Mr. Randy Johnson - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mr. Randy Johnson

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Mr. Randy Johnson

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:51 pm

Any thoughts on Randy Johnson being a late round flier for a standard team? I haven't seen his name tossed around too much, but for his draft position shouldn't he be considered a good sleeper?
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Mr. Randy Johnson

Postby IVIisfits138 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:08 am

Guaranteed to be on the DL at least once because of his back but I'd still take him in one of the last few rounds.
Do Work
IVIisfits138
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:22 am

Let someone else worry about him. Bad knees and back at his age = not good.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:24 am

I have a hard time deciding what to make of both RJ and Pedro. My initial feeling says to just leave them alone and not deal with the aggravation, but I guess they don't come at a hefty price, so...?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 53)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:15 am

Both Pedro and Randy are worth a look.
If you can get Pedro in the 10th/11th/12th, and Randy with your last pick, you are sweet. ;-D
If Pedro gets back in his groove quickly he will give you 3rd/4th round numbers for your 10th-12th round pick.
Randy could be anything, but it's your last pick so how much are you really expecting?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:52 am

Guess I'm with those who would grab Unit at the back end of the draft (if he's ready to go to start the season). Depending how you've already done snaring upside youngsters, that is likely a disposable roster spot. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle for a few starts.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:51 am

I grabbed him with pick 19.4 of a 12-teamer back in January in a draft I did and have no problem with taking him there, regardless of his performance.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby Yoda » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:39 am

It depends on the person and the league but... Last year my final 8 picks were:
Hart
Anthony Reyes
BJ Upton
Tankersley
Rafael Soriano
Billingsley
Lincecum
Wigginton

I may have been a bit lucky but expect for Reyes and Tankersley, the other guys were very useful. I'd rather not waste a pick on a 40+ pitcher with chronic knee/back problems.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 am

Both Pedro and RJ are worth late round picks, I just don't have much faith in either one. Johnson still seems to have his stuff but his injuries aren't going away. Pedro has lost some of his velocity but can still be pretty good. The problem is he is a 7 inning pitcher now so even on a good team W's are harder to come by.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 272)

Postby stumpak » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:35 am

He is worth a flier if healthy coming out of ST and has more "upside" than many of the supposed sleeper SPs that people like to bandy about. Even if you assume that he has only a 50% chance of making 20 starts, he should net around 8-10 Ws in those 25 starts along with a great K/9 in the 9.00 range a helpful WHIP and an ERA that won't kill you.

How many scrub or high-risk SPs at the end of the draft have a 50% chance at this sort of upside?

Another angle is that the downside is limited. Even if the Dbacks are putting him out there withhis back in bad shape, he is not going to kill you. The result will be a WHIP and ERA that is not favorable, but it will not be atrocious and the K rate will still be good enough to off-set partially. Anyone who has spent the season digging out of a WHIP/ERA hole created by a crappy April peformance of some supposed sleeper can tell you that downside is just as important of a consideration.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers