What round do you start drafting SP's? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What round do you start drafting SP's?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What round do you start drafting SP's?

Postby tianyi86 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:04 pm

If you can grab one of the top tier pitchers in round 4 or 5, do it. But personally, I didn't draft a single pitcher until round 7 last season and won 4 of my 5 redraft leagues. As for closers, I would actually draft one before round 10 because the late round closers are way too volatile.
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby chipper » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:14 pm

Philly_05 wrote:I enjoy playing against the people who don't draft pitchers till the 6-7-8th rounds it's not the way to win.

Well it's not the way to lose either.

Both taking a pitcher early and waiting until rounds 6-8 can be equally effective. Also depends on your settings. There are some formats where you'd be crazy to take a pitcher in the first 6 rounds, and others where it's a good idea. Totally depends. But to say as a rule people who don't draft a pitchers until the 6-7-8th rounds are doing it wrong, is incorrect.
chipper
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:16 pm

I never plan to draft a pitcher by a certain round...I just see how the draft goes and plan my picks accordingly.

That said, I tend to take my first SP in the 6th or 7th round. Then I might take another in the 9th or 10th. I usually don't touch RPs in the first 10 rounds.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:21 pm

chipper wrote:
Philly_05 wrote:I enjoy playing against the people who don't draft pitchers till the 6-7-8th rounds it's not the way to win.

Well it's not the way to lose either.

Both taking a pitcher early and waiting until rounds 6-8 can be equally effective. Also depends on your settings. There are some formats where you'd be crazy to take a pitcher in the first 6 rounds, and others where it's a good idea. Totally depends. But to say as a rule people who don't draft a pitchers until the 6-7-8th rounds are doing it wrong, is incorrect.

Agreed. This is why fantasy baseball is so much fun. You can employ many different strategies and still win. I tend to grab pitchers as they fall rather going after a specific pitcher. I find that generally paying less for an arm works out better in the end.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Grounded Polo » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:08 pm

I'm currently employing a draft one solid ace and then fill out the rest of my staff with cheap options that have more upside over reliability in a H2H Cafe league. The ace I drafted was Cole Hamels so that could certainly backfire horribly. :-o

I usually go with the standard approach to roto by usually getting 2 starters in the first ten rounds.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby fortune cookies » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:17 pm

I like to draft starters when I do not like any of the bats available. Round 5-6 are like this in my opinion this year. When my best bat options are Pena, Young, Mauer, Kinsler, Sheffield, Chipper, etc, I like to take a ace like Lackey. I'm not saying these bats are bad, but I just think the team will benefit more from the ace at that point than taking, for instance, Peavy over Sizemore in the second.

Thanks to Idahofan1 for the great sig
fortune cookies
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:22 pm

I draft for value, seems I usually grab a pitcher come round 6 or 7 this season.

You can not draft a single pitcher in the first 9 rounds and still do fine in pitching so there is no need for taking one, but there isn't a good reason to pass them up if you find a good deal either. Roughly 40% of the pitchers taken in the first 6 rounds will be relative busts anyway so it isn't like you are falling way behind. A couple will have majors injuries, a couple will have minor injuries, a couple will have unlucky Ws or ERA etc. Happens every single year.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:54 pm

It's been said quite a few times in this thread:

Value Based Drafting.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby AKhomebrewer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:13 am

Ayuh, the value thing.

I tend to go into drafts with a tiered ranking sheet by position, along with an overall 10-12 rounds deep, and grab pitchers where they look like the best deal.
League setup/categories are key, too. In my 12-team 5x5 roto it's likely to be somewhat different than in my 16-team H2H.
• Aaron Hill: Avoids DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
• Aaron Hill: Headed for DL Jul 12 (RotoWire)
AKhomebrewer
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:49 am

There isn't a single round I wouldn't take a SP in this year, provided the right pitcher is there.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers