100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ales Rios vs. Johh Hamilton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ales Rios vs. Johh Hamilton

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:14 am

DaShiz23 wrote:
AcidRock23 wrote:
XHendrix wrote:His body will never recover from his 4 year crack binge. I couldn't imagine him being able to play a full season.

I don't think that crack is all that bad for you, if you can stop. It's not going to affect his soft connective tissues like 'roids so I think that's a non factor. I think that it's more conditioning type of issues after not playing. This could still be a factor but, all the press on him (interview in SI today...) suggest that he's cleaned up his shady act and ready to work. I am certainly hoping that he worked hard enough to play all year. I also think that playing in the AL and doing some DH time will help his durability.

I'm sorry, I laughed SO hard when I read the first part of this, I spit beer all over my laptop! :-D :-D

But to be serious, Hamilton looks to be the real deal, and where I was able to grab him in all my leagues, I'm extremely happy. I only moved him in one of my leagues, and that was for Pujols. I won't say first round by any means, but Manny numbers with a little lower average look to be where this guy will be at.

I won't go comparing him to a guy like Rios, because their values are different, based upon their stats. Many guys overvalue a 20/20 guy, which can lead to much trouble and skewed rankings. So I also won't say a guy like Rios, Hart, etc. are overrated, slump or inconsistencies or suckedness, because they did not fall in my rankings where the general consensus had them ranked. (o.k., I may laugh quietly when I hear that garbage though).

Really, I don't think that smoking crack for four years is bad for you, maybe elevated BP and some cardiac arrhythmia neither of which would be affecting his value as a player, IF you can get over it. All the stuff I've read about Hamilton both last year when he came out of nowhere and this hear makes me think that he has, in fact, gotten over it and gotten his uh, stuff together in which case I am comfortable saying that he may even have a chance of recovering most, if not all, of his former skills, in the Ron Shandler sense of the word. Those are the skills that are manifesting themselves in his performance so far I think.

For any kids thinking of trying this at home, most people will not recover from it and it will in fact ruin your life and turn you into a crack whore like Halle Berry in Jungle Fever...
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:17 am

smokin' crack... :-D
Last edited by AcidRock23 on Mon May 19, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon May 19, 2008 8:22 am

smokin' more crack :-D
Last edited by AcidRock23 on Mon May 19, 2008 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Slayer Rules » Mon May 19, 2008 11:31 am

Rios is definitely playing like an "Ales" these days....
Slayer Rules
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby hot4tx » Mon May 19, 2008 11:50 am

I'll still stand by my thoughts that saying before this season that Josh Hamilton is as valuable as a guy that is a consensus 3rd-4th round pick was silly. The potential was there and he's made good on that so far, but buy almost solely on potential for even 5th round value is a huge reach and very risky. Again for every top-end potential breakout guy there's 10-20 of those that stink it up or are just ok and never worth the price you paid for them if you're taking them that high.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 208)

Postby Field » Mon May 19, 2008 12:08 pm

hot4tx wrote:I'll still stand by my thoughts that saying before this season that Josh Hamilton is as valuable as a guy that is a consensus 3rd-4th round pick was silly. The potential was there and he's made good on that so far, but buy almost solely on potential for even 5th round value is a huge reach and very risky. Again for every top-end potential breakout guy there's 10-20 of those that stink it up or are just ok and never worth the price you paid for them if you're taking them that high.

Who was taking him in the 5th round? He was going in the 9-12 range, which wasn't much of a gamble at all.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby hot4tx » Mon May 19, 2008 12:30 pm

Who was taking him in the 5th round? He was going in the 9-12 range, which wasn't much of a gamble at all.

The original point of this thread was Hamilton vs Rios. Saying that Hamilton was as valuable as Rios means that the original supporters thought he had 3rd-4th (or at least 5th to be conservative) round value in the pre-season. At least that was my understanding of it. So I still say that calling Hamilton as valuable as Rios or saying that you think (not hope) he will put up similar numbers to Rios before the season was a little out there. Even if it does end up being correct.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 208)

Postby Yoda » Mon May 19, 2008 1:39 pm

hot4tx wrote:

The original point of this thread was Hamilton vs Rios. Saying that Hamilton was as valuable as Rios means that the original supporters thought he had 3rd-4th (or at least 5th to be conservative) round value in the pre-season. At least that was my understanding of it. So I still say that calling Hamilton as valuable as Rios or saying that you think (not hope) he will put up similar numbers to Rios before the season was a little out there. Even if it does end up being correct.

I thought Hamilton was more valuable because he would put up similar numbers but you could have him after 100 players were off the board.

In any case, the OP could keep Hamilton for 2 or Rios for 1 in a HR heavy scoring system so these are more variables that need to be carefully considered.

I actually drafted him in the 2nd round in my keeper league (6) because I was pretty confident that he would at least produce like a top 100 player with a potential to be a lot better. He won't keep up his RBI pace but still should easily be a top 50 player.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Matthias » Mon May 19, 2008 2:51 pm

hot4tx wrote:I'll still stand by my thoughts that saying before this season that Josh Hamilton is as valuable as a guy that is a consensus 3rd-4th round pick was silly. The potential was there and he's made good on that so far, but buy almost solely on potential for even 5th round value is a huge reach and very risky. Again for every top-end potential breakout guy there's 10-20 of those that stink it up or are just ok and never worth the price you paid for them if you're taking them that high.

hot4tx wrote:The original point of this thread was Hamilton vs Rios. Saying that Hamilton was as valuable as Rios means that the original supporters thought he had 3rd-4th (or at least 5th to be conservative) round value in the pre-season. At least that was my understanding of it. So I still say that calling Hamilton as valuable as Rios or saying that you think (not hope) he will put up similar numbers to Rios before the season was a little out there. Even if it does end up being correct.

There's a couple of problems with this thinking... first, thinking that Hamilton is a break-out player. Really, he broke out last season (or broke in and then broke out?). Anyways, .292 with 19HRs in 298ABs is pretty good. Second, there's a difference between saying someone is going to produce like a player out of Round X and drafting them there. Even the guys who were high on Hamilton pre-season didn't draft him in the 3rd or 4th round, not because they didn't believe in the production, but because they didn't have to. Third, I don't know if there's really as big of a difference between thinking someone will put up certain numbers and hoping that they do. One is a bit stronger form of belief, but I would say that there were a number of people who reasonably expected Hamilton to have .300/30/100 kind of numbers. Is that foolish? In the middle of the Texas lineup that always scores runs and for someone who has always had the talent, it's only been himself holding him down? I don't think so. It's certainly not "silly".
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TitusIII » Mon May 19, 2008 9:03 pm

Hamilton upside is much higher than Rios' imo, and so is his 2008 production...Give me the Natural...
TitusIII
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers