Return to General Talk

RIP Gary Gygax

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

RIP Gary Gygax

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:59 am

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/feedarticle/7357492

By EMILY FREDRIX

Associated Press Writer

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Gary Gygax, who co-created the fantasy game Dungeons & Dragons and helped start the role-playing phenomenon, died Tuesday morning at his home in Lake Geneva. He was 69.

He had been suffering from health problems for several years, including an abdominal aneurysm, said his wife, Gail Gygax.

Gygax and Dave Arneson developed Dungeons & Dragons in 1974 using medieval characters and mythical creatures. The game known for its oddly shaped dice became a hit, particularly among teenage boys, and eventually was turned into video games, books and movies.

Gygax always enjoyed hearing from the game's legion of devoted fans, many of whom would stop by the family's home in Lake Geneva, about 55 miles southwest of Milwaukee, his wife said. Despite his declining health, he hosted weekly games of Dungeons & Dragons as recently as January, she said.

``It really meant a lot to him to hear from people from over the years about how he helped them become a doctor, a lawyer, a policeman, what he gave them,'' Gail Gygax said. ``He really enjoyed that.''

Dungeons & Dragons players create fictional characters and carry out their adventures with the help of complicated rules. The quintessential geek pastime, it spawned a wealth of copycat games and later inspired a whole genre of computer games that's still growing in popularity.

Born Ernest Gary Gygax, he grew up in Chicago and moved to Lake Geneva at the age of 8. Gygax's father, a Swiss immigrant who played violin in the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, read fantasy books to his only son and hooked him on the genre, Gail Gygax said.

Gygax dropped out of high school but took anthropology classes at the University of Chicago for a while, she said. He was working as an insurance underwriter in the 1960s, when he began playing war-themed board games.

But Gygax wanted to create a game that involved more fantasy. To free up time to work on that, he left the insurance business and became a shoe repairman, she said.

Gygax also was a prolific writer and wrote dozens of fantasy books, including the Greyhawk series of adventure novels.

Gary Sandelin, 32, a Manhattan attorney, said his weekly Dungeons & Dragons game will be a bit sadder on Wednesday night because of Gygax's passing. The beauty of the game is that it's never quite the same, he said.

Funeral arrangements are pending. Besides his wife, Gygax is survived by six children.

Happy Trails Gary. I hope that you are welcomed by many deities and demigods in Valhalla or wherever you end up. I'll drink one in your honour today as I leaf through my very worn DM Guide copy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: RIP Gary Gygax

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:03 am

By all accounts he was a really cool guy, always ready to sign autographs or spend time with his fans. He was a good dude, and the father of the modern MMORPG.

:,-(
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby ironman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:51 pm

Arrangement have been made to bury him in a 12-sided casket.

RIP
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:10 pm

I still have my Gygax autographed books and photo from a convention he attended when I was young. Having his autograph seems pretty silly now but I was like 12 at the time and thought it was just cool as all get out. Thanks Gary for all the enjoyment and time wasting tools you gave us. Tipper Gore will be happy to know that you never successfully converted me to Satanism. :-b :-/
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:17 pm

Amazinz wrote: Tipper Gore will be happy to know that you never successfully converted me to Satanism. :-b :-/

:-? I thought you are an Islanders fan? I blame Gary for that.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Amazinz » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:21 pm

Oh, man. If we had a Gong here at the Cafe I'd be a banging it. Real knee-slapper, Mookie. :-D
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:04 pm

Speaking of Tipper and all the protests against D&D, I remember a youth retreat up in the Colorado mountains where the youth Pastor and the counselors developed an agenda basically where they spent a week slamming Music, D&D, Drinking and Drugs. We were on board with the Drinking and Drugs part, but not with the whole "D&D = Satanism" and that nonsense. We ultimately rebelled when they started telling us that pretty much all music on the radio was going to send us to hell. We refused to attend any more of the schedule until they stopped telling us that Billy Joel was "bad" because of the line: "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints / the sinners are much more fun..." What a load. :-b

So here we were, thirty kids on this massive deck hanging over the side of a mountain, stomping and clapping as loud as we could to "We Will Rock You" by Queen, while the adults held a closed-door meeting where they re-evaluated the whole week.

The whole thing was pretty bizarre because my church was NOT like that, and apparently it turned out that it was just a couple of couples in the youth counselor program and the pastor being over-eager to teach us the "right way" about life. They came to their senses and we ended up just doing some generic bible study for the rest of the week, but for those couple of days it was quite the rebellion.
Keep wreves in General Talk in 2011!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:20 pm

knapplc wrote:Speaking of Tipper and all the protests against D&D, I remember a youth retreat up in the Colorado mountains where the youth Pastor and the counselors developed an agenda basically where they spent a week slamming Music, D&D, Drinking and Drugs. We were on board with the Drinking and Drugs part, but not with the whole "D&D = Satanism" and that nonsense. We ultimately rebelled when they started telling us that pretty much all music on the radio was going to send us to hell. We refused to attend any more of the schedule until they stopped telling us that Billy Joel was "bad" because of the line: "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints / the sinners are much more fun..." What a load. :-b

So here we were, thirty kids on this massive deck hanging over the side of a mountain, stomping and clapping as loud as we could to "We Will Rock You" by Queen, while the adults held a closed-door meeting where they re-evaluated the whole week.

The whole thing was pretty bizarre because my church was NOT like that, and apparently it turned out that it was just a couple of couples in the youth counselor program and the pastor being over-eager to teach us the "right way" about life. They came to their senses and we ended up just doing some generic bible study for the rest of the week, but for those couple of days it was quite the rebellion.

haha...nice. My first act of civil disobedience came in 2nd grade when we had to stay in the lunchroom and watch a movie instead of getting recess because of bad weather. They tried to show us Peter and the Wolf for the millionth time, so I started banging my fork and spoon on the table chanting, "new movie, new movie." After a while about half of the lunchroom was with me. Somehow they pin-pointed me as the instigator, which made that my first trip to the principle's office as well.

Anyway...sorry for jacking this guy's RIP thread.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:45 pm

ironman wrote:Arrangement have been made to bury him in a 12-sided casket.

RIP

I'm sure Gary would have gotten a chuckle out of that one. :-B

I never actually played the game but I always thought the game books had cool pictures. I was a big Magic junkie as a kid and I'm sure D&D helped paved the way for that game and hundreds of others. RIP Gary.
2008 Cafeholics Pond Scum Champion
Future Champion of 2009 Cafeholics Masters
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:47 am

knapplc wrote: We ultimately rebelled when they started telling us that pretty much all music on the radio was going to send us to hell. We refused to attend any more of the schedule until they stopped telling us that Billy Joel was "bad" because of the line: "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints / the sinners are much more fun..." What a load. :-b

and apparently it turned out that it was just a couple of couples in the youth counselor program and the pastor being over-eager to teach us the "right way" about life.

People like that, who try and push their ultra puritanical beliefs on young people should be shot.
In the crotch - with rusty infected nails.

;-D
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Next

Return to General Talk