What round do you start drafting SP's? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What round do you start drafting SP's?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What round do you start drafting SP's?

Postby RedSoxNation04 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:01 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
RedSoxNation04 wrote:Also, your comment about the CG and SO is laughable. That category is so unpredictable that to strategize for it is stupid, in my opinion. But, like you said, I'm just an unwise man in a messy league drinkin' my Kool-Aid...Cheers!

This is generally a sign that a category has no business being scored in a league.

Or its a sign that we just did something different and its worked for over 5 years now...We're doing something right if we still have 8 out of the 12 original managers, and 10 out of 12 from the last three years.
RedSoxNation04
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Russell James » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:18 pm

I play in a league that has a CG and SHO category and I enjoy it. I don't think you can plan for it, except for drafting Holladay, but it is a nice little stat. It rarely happens but when it does it gives you an advantage that week. It is similar to a grand slam in a baseball game. They are rare, but a huge boost when it happens.

To answer the original question I like to draft pitchers early, depending on the settings. Most of the leagues I play in give equal attention to pitching as they do hitting so I try to grab 3 pitchers in the first round and 3 more in the later rounds and Wang around the 12th. If the league has a larger emphasis on hitting then I will draft 2 pitchers in the first 5 rounds and 3 in rounds 6 - 10.

I like to have a solid pitching staff. I believe I mentioned this in another thread.

Something I have noticed this year, compared to last year, is that there are not as many quality pitchers available late. Lincecum, Snell, Billingsley, Holladay, Penny, Wang and Carmona are a few guys that are available late. Anyone else has an injury risk with them. In most of the leagues that I have been a part of the guys that have waited to draft pitching have ended up with less then stellar staffs. I think it would be wise to draft at least 1 or 2 pitchers in the first 7 rounds. If you haven't picked anyone up by round 10 then you are going to be hurting.
Russell James
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Matthias » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:27 pm

RedSoxNation04 wrote:Also, your comment about the CG and SO is laughable. That category is so unpredictable that to strategize for it is stupid, in my opinion. But, like you said, I'm just an unwise man in a messy league drinkin' my Kool-Aid...Cheers!

All I said is that it's the better pitchers who are more likely to score a CG or a SO... icing on the cake for what look like (at a glance) a league that punishes bad starting pitching and has its hitting categories so screwy that it doesn't properly reward quality.

And if you ran your own numbers and they told you to draft the guys you did, great. But if you drafted in your 11x11 based off of advice from people playing 5x5, you made a mistake.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers