help with minimum innings pitched - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

help with minimum innings pitched

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

help with minimum innings pitched

Postby theplayer11 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:56 am

I'm in a 5x5 roto league. Start 9 pitchers, bench can have a max of 4 pitchers. The minimum innings pitched is 1,440..no max. I'm new to fantasy baseball and would like opinions on how many starters vs relievers I should be drafting.
theplayer11
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: help with minimum innings pitched

Postby tianyi86 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:12 am

With a league like this, I would stack up on mid relievers. With 4-6 good mid relievers, they can add 500-600 innings with over 10k/9ip, increasing your K totals, give you some wins, and drop your era and whip considerably. Of course, you should also go with how the draft is going.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Inukchuk » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:16 am

To answer your question, you'd probably hit 1400 IP with 3RP and 6-7SP.
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby MTUCache » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 am

Well, figuring that you're going to get 150-200 IP out of each starter (hopefully), and around 75 IP for each reliever, you can get an idea of what you'll need to reach that minimum.

I'd probably end up drafting six SP, three closers, and 2-3 MRs if the draft went the way I wanted it.

As the season progresses you're basically forced to start your top 4 pitchers for all of their starts, and use your 5/6 guys sparingly based on matchups. After the ASB you'll have to judge whether you need another starter (and to start using them all the time), or if you can even back off on your 4th starter's good matchups.

With only starting your best four pitchers consistantly, along with two good closers and one suspect one, and with two really good MR guys (who could turn into closers), your ERA/WHIP numbers should be looking very good when compared to those starting a five or six man rotation. Your saves should be up there, and the Ks should be looking good as well. The only number you'll be struggling with would be Wins, so I'd focus my #4/5/6 starters on guys who's ratios may not be sterling, but can rack up wins (3rd and 4th starters on playoff-bound teams).

Of course, you could go the other way, grabbing two top-tier closers and 7-8 SP, racking up the W/K/S and hoping to finish in the middle of the pack in ERA/WHIP, but that feels a lot more robotic to me. I like to be able to keep my options open through the year and massage a best-fit for all my pitching stats based on matchups and such. I hate starting a ton of guys just to pile up counting stats... it just feels dirty. :-b

My ideal staff in a league like this would look like (draft-round in a 10/12 team league)
Starters:
1.) Sabathia/Webb/Beckett (6/5)
2.) Verlander/Hamels/Kazmir/Bedard/Haren (9/8)
3.) Oswalt/Zambrano/Harang/Young (10/9)
4.) Chien-Ming Wang (15/13)
5.) Bonderman/Francis (17/15)
6.) Pettite/Blanton (21/18)

Closers:
1.) Saito/Wagner (9/8)
2.) Jenks/Hoffman (10/9)
3.) Gagne/Howry (or possibly Borowski/Todd Jones if I thought I needed more Saves) (20/16)

MR:
1.) Betancourt (24/20)
2.) Broxton/Bell (24/21)
3.) Okajima/Wood/Accardo/Shields (last pick)

This does require quite a bit of draft-pick investment in the 6-11th rounds, so you'd have to make sacrifices somewhere (probably in your #2 Starter and Closer) in order to keep a competitive hitting team, as that should take precedence over your pitching anyway. But, with the right league, you could definitely pull off a staff like this and still have plenty of studs and prospects to choose from.
MTUCache
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Leftovers