Ales Rios vs. Johh Hamilton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ales Rios vs. Johh Hamilton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ales Rios vs. Johh Hamilton

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:09 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Ender wrote:I just don't believe Hamilton can hit lefties so either he ends up in a platoon or he hits like .265 because the lefties drag him down.

I was goin to say the same, U just beat me to it.

It was his first MLB season. If he makes some necessary adjustments and follows the expected growth path then he should be fine.

His body holding up is the biggest question mark for me but moving to AL should help some since he can DH.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J.C.Fighter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:14 pm

I don't think he'll really platoon . I agree though that his BA won't be really close to the one he had last season..
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby tmlfan4ever » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:15 pm

Yoda wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
Ender wrote:I just don't believe Hamilton can hit lefties so either he ends up in a platoon or he hits like .265 because the lefties drag him down.

I was goin to say the same, U just beat me to it.

It was his first MLB season. If he makes some necessary adjustments and follows the expected growth path then he should be fine.

His body holding up is the biggest question mark for me but moving to AL should help some since he can DH.

His expected growth path? He's a guy who just finished his first year and has established NO track record. Rios, on the other hand, has shown us a few years of production and has established a baseline for further growth.

Yoda, you also said that "given Rios' history, I don't think he'll go higher" - All his history shows is consistent growth across the board, so I don't know what you're saying.

Rios: 3 year growth in HR - 10,17,24 + Walk Rate Growth + consistent 15 SB production
Hamilton: 1 season of 19HR in 300AB, that's it

PS I know I'm a homer, but this is sound logic from one fantasy to another.

I think it's a no brainer, take Rios over Hamilton 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.
Last edited by tmlfan4ever on Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:21 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:His expected growth path? He's a guy who just finished his first year and has established NO track record. Rios, on the other hand, has shown us a few years of production and has established a baseline for further growth. I think it's a no brainer, take Rios over Hamilton 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.

PS I know I'm a homer, but this is more logic as a fantasy owner than anything else.

Uh yeah everyone, even guys who miss time for different reasons, have an expected growth path. He was a huge prospect and hit everywhere he's been. The fact that he missed 4 years of baseball and put up those lines is very impressive. If he can do that with such little experience at higher levels, then what do you think he is capable with more experience?

No one in his right mind would choose Rios over Hamilton if both were on the board so you are not alone there. However, their production relative to their cost in 08 will make them closer than you think.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby tmlfan4ever » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:23 pm

Fair enough, I just think track-record, health (aside from a fluke infection in 2006), and growth are all built into Rios' price, and I think those are the kinds of things that fantasy owners SHOULD pay for or else we'd all be taking Ryan Braun 1st overall.
tmlfan4ever
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:28 pm

tmlfan4ever wrote:Fair enough, I just think track-record, health (aside from a fluke infection in 2006), and growth are all built into Rios' price, and I think those are the kinds of things that fantasy owners SHOULD pay for or else we'd all be taking Ryan Braun 1st overall.

No one is debating that. It is just my opinion that Hamilton's production won't be too far from Rios's. Rios is obviously a much safer pick but that doesn't mean that he will 100% outproduce everyone below his draft spot.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby AcidRock23 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:48 pm

The other thing to consider about Hamilton is that the projection systems (Pecota, Shandler are the ones I'm most familiar with but I'm sure other ones use them too...) typically use some type of historical data to project a career path for a player and, while there were some crazy players X-I, I can't think of too many who missed as much time as Hamilton sitting around getting wrecked smoking crack, etc.

I am not sure that that is a totally bad thing though as he seems to have cleaned up pretty much all of the way so he would likely play 'younger' than his actual age b/c he doesn't have ridiculous mileage on his chassis, riding busses around A Ball or whatever other challenges young players face on the way up. He missed out on some development time but, at least last year, he seemed to do ok despite that particular handicap.

Rios, OTOH, is getting older and is kind of getting a bit long in the tooth and, if he does not break out and have a massive season soon, we could probably consider him to be at the top of his game. Which is still good but maybe not what the Jays were hoping for out of him? Sort of like Wells, great player but not HOF material.

I like them both a lot but there are intriguing pros and cons to both of their situations. I'd probably rather have Rios but somebody else kept him but I got Hamilton cheap a ways into our auction and don't think that I have any great expectations out of him. I would not want to count on him as an OF stud but as a later round guy, I think he'll be ok and has some potential. Somebody else kept Rios so I didn't get a shot at him.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby glcmustliveon » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:46 am

What is the question anyway? Who will produce the best stats? or who will be the better value? You would have to be nuts to say with any reasonable amount of certainty that Hamilton is going to out PRODUCE Rios. Rios has about 2 years of solid, top 20 OF type seasons, Hamilton has 1/2 of a season, where he proved he still can't hit lefties. I think Hamilton is a nice sleeper, and having them both isn't out of the question either. Put it this way, I wouldn't mind having Rios as my #1 Outfielder, and I would be very concerned if Hamilton had to start for my team.

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby davidmarver » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:56 am

I don't know who Ales Rios or Johh Hamilton are.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Steelers Rule » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:10 pm

Hamilton's on fire in spring training :-*
Steelers Rule
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers