Keeper league - allow offseason add/drop? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Keeper league - allow offseason add/drop?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper league - allow offseason add/drop?

Postby Chip1010 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:08 am

We started a keeper league last year, so this is our first offseason. We keep six players from year to year, with no regard to where they were drafted, dollar values, etc. -- a very simple keeper league, designed just to let guys hold onto a handful of players they love.

An owner asked me today if he could pick up a free agent, and I wasn't really sure what to say. I want the guys to have the right to play the game as freely as possible, but I just don't know what's normal. What if the guy he wants is high on someone else's draft list? At the same time, there shouldn't be anyone on the wire who's one of the six best players on any team, right?

Anyway, I just want to see what other commissioners think about this. We allow offseason trades, but not add/drop. CBS doesn't seem to have an option for allowing it, but I could do it all myself as commish if people really wanted it.

Let me know, and I'll definitely help you if I can.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper league - allow offseason add/drop?

Postby Chip1010 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:29 am

Oh, and I should point out -- if it isn't clear in the first post -- that we haven't drafted yet.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:13 am

I allow it up until the point at which keepers are declared. Some guys thin out their rosters beforehand and that's their right. But if other guys want to keep players that they're not going to keep away from other teams by holding onto them, that's their right, too.

So....
* In between the end of the season and when keepers are declared: allow add/drops
* After keepers are declared but before the draft: disallow add/drops
* After the draft: allow add/drops
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chip1010 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:18 am

Matthias,

That makes sense. Thanks for the advice.
Chip1010
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:13 am

We don't allow any add/drops once the season ends.

We allow trades all year, except for thelast few weeks of the season and the couple of weeks between when keepers are declared and the draft.

I think off season add/drops diminishes the importance of the draft.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Matthias » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:32 am

Not really. The only reason to do it would be to improve your keepers and if you laid down the law of no waiver moves in the off-season, you could just have people doing their waiver moves in the last few days of the season. So it's not like you're making the draft that much more important unless you ban waiver moves entirely.

I think in our last off-season we had about 5 players who were picked up off of waivers that people used as keepers. Whatever.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Grouperman941 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:21 pm

Matthias wrote:Not really. The only reason to do it would be to improve your keepers and if you laid down the law of no waiver moves in the off-season, you could just have people doing their waiver moves in the last few days of the season. So it's not like you're making the draft that much more important unless you ban waiver moves entirely.

I think in our last off-season we had about 5 players who were picked up off of waivers that people used as keepers. Whatever.

I don't think it matters a whole lot either. Like you said, we have guys maneuvering at the end of the year instead of all winter.

In the grand scheme, there are very few players anyone would consider keeping that aren't already on rosters. Injured stars, imports, possibly a couple of minor leaguers. You do get news on guys like this after the season, so if they pile up a little, I think they add interest to the draft. We keep 0-8, btw.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby lsommerer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:10 pm

We are a no drop/adds from the end of the regular season until after our auction, but we allow trades year round. If you do decide to allow drop/adds during the off season, you should probably have a period of time before the draft/auction when they are not allowed so that owners can come in with a reasonable knowledge of who is available. Maybe the date you turn in your keepers would be a good cutoff date.
lsommerer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FBL Commish » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:14 pm

We do not allow free agent moves in the off season in my keeper league.

Might I suggest some limitation in how long a keeper can stay on a team. There is nothing more frustrating then knowing I will NEVER have a shot at drafting Albert cuz' he's retained EVERY year. We use a contract system where you must give a keeper a contract for a period of years. Once those years are over, they have to go back in the pool. This is our 3rd year of existence and TOP names are back in the pool this year. Santana, Peavy, Cabrera, Wright, Crawford, Soriano, Vlad...All these guys are back in. Also brings more value to trading for high draft picks.
FBL Commish
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner