2007 Historic & Impressive Team Splits - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2007 Historic & Impressive Team Splits

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2007 Historic & Impressive Team Splits

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:04 pm

Over the last several months, I’ve raided the team splits information over at Baseball-Reference. For whatever sick and sorry reasons of my own, I decided to find team splits that interested me and download them into excel for every single team for which the site provides information.

Turns out, it’s quite a lot of info. He has splits up for every team from 1957-2007—1,270 squads in all. And in this bizarre quest, I was like a kid in a candy store, taking an absurd variety of splits out—147 in all.

11) The Angels way. In June, Anaheim set an offensive record perfectly keeping with the contact-happy philosophy promoted by manager Mike Scioscia. They posted a team-wide batting average of .319 for that month, the best June bloom since...well, probably since the 1930s.

In months at least 20 games have been played, only two squads had ever done better since 1957. The 1998 Rangers went .322 in April, and the 1980 Kansas City Bretts hit an electrifying .332 in July.

Improbably, the Angels’ mark was perfectly tied the next month, as the Yankees scored the exact same batting average of .31944444.

Whereas the Angels could only parlay their performance into the 23rd-best OBP and 70th-best runs per game in June-dom, the Yanks had the best OBP in all July (even better than the 1980 Royals), and third-best runs/game.

Hardball Times | FULL STORY
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers