Head to Head or Rotisserie? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Head to Head or Rotisserie?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kcuber » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:06 pm

What do you think is the best way to do Fantasy Baseball and why?

We currently do H to H but I am tiring of it a bit.

Thanks for your help!

Dan
kcuber
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Head to Head or Rotisserie?

Postby Fantasia » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:45 pm

I do both H2H and roto. All my H2H leagues redraft completely each season, and use both leagues. Our roto league is NL only, with an auction, ULTRA rules, keeping up to 15 players each year. Our roto league is the most satisfying for me because you're not left to the whims of that one owner who doesn't pay attention to his team the last month of the year, and everybody ahead of you gets to play him, and you don't. Sure that can happen in roto, but teams like that are USUALLY so low in categories that it is not a factor because they haven't been paying much attention all season. I LOVE keeper leagues. Nothing in fantasy baseball is more satisfying than finding an up and comer before everybody else, and holding him for 3 years at a great price before you have to give him a raise. The last three years, my #1 reserve picks have been Ryan Howard, Russell Martin, and Ryan Braun. Needless to say, in those three years, I've finished 1st twice, and 2nd once, and I'm looking pretty set this year as well. Keeper leagues tend to keep your focus during the off-season too. Hope this helps you
Fantasia
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby kcuber » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:13 pm

Thanks for the response.

How do you do playoffs then? Or are there none in rotisserie?

Thanks!
kcuber
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Fantasia » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:43 am

We don't do playoffs. The top 4 teams split the pot. 1st 50%, 2nd 25%, 3rd 15%, 4th 10%.
Fantasia
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby 5 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:50 pm

kcuber wrote:What do you think is the best way to do Fantasy Baseball and why?

We currently do H to H but I am tiring of it a bit.

Thanks for your help!

Dan

Actually I think points leagues are the best. It's you and your skill only. Doubles count, CG, SHO, etc.
Roto is second (even though you still have to rely on other teams for your success)
H2H is last (because of the schedule lucky factor...like fantasy football)
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Russell James » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:34 pm

I don't like Roto leagues at all. I have played in 3 roto leagues, winning 2 of them and placing 3rd in another. Usually you know who is going to win the league within the first two months. The entire thing is just boring and really doesn't take too much strategy either.

My favorite league is head to head points league, but I will settle for head to head. I participate leagues that has a weekly move limit of 3 (this prevents streamers) and everyone is active.

The reason I love H2H is because the strategy changes from week to week or day to day. I can adjust my roster to compete differently every week. Every day the scores change and the competition can be fierce if you play against guys who know what they are doing. Another great thing about H2H for me is the playoff system. Some guys get killed by injuries early in the season, but by the end of the season they have climbed into 6th place and grabbed the last seed. He usually doesn't last long, but at least he gets a shot at it.

That is the main reason I dislike roto leagues. If you have a bad month, you're done, better luck next year. It is extremely hard to catch up when guys are 100 runs ahead of you.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasia » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:23 pm

I agree, it is almost impossible to catch up when you're 100 rbis behind someone. What I do is to not fall too far behind in ANY category. With an ULTRA league, you have a big enough reserve list to plug in the gaps when those inevitable injuries occur. I have seen people give up WAY TOO EARLY. About 5 years ago I thought I was out of contention in my keeper league, and traded away all my high priced players in 3 deals. As it turned out, I finished 2nd that year, and it set me up for the next couple of years. I'm a huge fan of keeper leagues. If you try to remain competitive in every category, you'll usually have a shot the last month of the season. I you throw in the towel on a category (usually saves), I think it's almost impossible to win, because then you MUST finish first in numerous other categories.
Fantasia
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby goalyboy13 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:37 pm

IMO it depends on the people you are playing with. If you are playing with people you now than you play H2H
Both ways are fun, if you love fantasy sports, but I totally agree with the people who say you can't catch up when I guy is 100 runs ahead. I like to play both.
I'm starting a league with a bunch of guys from my softball team, we played Fantasy Football last year and it was tons of fun because you could gloat to one another. If we played roto baseball what fun is there, you don't actually beat anybody until the season is over.
Roto is the game you play when you feel like being a waiver wire watching, stat tallying goofball. H2H is the social butterfly of Fantasy Baseball.
goalyboy13
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Grouperman941 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:38 pm

Russell James wrote:Usually you know who is going to win the league within the first two months. The entire thing is just boring and really doesn't take too much strategy either.

These things don't generally happen if everyone in the league knows how to play.

I have been doing roto for a lot of years, and only one league has had a runaway wire-to-wire winner (it was Elijah in the Cafe, and we had some pretty good players, too -- he just whooped us).

The skill is in figuring out where points are to be had and them getting them, and also in squeezing as much as you can out of your roster.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby The River » Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:58 pm

I run a league with some friends for the past 4 years. After 4 years of following a H2H format, we have all decided to go Roto. I disagree with the idea that H2H is the "social butterfly" (interesting context :-? ) of fantasy baseball. I feel like H2H has a fantasy Football mentality, while Roto awards the best team and not based on who lost to someone in Stolen Bases or such by 1 or 2.
The River
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner