Inherited Keeper Team Just Drafted Whole Team WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Inherited Keeper Team Just Drafted Whole Team WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Inherited Keeper Team Just Drafted Whole Team WHIR

Postby b_rad82 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:59 am

My Keepers were pretty abismal, so I tried to draft guys who I could potentially keep next year and maybe compete a bit this year as well.

League is 16 teams deep pretty standard 5x5 otherwise.

My keepers were Utley, M. Ordonez, Sabathia, Swisher, C. Young (SD), and J. Willingham (yep)

After the draft this is what I'm looking at. I put off drafting closers and I think it shows.

Where do I go from here? Post your link, WHIR.

C Kenji Johjima
1B Nick Swisher
2B Chase Utley
3B Edwin Encarnación
SS Jhonny Peralta
OF Magglio Ordóñez
OF Josh Willingham
OF Brad Hawpe
Util Jacoby Ellsbury
BN Jason Bartlett
BN Andy LaRoche
BN Jacque Jones

SP C.C. Sabathia
SP Chris Young
RP Manny Corpas
RP C.J. Wilson
P Joe Blanton
P Tom Gorzelanny
P Tom Glavine
BN Joaquín Benoit
BN Scott Baker
b_rad82
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Inherited Keeper Team Just Drafted Whole Team WHIR

Postby asquad89 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:23 pm

Keeping in mind that youre playing in a 16 team league, your team is fine. If this were my team, I might try to swap one of your 4 solid OF for an upgrade at 3B or SS. I actually really like Corpas, and you can always find a suitable #2 RP at some point during the year. And S. Baker has a chance to be more productive than Glavine. Not sure why you kept J Will, but whatever.

Help me?
viewtopic.php?t=325076
Thugs in the Outfield
ImageImageImage
asquad89
College Coach
College Coach

Postby b_rad82 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Kept JWill because it was a choice between him, Juan Pierre and Joe Blanton. I ended up with Blanton anyway in like the 18th round. I probably should have kept Pierre, but I despise Pierre on a roto team. A personal preference.
b_rad82
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Barcalounger » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Agreed with the Pierre hate in a roto. For a 16 team league I think you did fine. Your offense looks fairly balanced, and your pitching looks very solid. Keep your eyes open for some waiver wire gold like a closer or up and coming hitter to help out.

Halp - viewtopic.php?t=325100
Draft tonight! Please help! viewtopic.php?f=26&t=442770
Barcalounger
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby sublime8414 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:34 pm

I think you did a great job in your draft. Unfortunately I think your team is still falling just a little bit short.

I feel like your offense lacks a little bit of thunder. I might try and see you could swap utley and one of your OF (i'd suggest hawpe) for a power Bat at 1B and lesser 2B and move swisher to the OF. I've heard rumblings that willingham might actually play enough games to be catcher elig this year, so maybe he'll make you keeping him worthwhile. People are so cautious of maggs that i doubt you find the value you wnat for him. The reason i suggest selling utley, is that 2B seem to have a ultra fast decline, and it's conceivable that his is near. Well that's really the secondary reason. I personally think there's a ton of 2B depth therefore diminishing utley's value, and you need to take some chances to get out of being a mid-level team. I would target b-rob, kinsler, or kelly johnson depending on the OF bat you end up dealing. I might also consider weeks if you're the gambling type. I think your team is still rebuilding and just like in real life sometimes selling your superstar is the best option. Also, i think edwin enc will break out this year, and if laroche wins the job that will give you another peice to move via trade. I would probably drop jacque jones and bartlett. I don't think your team is quite good enough to compete for a roto title right now, so middling players with limited upside have no place on your roster, especialyl if they're not even the starter. Try picking up any guys that might have position battles seemingly bringing down their value: Milledge, longoria (kind of), bruce, carlos gonzalez, steven pearce, maybe brignac since you're a little weak at SS...you get the point.

Pitching looks solid. Though I think you're a little short in the K's dept. I think you made the right choice to not pay for closers. unless you catch lightning in a bottle, i would move your closers in a package to try and pick up another impact bat.

Look for 2 for 1 deals and try and consilidate your talent base into a few elite players.
sublime8414
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DbacksRback » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:45 pm

Given your circumstances i think you did a very good job, i agree with the whole pierre idea too.

help me out??
viewtopic.php?t=324855

DbacksRback
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 57)

Postby jmerr1127 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:50 pm

sublime8414 wrote:I think you did a great job in your draft. Unfortunately I think your team is still falling just a little bit short.

I feel like your offense lacks a little bit of thunder. I might try and see you could swap utley and one of your OF (i'd suggest hawpe) for a power Bat at 1B and lesser 2B and move swisher to the OF. I've heard rumblings that willingham might actually play enough games to be catcher elig this year, so maybe he'll make you keeping him worthwhile. People are so cautious of maggs that i doubt you find the value you wnat for him. The reason i suggest selling utley, is that 2B seem to have a ultra fast decline, and it's conceivable that his is near. Well that's really the secondary reason. I personally think there's a ton of 2B depth therefore diminishing utley's value, and you need to take some chances to get out of being a mid-level team. I would target b-rob, kinsler, or kelly johnson depending on the OF bat you end up dealing. I might also consider weeks if you're the gambling type. I think your team is still rebuilding and just like in real life sometimes selling your superstar is the best option. Also, i think edwin enc will break out this year, and if laroche wins the job that will give you another peice to move via trade. I would probably drop jacque jones and bartlett. I don't think your team is quite good enough to compete for a roto title right now, so middling players with limited upside have no place on your roster, especialyl if they're not even the starter. Try picking up any guys that might have position battles seemingly bringing down their value: Milledge, longoria (kind of), bruce, carlos gonzalez, steven pearce, maybe brignac since you're a little weak at SS...you get the point.

Pitching looks solid. Though I think you're a little short in the K's dept. I think you made the right choice to not pay for closers. unless you catch lightning in a bottle, i would move your closers in a package to try and pick up another impact bat.

Look for 2 for 1 deals and try and consilidate your talent base into a few elite players.

i completely agree i would trade UTLEY for a big bat along with another OF although i wouldnt include HAWPE maybe you can sell ELLSBURY higher than his value.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=325145
-J-
jmerr1127
College Coach
College Coach

Postby b_rad82 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:52 pm

bump.

WHIR fo' sho'.
b_rad82
College Coach
College Coach

Postby doubleplay122000 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:34 pm

thanks for the help on mine

while i like the idea of trading utley, i think you need to get at least a brian roberts in a deal for him, and if that happens, i dont think you pick up the other impact bat you are in the market for
i really like the idea someone said of trading ellsbury for higher than his value, esp with all the crisp trade rumors still going strong...maybe package him and willingham or swisher for a 1B, as i think you need someone better than swisher
doubleplay122000
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jzip89 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:03 pm

thanks for the help. I like your team overall, but you can definitely upgrade. I would look for a backup/replacement for Encarnacion. He can be inconsistent although at times brilliant. Also, Jhonny Peralta is pretty similar. Maybe an Orlando Cabrera or Renteria type would do the trick there. Those guys are not spectacular, but will not hurt your team and will score tons of runs and boost your AVG. just a thought...
jzip89
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team