Jay Bruce's ETA: 2009? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jay Bruce's ETA: 2009?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Jay Bruce's ETA: 2009?

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:48 am

Grounded Polo wrote:It's still funny that they signed that leadoff guy who steals bases but has trouble cracking a .700 OPS.

Excuse me Dusty doesn't know what OPS is. It is probably a stat made up by someone in their mums basement.

I think Corey Patterson will be with the Reds most of the year - especially if his batting average is reasonable. Why? Because some of the recent pick-ups are players Dusty has used/abused before and I think he might be having a big say in things at the moment.

Now put your calculator away and stop clogging the forum.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Grounded Polo » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:21 am

raiders_umpire wrote:Bruce needs a bit more seasoning in the minors, and the possible extra year of non free agency eligibility should appeal to the Reds fans as well. I imagine we see him before June though if he has any kind of year like he did last year in the minors.

He could use a more time to cut down on his strikeouts but I don't really see him as a guy who will hit .260 or something because of it. If he continues to tear up Triple A by mid May, I'd rather bring him up and let him learn in the majors, especially when Bruce would be playing alongside one of the top ten greatest talents to ever play the game in Ken Griffey Jr., a resource that can be more valuable than any additional but probably unnecessary time spent in the minors.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:39 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:I honestly think it depends on how the Reds start the season. If they start hot it doesn't matter how bad Patterson is. As long as they are winning Bruce will be in AAA.

I think it depends on how Bruce does honestly. If he is raking at AAA then they will have to make room for him. Norris Hopper, Freel, Patterson are not going to hold him back.

My personal belief is that unless he cuts down on Ks dramatically, his impact in MLB will be minimal.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:39 am

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
BJSFAN123 wrote:Patterson isn't even on the yahoo database right now %-6

I was looking to take him

I don't know if this makes you feel better or worse, but actually he is. He is in the batch of players we added last night.

Up until yesterday, he had no contract, so it's understandable that he was not at that point in the Yahoo! database.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:40 am

Grounded Polo wrote:
raiders_umpire wrote:Bruce needs a bit more seasoning in the minors, and the possible extra year of non free agency eligibility should appeal to the Reds fans as well. I imagine we see him before June though if he has any kind of year like he did last year in the minors.

He could use a more time to cut down on his strikeouts but I don't really see him as a guy who will hit .260 or something because of it. If he continues to tear up Triple A by mid May, I'd rather bring him up and let him learn in the majors, especially when Bruce would be playing alongside one of the top ten greatest talents to ever play the game in Ken Griffey Jr., a resource that can be more valuable than any additional but probably unnecessary time spent in the minors.

Bruce has nothing else to prove at all in the minors. He'll be up in June/July 2008.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:55 am

Havok1517 wrote:
Grounded Polo wrote:

Bruce has nothing else to prove at all in the minors. He'll be up in June/July 2008.

Uh you do realize he Ks a ton? Don't you want him to cut down on some of those before getting eaten alive by MLB pitchers?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JoshExley » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:18 pm

Rotoworld wrote:Bruce wasn't happy that manager Dusty Baker came out and said he had a history of leg problems. "As far as professional baseball, I missed three or four games at the end of the year with a hamstring," he said. "I played 133 games last year. In Dayton (in 2006), I missed one game."

Gotta love Dusty...

NO chance he breaks camp with the Redlegs.
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:02 pm

Yoda wrote:
Uh you do realize he Ks a ton? Don't you want him to cut down on some of those before getting eaten alive by MLB pitchers?

Uh, you do realize that a lot of great players K a lot. David Ortiz, Ryan Howard, and Adam Dunn to name a few. It is a pretty overrated sta considering how many greats have or had the same tendecy. What else does Bruce have to prove? I think he'll be primed and ready to got for a summer callup but he's already the best prospect in baseball and by a large margin in many minds. He has nothing to prove at all with or without the K-zone tendency. He is highly advanced for his age in all aspects. I personally would like them to wait till the summer to call him up because of the arb clock starting but thats about it. The Patterson siging makes that possible. I also wouldn't have traded Josh Hamilton but thats just me. BTW, Bruce is not a CF and I hope that doesn't take a toll on him if he ends up playing there this year as a pro. Stubbs is the CF of the future for Cincy and Bruce will be moved to a corner very soon in his career.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 123)

Postby gatorgreenwell » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:09 pm

I wish I could back this up with a link but I just can't remember where I read it. I believe that I saw that signing Patterson will allow the Reds to keep Bruce in AAA until June which will allow the Reds to put off Bruce's free agency by one year.
gatorgreenwell
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:10 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Uh, you do realize that a lot of great players K a lot. David Ortiz, Ryan Howard, and Adam Dunn to name a few. It is a pretty overrated sta considering how many greats have or had the same tendecy. What else does Bruce have to prove? I think he'll be primed and ready to got for a summer callup but he's already the best prospect in baseball and by a large margin in many minds. He has nothing to prove at all with or without the K-zone tendency. He is highly advanced for his age in all aspects. I personally would like them to wait till the summer to call him up because of the arb clock starting but thats about it. The Patterson siging makes that possible. I also wouldn't have traded Josh Hamilton but thats just me. BTW, Bruce is not a CF and I hope that doesn't take a toll on him if he ends up playing there this year as a pro. Stubbs is the CF of the future for Cincy and Bruce will be moved to a corner very soon in his career.

You are absolutely right Havok. Obviously 250 ABs above A ball is enough seasoning for a 21 yo who is striking out at an alarming rate! :-D

Look, no one is denying his talent. However, he isn't perfect and clearly has some work to do at AAA. If he shows improvement and starts raking then he will get called up in a heart beat.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers