Keeping track of what I need during a draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Keeping track of what I need during a draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeping track of what I need during a draft

Postby kaiser » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:51 am

Does anyone have any advice on how best to monitor what I have, and what I still need, while a draft is actually in progress? In other words, i am hoping to find a quick and easy way to keep track of the projected stats of the players I have drafted so that I may get a better idea in mid-draft of what i should be looking for. Am I short on HR? Do I have plenty of SB? How am I doing with K's?

I could do it with paper, pencil and calculator, but I'm hoping perhaps there is an easier way.

Does any of this make sense?

Help me, Cafe-Wan Kenobis. You're my only hope...
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 306)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeping track of what I need during a draft

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:01 am

If you've got your projections in a spreadsheet, just make a new page for that spreadsheet and as you draft players, copy and paste them into that new page. Then have some equations running at the bottom of the page in order to tally up your total stats.

QUESTION:
How do I know what I need to score to win? How many home runs do I need? How many steals? What average? I think this has been gone over before but I never really understood it. I would assume that the numbers are for 12-teamers, but how would they translate to a 10-teamer?

Can anyone help me out with this?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Bloody Sox » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:31 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:If you've got your projections in a spreadsheet, just make a new page for that spreadsheet and as you draft players, copy and paste them into that new page. Then have some equations running at the bottom of the page in order to tally up your total stats.

QUESTION:
How do I know what I need to score to win? How many home runs do I need? How many steals? What average? I think this has been gone over before but I never really understood it. I would assume that the numbers are for 12-teamers, but how would they translate to a 10-teamer?

Do you have the stats for your particular league for the last 2-3 years? If so, you can average those - this will give you a MUCH better idea for your particular situation because it automatically factors in your league mate's tendencies/skills and league size/settings. If you use CBS, you can go to the standings page and export the standings for the last few years and copy them right into your spreadsheet then average them.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby hot4tx » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:59 am

For online drafts, I set up a massive spreadsheet with my overall rankings, the Y! rankings and ESPN rankings (so I can see what most of my opponents are watching), projections of players sorted by position and then tier'd, and an area to total my projected stats for my team.

They are all linked and are all based on if/then/else formulas so that when I delete the number in my overall rankings it removes them from all the rankings and projections. When I select a person I highlight them and then cut/paste values their projection into my team total area. When someone else selects, I simply delete the number and that player goes away.

This way I can easily see who's left in my rankings, Y! rankings and ESPN rankings, as well as look at who's left in my tiers by position. This works great as long as I stay away from the Miller Lite before the 7th round. If I can hold off until then, I'm fine. If not I get confused with my spreadsheet around round 15 and have to abort and draft the rest of way based strictly on my pre-rankings list. B-)
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:07 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:QUESTION:

Yes, check out Matt Buser's article on yahoo for 12 team data. I think if you look at the numbers for the top team in a 12 team league, you'd probably be pretty close to what was needed to compete in a 10 team league. Derek Carty over at Hardball Times has asked FBB fans to email him their previous results to see if he can put this together for a whole range of leagues.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby Bwanna » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:09 am

Wrt spreadsheets, one of my commishes started using Google spreadsheets this year to track our snake draft, and I was sold. Since, I've gone from using Excel to Google spreadsheets, simply because I can access them from anywhere, and I can share the entire spreadsheet or just a single sheet with the rest of the league. Here are some examples from some leagues I'm in:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... ZKbX3EJGTw
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... tP8BGMq9Yw
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key= ... 8nWdwnL-bQ

Google doesn't have nearly the functionality of Excel, but for tracking it works well.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 244)

Return to Baseball Leftovers