Cubs / Brian Roberts Update - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Cubs / Brian Roberts Update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cubs / Brian Roberts Update

Postby saemick » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:19 pm

Per SI.com via Rotoworld:

The Cubs and Orioles have resumed trade talks involving Brian Roberts, and one person familiar with the talks told SI.com discussions were starting to get serious.
Jay Payton is a possibility to go to Chicago in one of the scenarios. Sean Marshall, Sean Gallagher, Ronny Cedeno and Matt Murton are some of the players that have been involved in the rumors from the Cubs side since they first started up three months ago.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/b ... index.html

Seems like this will happen, its just a matter of what players will be involved in the trade.
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Cubs / Brian Roberts Update

Postby rib217 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:36 pm

how much does this increase Roberts value? projection for him on the cubs? also does this hurt Markakis value? He's basically a lone man over in Baltimore now
rib217
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zhangman1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:54 pm

I think robert gets a bit of a bump. also, i see soriano moving to 2nd and should get a good bump in RBI
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:17 am

I live in Chi-town...and all of the talk radios have been speculating about the Cubs packaging minor leaguers for Roberts (Sean gallagher, Sean Marshall and others...but no Felix Pie yet) and then trading Jason Marquis (plus maybe another player) for Coco Crisp...the Sox could use another starter with Schilling down and they want to have Ellsbury get the full time play in CF while the Cubs and Marquis aren't seeing eye-to-eye (Marquis wants to start but he might not make the rotation) and the Cubs definitely need a CF (Pie isn't going to cut it if the Cubs truly have World Series aspirations)...crazy lineup IF both trades get done...

1. Roberts - 2B
2. Crisp - CF
3. D Lee - 1B
4. A-Ram - 3B
5. Soriano - LF
6. Fukudome - RF (could switch spots with Soriano in the lineup to get a lefty between A-Ram and Soriano)
7. Soto - C
8. Theriot - SS

Go CUBBIES!
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Zhangman1 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:55 am

BALCO All-Stars wrote:I live in Chi-town...and all of the talk radios have been speculating about the Cubs packaging minor leaguers for Roberts (Sean gallagher, Sean Marshall and others...but no Felix Pie yet) and then trading Jason Marquis (plus maybe another player) for Coco Crisp...the Sox could use another starter with Schilling down and they want to have Ellsbury get the full time play in CF while the Cubs and Marquis aren't seeing eye-to-eye (Marquis wants to start but he might not make the rotation) and the Cubs definitely need a CF (Pie isn't going to cut it if the Cubs truly have World Series aspirations)...crazy lineup IF both trades get done...

1. Roberts - 2B
2. Crisp - CF
3. D Lee - 1B
4. A-Ram - 3B
5. Soriano - LF
6. Fukudome - RF (could switch spots with Soriano in the lineup to get a lefty between A-Ram and Soriano)
7. Soto - C
8. Theriot - SS

Go CUBBIES!

That's intersting w/ Crisp, but no way I see Soriano batting 5 or 6. I figure he would bat 3rd. With Dlee and Aram moving to 4 and 5.
Zhangman1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby BALCO All-Stars » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:15 am

No way does Soriano bat 3rd...he's not a good enough hitter to be in the spot designated as your best hitter...all of the talk is either him leading off or him hitting 5th/6th.
BALCO All-Stars
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Eagle Baseball » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:34 am

the Cubs will trade for Roberts because basically they have to. with a new owner coming in the management is likely out and their only possible chance of sticking around is to win this year. if this trade is made I would love a chance to pick up Roberts.
Eagle Baseball
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby saemick » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:40 am

I see the Roberts trade getting done and by all indications it will be for the minor leaguers stated previously (Marshall, Gallagher, Cedeno, etc..) I think since the whole Marquis thing, he may be on the block as well.

I don't, however, think the cubs will go for Crisp. His salary is way too much for the Cubs to go for especially since they do think Pie can be their CF and they can pay him a fraction of Crisp's cost.

IMO you will see Roberts leading off for the Cubs by opening day, Pie will be in CF, and Lou will figure out where to hit Soriano.

If that is the case, I think Roberts' value will definitely rise with the lineup around him compared to in BAL
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:02 pm

I don't think it changes Roberts value all that much. He'll probably score a few more runs but drive in a few less. I have no idea if Pinella would give him the chance to steal any more bases.

Marquis for Crisp is laughable.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 325)

Postby swyck » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:52 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't think it changes Roberts value all that much. He'll probably score a few more runs but drive in a few less. I have no idea if Pinella would give him the chance to steal any more bases.

Marquis for Crisp is laughable.

Why would Roberts drive in less runs? Is the bottom of the Orioles lineup better then the bottom of the Cubs?
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates