities that leave him feeling extremely fatigued after even brief workouts.

Baldelli was on the verge of tears several times while discussing the details of what he called a life-threatening condition. "As far as my baseball career I'm not here to stand in front of you telling you I'm retiring,'' Baldelli said. "We're still going pursue any avenue that we can to try to figure out what is going on and have a better understanding of what is going on. But at this time throughout all of the extensive testing that we've done, we don't have a concrete answer." He'll be placed on the disabled list to start the season, and his career seems in jeopardy if Doctors can't diagnose the problem.
Source: St Petersburg Times
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates