Mr. Randy Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mr. Randy Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Mr. Randy Johnson

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:45 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Both Pedro and RJ are worth late round picks, I just don't have much faith in either one. Johnson still seems to have his stuff but his injuries aren't going away. Pedro has lost some of his velocity but can still be pretty good. The problem is he is a 7 inning pitcher now so even on a good team W's are harder to come by.

Pedro averages 6.787 IP per start for his entire career. The big issue is going to be seeing more and more of those 5.0 IP starts than we've seen previously. 3 of his 6 starts last year were 5.0 IP, but 2 of them were his first two starts where he was being eased back in.

With respect to Pedro, I think the best thing is seeing 9, 7, and 8 K's respectively in his last 3 starts of last season, in 18 innings, to 3 BB, and not a single HR allowed. If he can remain healthy, I think he could put up 5th Round value with upside for even more.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:03 pm

Honestly, I like Pedro's chance of staying healthy over RJ and he is definitely the better pick. Pedro will likely go earlier than I would want though. Currently I have him roughly ranked: Billingsley, Snell, Weaver, McGowan, Pedro, Maine, Bonderman, Chamberlain, Wainwright, Hughes.

I might even take Maine over him but not sure but the chances are, someone will take him before these guys. If the Mets are running away in the division, then I can see Pedro taking some time off to preserve his arm. He is probably one of the few pitchers that seems to know when to shut down.

RJ would also likely go much earlier than I would want.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Secret Avatar » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:17 pm

These are both guys to watch closely in ST. If they are throwing without pain, I would target them for the middle rounds. The skills are still there. The only risk is injury. Obviously they are big injury risks, but no more so IMO than a lot of other high risk-reward guys that will likely get drafted earlier. Grab either one with a 12 to 15 round pick, and you could get top-50 production.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers