Ales Rios vs. Johh Hamilton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Ales Rios vs. Johh Hamilton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Ales Rios vs. Johh Hamilton

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:29 pm

hot4tx wrote:Josh Hamilton could put up numbers with similar value to Rios, but so could Kemp, D Young, Justin Upton, Francouer, J Hermida, J Willingham, M Cameron, J Bruce, etc. They are less likely to, but they could do it. Or they could continue to do about what they've been doing or regress.

So if you're counting on Josh Hamilton to put up Rios numbers in order to make it worth it for you I think that's a bad idea, as Rios could just as likely ascend into the elite hitters this year.

I'm not so sure that Rios will ascend much higher than where he is. Chances are he will stay around where he is. I think given Hamilton's pedigree (GTWMA would love this argument), park and another year of experience that he has a chance to absolutely break out in 08. Not to say that I would trade Rios for Hamilton straight up since Rios's perceived value is much higher but Hamilton seems like the real deal. He was probably the highest regarded prospect since Arod.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mweir145 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:32 pm

Yoda wrote:
hot4tx wrote:Josh Hamilton could put up numbers with similar value to Rios, but so could Kemp, D Young, Justin Upton, Francouer, J Hermida, J Willingham, M Cameron, J Bruce, etc. They are less likely to, but they could do it. Or they could continue to do about what they've been doing or regress.

So if you're counting on Josh Hamilton to put up Rios numbers in order to make it worth it for you I think that's a bad idea, as Rios could just as likely ascend into the elite hitters this year.

I'm not so sure that Rios will ascend much higher than where he is. Chances are he will stay around where he is. I think given Hamilton's pedigree (GTWMA would love this argument), park and another year of experience that he has a chance to absolutely break out in 08. Not to say that I would trade Rios for Hamilton straight up since Rios's perceived value is much higher but Hamilton seems like the real deal. He was probably the highest regarded prospect since Arod.

I still think Rios is capable of much more than he's done these past few years, he still hasn't reached his peak. I'm still not completely sure if he'll ever reach that lofty potential, though.

However, I agree, Hamilton could very easily put up similar numbers to Rios this season, if not better ones.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:38 pm

mweir145 wrote:I still think Rios is capable of much more than he's done these past few years, he still hasn't reached his peak. I'm still not completely sure if he'll ever reach that lofty potential, though.

However, I agree, Hamilton could very easily put up similar numbers to Rios this season, if not better ones.

He may experience a power spike but given his history, I don't see him becoming a first round pick type player.

Hamilton is just a freak. He missed 4 years of development and knocked the cover off the ball last year. He's got a ridiculous ceiling still at age 27.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lenny Dykstra » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:27 pm

Yoda, that's pretty much my thinking. I'm not saying I would trade each other straight up as of now. But when it's time to choose my keepers, i'm torn, should it be Rios with this year left of eligibility or Hamilton with 2 years? Now i'm thinking, keep Rios and go for Josh early.
Lenny Dykstra
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Guttenburg » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:15 pm

Also agree that Hamilton outproducing Rios is not all that farfetched of a notion.
Guttenburg
College Coach
College Coach

Postby glcmustliveon » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:56 pm

Also don't forget that Alex Rios was an uber prospect several years ago

"I hope he arouses the fire that's dormant in the innermost recesses of my soul." --Ichiro Suzuki on Dice-K
glcmustliveon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:02 pm

glcmustliveon wrote:Also don't forget that Alex Rios was an uber prospect several years ago

True but not nearly as uber as Hamilton was several years ago. :-D
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby pat189 » Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:19 pm

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hamilton got more Homers, but Rios will give you better stats in every other category pretty much (maybe not RBI also)

However, Rios is going wayyyyyyyyy too early in drafts imo...

I hate that he is on Toronto, he would be a 30 SB guy on a different team, Gibbons doesn't like to run it seems...
pat189
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Ender » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:37 am

I just don't believe Hamilton can hit lefties so either he ends up in a platoon or he hits like .265 because the lefties drag him down. He hasn't played a full season in forever so he'll probably wear down if he manages to stay healthy and my money is against that happening. Either way I don't see a good reason to expect him to match Rios this season or be a top 15 OF. I think I'd rather just wait another 7 rounds and take Ankiel who has just as much risk/upside.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:00 pm

Ender wrote:I just don't believe Hamilton can hit lefties so either he ends up in a platoon or he hits like .265 because the lefties drag him down.

I was goin to say the same, U just beat me to it.
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers