Sleepers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sleepers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Sleepers

Postby Russell James » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:01 pm

Yeah I was just being ridiculous with that .195 avg. He bats closer to .210 ;-D

The difference between Dunn (who is also chasing down Nolan Ryan) and Sexson is walks and OBP. Many leagues have an OBP. stat and Dunn is very consistent in that stat. He is around 100 walks a year. That is what makes Dunn a bit higher. It also helps that he consistently hits 40 Homers every year.

I stay away from Dunn in my leagues because I primarily play H2H leagues and I prefer to not deal with his 4 week absence in the middle of June - July.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:04 pm

Russell James wrote:Yeah I was just being ridiculous with that .195 avg. He bats closer to .210 ;-D

The difference between Dunn (who is also chasing down Nolan Ryan) and Sexson is walks and OBP. Many leagues have an OBP. stat and Dunn is very consistent in that stat. He is around 100 walks a year. That is what makes Dunn a bit higher. It also helps that he consistently hits 40 Homers every year.

I stay away from Dunn in my leagues because I primarily play H2H leagues and I prefer to not deal with his 4 week absence in the middle of June - July.

Actually, standard leagues do not count OBP.

A standard 5x5 league counts R, HR, RBI, SB and AVG. And hort just showed you that his career avg is .263, not .210.

I'm not saying he's a great pick or that he'll hit 30 homeruns, but this thread is supposed to be about people who fly under-the-radar who could have productive seasons. Sexson does fit that description.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:13 pm

Russell James wrote:Yeah I was just being ridiculous with that .195 avg. He bats closer to .210 ;-D

In H2H leagues, his poor average carries even less weight than in Roto. His .260 doesn't ding you over the course of the entire season, and after his 4 week absence in the middle of June - July, you start new on Monday, knowing that there will be a hot streak period (See: Aug - Sept. '06) where he'll bat .300+, and it may be in your playoff. Given the small sample size of AB in a given week for AVG, he hurts you even less there, yet has increased odds of helping you in the short run.

I'm liking him more and more. And as BXB51 said, most leagues do not count OBP, and in standard 5x5, a low OBP would only affect his Runs scored, which he manages to get in 75+ times into the 90s some seasons, anyway.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers