30/30 Prospects - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

30/30 Prospects

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 30/30 Prospects

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:36 am

Justin isn't anywhere near as fast as BJ, he's not a going to steal a ton of bases. I think 20 will be his limit.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:29 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Justin isn't anywhere near as fast as BJ, he's not a going to steal a ton of bases. I think 20 will be his limit.

I agree.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby hybrid » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:26 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:Justin isn't anywhere near as fast as BJ, he's not a going to steal a ton of bases. I think 20 will be his limit.

I agree.

8-o Are you kidding me? Justin in his Senior year in H.S. ran a 6.2 in the 60 yard dash, the fastest ever recorded in the Perfect Innings Games showcase. He may not be as good of a base stealer as BJ is at the moment, but Justin doesn't lack any speed at all. He easily can steal 30+ in his prime.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Grounded Polo » Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:29 pm

Didn't know about the 6.2 60 but BJ just always looks like such a natural on the basepaths and when I saw Justin in the outfield, he didn't seem nearly as quick as BJ to me, guess I was wrong. Either way, Arizona does prefer that Justin develop his power before trying to steal 30 bases. They want him to start running this year but it'll take time before Justin can become an effective base stealer when he didn't really run at all in the minors. I think he's more likely to hit 40 homers with a .300+ average than going 30/30, his power is ridiculous. It wouldn't surprise me if Arizona doesn't have him go any higher than 20 SB because the D'Backs don't just let their guys run wild on the basepaths, they've been in the NL's bottom five for CS in every season since Melvin arrived.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 8)

Postby hybrid » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:08 am

Grounded Polo wrote:Didn't know about the 6.2 60 but BJ just always looks like such a natural on the basepaths and when I saw Justin in the outfield, he didn't seem nearly as quick as BJ to me, guess I was wrong. Either way, Arizona does prefer that Justin develop his power before trying to steal 30 bases. They want him to start running this year but it'll take time before Justin can become an effective base stealer when he didn't really run at all in the minors. I think he's more likely to hit 40 homers with a .300+ average than going 30/30, his power is ridiculous. It wouldn't surprise me if Arizona doesn't have him go any higher than 20 SB because the D'Backs don't just let their guys run wild on the basepaths, they've been in the NL's bottom five for CS in every season since Melvin arrived.

I agree for the most part, though I don't think the D'backs will really hamper him when he hones his base running a bit more. They let Byrnes run wild and Chris Young stole a nice amount as well, in the past I can't really recall them having much speed that they could actually use.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby raiders_umpire » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:42 am

hybrid wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:

I agree.

8-o Are you kidding me? Justin in his Senior year in H.S. ran a 6.2 in the 60 yard dash, the fastest ever recorded in the Perfect Innings Games showcase. He may not be as good of a base stealer as BJ is at the moment, but Justin doesn't lack any speed at all. He easily can steal 30+ in his prime.

What Polo meant was that BJ just looks so dang fast in that Rays uniform. :-b Justin is definitely a bit faster then BJ, just not as good a base stealer at this point in time, but I imagine big brother will tell him his secrets and Justin will turn into a fine base stealer in a year or two.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby High Heater » Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:30 pm

i think upton not only has 30/30 potential but more like 40/40 in my eyes.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby thedude » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:17 pm

A lot of guys being listed are not prospects, which is what the OP asked for. The Upton Brothers (sounds like a country music group), Kemp, ect. have lost RoY eligibility.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:14 pm

Grounded Polo wrote:Didn't know about the 6.2 60 but BJ just always looks like such a natural on the basepaths and when I saw Justin in the outfield, he didn't seem nearly as quick as BJ to me, guess I was wrong. Either way, Arizona does prefer that Justin develop his power before trying to steal 30 bases. They want him to start running this year but it'll take time before Justin can become an effective base stealer when he didn't really run at all in the minors. I think he's more likely to hit 40 homers with a .300+ average than going 30/30, his power is ridiculous. It wouldn't surprise me if Arizona doesn't have him go any higher than 20 SB because the D'Backs don't just let their guys run wild on the basepaths, they've been in the NL's bottom five for CS in every season since Melvin arrived.

Justin has the "speed" i thin k like Hybrid said, but I agree that it looks like BJ has much better base running ability and speed on the base paths. Pure speed doesn't always mean you can run quickly on the base paths or steal bases -- if it did, Joey Gathright would have stolen every base out there. I think BJ looks faster in the OF too, but that is do to the angles he takes to the ball. BJ will be one of the best CF ever
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 36)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby thedude » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:41 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:BJ will be one of the best CF ever

8-o
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball