Position Scarcity 2008 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Position Scarcity 2008

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Position Scarcity 2008

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:45 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Yoda,

I find your strategy intriguing. Here's an interesting question that has correlation to position scarcity...

Often times people say that they draft the best available in the first few rounds, no matter what. What if you have the 3-5th pick of the draft and you take David Wright, and on the way back in the 2nd round, Ryan Braun is still on the board? Do you take him simply because he's the highest guy on your draft board, even though you already have a 3rd baseman? (I used Braun as an example but this can be done with any position...1b with any of the top 4, shortstop if somehow Rollins slipped to the 2nd round and you already had Hanley/Reyes...etc.)

What if your league has more than one utility spot (mine has 3)? Does that make it easier to pick two studs at the same position?

Basically, when do you start thinking about positional scarcity?

Yeah I would grab both if I have Wright and Braun ranked higher at that position than anyone else. Unless I view someone that is very close in value that is at another position, I wouldn't care if I filled the same position again.

I would think that more than 1 U spot would make it easier to focus on value and not position.

Around the middle of the draft I look at position more closely. If I have a breakout candidate at a certain position that I feel will finish top 25 for instance, then I will make sure I grab him despite players still available that are perceived as higher picks.

But everyone is different. I'm sure there are people who are successful when focusing on positions more than value. I just feel more comfortable knowing that I will get the production from the guys I pick early on no matter where they are. Also, I do quite a bit of retooling during the season. I find it easier to fill SS/2B during the season than OF for instance.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:58 pm

Cool, here's another question:

Where is Utley in your rankings? Do you automatically drop him down significantly because most of his value is in that he's a 2B? Would you consider taking him in the 1st round or would you rather take someone who will just contribute more overall, even if that person is a 1B?
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Ender » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:22 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:Cool, here's another question:

Where is Utley in your rankings? Do you automatically drop him down significantly because most of his value is in that he's a 2B? Would you consider taking him in the 1st round or would you rather take someone who will just contribute more overall, even if that person is a 1B?

None of Utley's value is from being a 2B. Straight up by stats he is in my top 8, people seem to forget he got hurt last year. 30-35 HR, 10-15 SB, 110-120 R, 105-110 RBI, .300-.330 AVG is a legit mid to late first round pick.

There is this mistaken belief that Utley "doesn't steal anymore". He had 9 SB last yaer in 132 games, in a full year you still expect 10-15 out of him.
Last edited by Ender on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:33 pm

He is probably near the end of my top 12. I don't do straight overall rankings but set up tiers. Then I have a rough projection for each player and compare them to player at other positions.

I will never end up with him since he will never fall that far.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby abrage22 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:24 pm

OF seems actually somewhat shallow this year... :-?
abrage22
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Philly_05 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:34 pm

C- You got the 4 C's then everyone else is about the same
1B- You got about 9 guys who I would feel comfortable having on my team past that weak
2B- Very deep this year lots of solid talent
SS-Outside the top 5 it's rather shallow
3B- Outside of the top 7 guys very weak
OF- The Weakest position this year imo not a lot out there after the studs
SP- Plenty to be had
RP- Shallow worse only to C and OF waiting till the late rounds isn't going to cut it this year boys
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 637)

Postby kaiser » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:57 pm

I don't know if I agree that RP is that shallow (more than normal, anyway). In the mocks I have been doing, guys like Gregg, Borowski and Jones are still sitting there in the 17th or 18th rounds. Those are ten-team mocks, and I know those aren't the top guys, but I'd take all three and be satisfied going into the season...
kaiser
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 308)

Postby Yoda » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:29 pm

kaiser wrote:I don't know if I agree that RP is that shallow (more than normal, anyway). In the mocks I have been doing, guys like Gregg, Borowski and Jones are still sitting there in the 17th or 18th rounds. Those are ten-team mocks, and I know those aren't the top guys, but I'd take all three and be satisfied going into the season...

See... I wouldn't. I'd rather draft MRs like Bell, Neshek, Broxton, Betancourt types who are great pitchers and next in line for SVs instead of watching those bozos implode regularly.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:36 pm

Ender wrote:

None of Utley's value is from being a 2B. Straight up by stats he is in my top 8, people seem to forget he got hurt last year. 30-35 HR, 10-15 SB, 110-120 R, 105-110 RBI, .300-.330 AVG is a legit mid to late first round pick.

There is this mistaken belief that Utley "doesn't steal anymore". He had 9 SB last yaer in 132 games, in a full year you still expect 10-15 out of him.

It certainly does. Nick Markakis last year bat .300 with 23 HR, 92 R, 112 RBI and 18 SB, and projects to improve in nearly every area (I personally expect 28-30 HR), and he's being taken in the 4th Round or later. You put Chase Utley in the OF, and he is certainly not a concensus first round pick. And don't get me wrong, I love the guy as a fantasy player, and have since he stopped platooning.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Snakes Gould » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:38 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Ender wrote:

It certainly does. Nick Markakis last year bat .300 with 23 HR, 92 R, 112 RBI and 18 SB, and projects to improve in nearly every area (I personally expect 28-30 HR), and he's being taken in the 4th Round or later. You put Chase Utley in the OF, and he is certainly not a concensus first round pick. And don't get me wrong, I love the guy as a fantasy player, and have since he stopped platooning.

you seem to love every phillies player. me likey.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers