Alexei Ramirez - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Alexei Ramirez

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Alexei Ramirez

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:17 am

BillyHallDisciple wrote:Alright boys (and girls), let's start making some '08 projections for this kid! ... and maybe discuss where we're ranking him at 2B? Right around Polanco/Ellis maybe? Looks like he might get some multi-position eligibility too.

Manager Ozzie Guillen confirmed Thursday that Alexei Ramirez will be on the White Sox's Opening Day roster.

There was initially some thought that Ramirez would head to Triple-A to begin the season, but he's been very impressive offensively this spring and Guillen seems committed to finding him playing time. "The thing is: How many games can he play? We're going to sit down and see how many at-bats he can get," Guillen said. "Whether it's at second base, not second base, everything is about playing time."
Source: Chicago Tribune
http://www.rotoworld.com/

Well, I'm not sure about his average because I think it'll sit somewhere near .280 but I think he'll hit around 21HR, 100R, 12SB, 80RBI if he gets to hit in the #2 hole as I think he would fit best in. With those numbers, he'd be a Top 10 2B.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zhangman1 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:16 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
BillyHallDisciple wrote:Alright boys (and girls), let's start making some '08 projections for this kid! ... and maybe discuss where we're ranking him at 2B? Right around Polanco/Ellis maybe? Looks like he might get some multi-position eligibility too.

Manager Ozzie Guillen confirmed Thursday that Alexei Ramirez will be on the White Sox's Opening Day roster.

There was initially some thought that Ramirez would head to Triple-A to begin the season, but he's been very impressive offensively this spring and Guillen seems committed to finding him playing time. "The thing is: How many games can he play? We're going to sit down and see how many at-bats he can get," Guillen said. "Whether it's at second base, not second base, everything is about playing time."

Well, I'm not sure about his average because I think it'll sit somewhere near .280 but I think he'll hit around 21HR, 100R, 12SB, 80RBI if he gets to hit in the #2 hole as I think he would fit best in. With those numbers, he'd be a Top 10 2B.

wow....is this kid really that good? Those numbers seem kinda high for a guy that's never seen major league pitching.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:19 pm

Zhangman1 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:

wow....is this kid really that good? Those numbers seem kinda high for a guy that's never seen major league pitching.

So there's not major league pitchers in Spring Training?
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:24 pm

I suppose it partly depends how good the Cuban pitching is... He's shown the ability to hit major league pitching in Spring Training, I guess that's all we have to go on for now.

Some Japanese players have done well their first year in the majors, but I have nobody to compare hitting-wise for Cuba... none that I can think of anyways. The only Cuban players in the majors that I know of are El Duque and Contreras.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Zhangman1 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:27 pm

you think the pitchers are going 100%?
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby J.C.Fighter » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:32 pm

Zhangman1 wrote:

I-think-most-are-becaue-there's-those-that-are-doing-everything-they-can-to-get-a-spot-on-the-rotation
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Y`s Guy » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:35 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:So there's not major league pitchers in Spring Training?

The hitters are well ahead of the pitchers in ST.
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 285)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby freeling_prideful » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:37 pm

I doubt they'd put him in the No. 2 hole. It's already a stretch not having the guy play a year in the minors, it would be too much of a rush job to put him there. Not to mention, there are quite a few guys who fit that spot better...Swisher with his high OBP, for one.
freeling_prideful
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:09 pm

J.C.Fighter wrote:
Zhangman1 wrote:

I-think-most-are-becaue-there's-those-that-are-doing-everything-they-can-to-get-a-spot-on-the-rotation

Maybe, but generally not true. Pitchers want to do well, sure, but they're more focused (normally) on tweaking certain pitches and figuring out their rythym. Put another way, they're more concerned about themselves than the hitters.

I did read in one thread here that someone looked at it and there are statistical significance to hitters who have spring training OPS 100 points over their career average. Apparently, even with a small sample size it's a significant enough effect to have predictive value.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:12 pm

He has good power and can run some. The runs and rbis really depend on where he bats in the lineup. I worry about his average though. But yeah, I remember predicting Josh Hamilton's upside being somewhere along Jason Bay a few years ago with many people saying I was insane and that seems to have worked out pretty well.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers